PDA

View Full Version : How many calories each day?

rakrecak
08-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I want to start a cut, but I'm not sure how many calories I should be taking each day. I currently weigh 183-184 pounds, I'm 20 years old, and I'm going to be lifting 3 days a week and doing 30 minutes of fairly high cardio (burning about 500 calories) 3 times a week. I started consuming only 2000 calories each day about a week ago, but I haven't seen any results. I'm eating healthy calories, like cottage cheese, lean meat, protein shakes, etc. Any advice? Should I take in more calories, less calories, eat differently? How long should I have to wait until I see results? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

scanderson
08-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Ah if only you could get these kind of answers. I'm x years old, weight this amount at this hight ect. No formula exhists, that's what it's all about finding out what works for you. I think that your on the right track though. 2000 is a nice square place to start. I'd wait about three weeks from the time you start to see results and make changes then after the initital three weeks, if you keep things real clean you'll be able to see results and make adjustments every 1-2 weeks usually. Also don't fool youself into believing the 500 calories your burning in cardio will remain constant just becuase the machine says so. You're body is gonna adapt and you'll get better at doing the exercise which from your body's perspective means burning less energy while performing hte same tasks. Depending on your body typs you might want to keep those cardio sessions moderate to high intensity so you don't sacrafice your hard earned muscle. Lastly you may even want to consider cutting out some or all or your dairy products depending how serious you are and what type of conditioning your looking to achieve. These are some things that I've found have helped me. best advice is to take your own through trial and error, good luck

Dedicated
08-03-2003, 05:31 PM
We are about the same size, I must weigh somewhere between 175 - 190. I also do cardio every other day for 30 minutes and lift weights on off-days. I'm slowly increasing muscle and losing fat by eating 1000-1200 calories a day. I avoid carbs and consume protein drinks and tuna mainly. Lots of protein, I think it's what is keeping me going. I drink a protein drink after my morning workout with a can of tuna usually and one protein drink before bed. I only drink water, don't need those wasted calories from other drinks. So just the powder and water nothing else, no milk etc. Also I take tons of vitamins. Try it if you want, check out my journal, it should be in my sig if I did it right heh. Just remember the first few days of eating like this are hard. But after like 3 days, your stomach will get used to it and your energy will be very high, maybe it's the protein I really don't know. Goodluck.

Edit- Also rip fuel is supposed to be good. It contains ephedra and is supposed to be very good for weightloss. A friend of mine took it and he said he loved it, and he's in GREAT shape, he gets ALL the girls heh. Anyways if you find a diet/schedule that's right for you that may be another option. Also just fyi, 1000-1200 calories is considered extremely low, I've been told it's unhealthy and that I will lose muscle, so try it at your own risk heh. So far I'm gaining muscle+losing fat though.

SoulOfKoRea
08-03-2003, 08:10 PM
you definitely need more than 2000 KCals at 180+lbs... don't drop the cals too quickly as it will shock your body.

rakrecak
08-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Why would you say that I need more than 2,000 calories each day? Before this, I wasn't really serious or big into bodybuilding, but I was a serious weight lifter. I'm just starting to try this new diet to see what kind of cut I can get. Before this, I wasn't really watching what I was eating too closely, and I definitely wasn't counting calories. I was probably taking in 3500 to 4000, but I can't be sure. I also have another question. I have heard that it is better to throw away your diet one day a week (ie. eat whatever you want) to keep your metabolism up so that your body doesn't adjust too much to a lower caloric intake. Is this true? Any thoughts on this?

PowerManDL
08-03-2003, 09:33 PM
People do realize we have a diet forum, right?

scanderson
08-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Speaking exclusively from personal experience and not at all from what I've been told, I religiously eat off my diet for one large meal once a week every week of my competition diet up to ten days out. I'm deffinitly in the unique side genetically, as I can get lean fast and easily so once a week I eat pizza, chicken fried steak and eggs with panacakes and bacon. This not only keeps me really full but it alows me to adhere to my diet perfectly. It's really not all that hard to eat perfectly during the work week then have a binge on Friday night or Saturday morning. You only go sox days before you can endulge. I recomend this type of dieting for most people of the leaner disposition who have a lot of trouble putting on size but have a six pack and decent hardness in 2-3wks of dieting and cardio.

bradley
08-04-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by rakrecak
Why would you say that I need more than 2,000 calories each day? Before this, I wasn't really serious or big into bodybuilding, but I was a serious weight lifter. I'm just starting to try this new diet to see what kind of cut I can get. Before this, I wasn't really watching what I was eating too closely, and I definitely wasn't counting calories. I was probably taking in 3500 to 4000, but I can't be sure.

If you were eating ~3500 cals per day and then you just dropped it down to 2000 while adding in cardio you are running the risk of slowing down your metabolism.

I would recommend just slowly dropping your daily calories each week, instead of just pulling some number out of the air and eating at that amount. If you were to slowly decrease your daily cals in small increments you would help in ensuring that you are not dropping cals too low or dropping cals too fast.

I also have another question. I have heard that it is better to throw away your diet one day a week (ie. eat whatever you want) to keep your metabolism up so that your body doesn't adjust too much to a lower caloric intake. Is this true? Any thoughts on this?

Yes it can be beneficial to eat above maintenance calorie level, but this would depend on some different factors (bf%, degree of calorie deficit, etc.).

A planned refeed is different from a cheat day, and if you want more info there is a sticky at the top of the forum. The article I posted below has some good info as well.

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm