PDA

View Full Version : full squatters

bmanderson
08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I was wondering, for those of you who have been successful in the full squat, what did you do to prevent your hips from rolling forward in the deepest position?

I corrected it by getting as flexible as possible in the hips, hams, groin. But it took a LONG time-- there's gotta be a faster method? Heavy sldl's? Some kind of stretching program?

Helping my buddy get flexible enough to full squat without a hip tuck at the bottom and consequently, a bend in the lower back, is discouraging when I tell him how long it takes to get that kind of form-- any suggestions?

Bill

benchmonster
08-04-2003, 02:46 PM
I am working on the same problem myself. He needs to do lots of stretching and strengthening of his hips. Have him do hurdle stretches, butterfly stretches, and put one foot up on a bench or box, and try and squat down from there, then switch feet.

Also have him stand in a squat stance, or slightly narrower, and without moving the feet, try to spread the floor, then try to pull feet toward one another, alternating every 10 seconds or so. this will help loosen up and activate the hip muscles.

Seems to me this is mostly a hip problem. I box squatted without doing any free squats for about 18 months, and developed this problem. I did not have this problem before box squatting. If you train on a box, you still IMHO need to be doing some free squatting on occasion to make sure you can still do it.

B.

BigCorey75
08-04-2003, 02:55 PM
stretch

just have him sit donw in the lowest stance possible and let him sit there and develop the neccessarily flexibility

bmanderson
08-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I appreciate the advice.

Getting in to the deep squat position is easy for him, his lower back just bends forward too much so it looks like he'd screw up his spine under a heavy load. He can hit parallel with a back arch, but deeper makes his hips tuck in. Hip flexors might be it. Thanks again.

silles
08-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Tight psoas pulling on the spine, tell him to do some posterior chain specialization and buy the book Relax Into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline, doing stretches targetting the hip flexors--do the above advice and he'll be full squatting with perfect form in a month.

bmanderson
08-06-2003, 09:48 AM
thanks again for the advice.

delldell
08-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Can someone post a picture of someone properly in the bottom position of a deep squat. I keep getting different answers to what it looks like and want to see something defninitive. Thanks.

CoASH
08-20-2003, 06:56 AM
your shins shouldn't really move either
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=1
(don't like exrx)

bmanderson
08-20-2003, 09:03 PM
I don't consider that an olympic full squat, it's fairly deep, but not ATF.

Looks more like a parallel squat with an emphasis on back.

What don't you like about exrx's full squat?

Delldell-- there's also an mpeg of Pyrros Dimas full squatting as a youngin' at his webpage-- www.pyrros.gr (it's under videos and it's labeled something like "Moments at --"

restless
08-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by bmanderson
I don't consider that an olympic full squat, it's fairly deep, but not ATF.

Looks more like a parallel squat with an emphasis on back.

Me neither. That's my regular squat depth and I call it a parallel squat.

CoASH
08-28-2003, 12:57 AM
you're right it wasn't olympic full squat
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=152