PDA

View Full Version : not hungry right after workout?

waynis
08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
ok when i come back from the gym i immediatly take my whey protein shake but im not hungry at all and cant stuff too much food down. i thought it was the best to get the most calories right after workout. is this wrong? should i just take my protein shake and thats it? then eat later when i am hungry? someone please help me with this

Silverback
08-04-2003, 03:05 PM
You are right in that post workout is a vital time in bodybuilding terms, within an hour of working out (pref 20 mins) A mixture of whey and simple sugars e.g. gatorade, smarties, dextrose etc... will give you the materials to aid the recovery process and help prevent catobolism ,thus creating anabolism.

Surely drinking a 750ml gatorade on top of your p/wo shake isnt going to fill you up that much?

Then an hour later you can have another meal concentrating on complex carbs and protein =.

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 03:13 PM
It's normal, I'm sure there is some anatomical explanation for it. I wake up hungry, work-out, then I am not as hungry, so it must be normal. I also have protein with water and tuna after my workout.

waynis
08-04-2003, 05:20 PM
so eating as a lot after workout is a myth? u just have to eat the right things? sugar is good after workout cuase it gets the protein to the muscles right? its odd that the protein shake doesnt contain sugars though?

Dedicated
08-04-2003, 05:27 PM
>>so eating as a lot after workout is a myth?

Yea if your trying to get bigger I think carbs after a workout are supposed to be good. I eat the tuna and protein cause I'm cutting back on carbs/calories. Trying to lose fat heh.

SoulOfKoRea
08-04-2003, 05:43 PM
post workout, on a cut or on a bulk, it does not matter, take your whey in water, mixed with a 2:1 ratio (carbs to protein) of high gi carbs(such as dextrose or maltodextrin) to replenish your depleted muscle glycogen stores, and yes, this will induce an insulin spike which will help shuttle the nutrients/whey/creatine/etc... to your muscles.

it does not matter when you eat.

d3adp
08-04-2003, 05:46 PM
i'm always hungry as hell after i lift...

entrrt
08-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by d3adp
i'm always hungry as hell after i lift... :withstupi

waynis
08-04-2003, 07:41 PM
so a turkey sandwhich with white bread should be good afterwards? how about drinking a soda. they got sugar, good amount of calories and no fat.

eatdirt40
08-04-2003, 08:25 PM
well eat ne ways its good for u, every minute u dont eat is precsious and muscle tissue is being destroyed and will cause u 2 be sore for longer than u needed to, make sure u eat some good soarces of carbs and protein right after u lift to help repair muscle tissue trust me it will help you a lot and give u good benifits.

SoulOfKoRea
08-04-2003, 09:06 PM
actually, post workout you want a fast digesting/absorbing protein source, that's where whey protein comes into play. the quick absorption of whey helps prevent catabolism.

a turkey sandwich one white bread is not ideal post workout, it would take longer to digest, and you would most likely be in a state of catabolism during digestion. soda = the devil, seriously, if you check the ingredients, look them up, research them, you will see that they're pure crap. aspartame or high fructose corn syrup are not very healthy.

waynis
08-04-2003, 10:13 PM
not just a turkey sandwhich. i ment eating a turkey sandwhich with my protein. i take the whey for the fast absorbtion, then the turkey and carbs for when the whey wears off. does that sound good?

in your opinion, what would be the best after workout meal.

bradley
08-05-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by waynis
in your opinion, what would be the best after workout meal.

Immediately post workout have some whey along with some type of fast digesting carbs (dextrose/maltodextrin) mixed with water. Then ~90 minutes later have another whole food meal that contains some protein, carbs, and fat.

waynis
08-05-2003, 09:47 AM
what is some type of fast digesting carbs? would tuna be good?

bradley
08-05-2003, 10:58 AM
what is some type of fast digesting carbs? would tuna be good?

Tuna would be a good source of protein.

Some fast digesting carbs would be things such as white bread, white rice, bagels, dextrose, maltodextrin, etc. Basically foods that are high on the glycemic index.

waynis
08-05-2003, 04:09 PM
so a turkey sanwhich with white bread would be ok too right after workout?

today i had my whey protein shake with a can of tuna.

bradley
08-05-2003, 04:25 PM
so a turkey sanwhich with white bread would be ok too right after workout?

today i had my whey protein shake with a can of tuna.

You need carbs after a workout, and the amount of carbs needed would be more than a regular sandwich will provide. You will need somewhere around 50g of carbs post workout, but this could vary depending on other factors. For now just shoot for 50g of carbs post workout.

Like I said above, immediately following your workout have your whey shake along with some high GI carbs that I mentioned above.

Then ~90 minutes later have a whole food meal that contains protein, carbs, and a little fat. This would be a good time for you turkey sandwich, tuna sandwich, etc.

I recommend that you read some of the articles on the WBB main page, which contain a lot of helpful information.