PDA

View Full Version : A little cardio in the mix?

steadygaining1
08-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Hi,
I am new to posting but have browsed the site religously for quite a while. I have been lifting for about 3 years, in the last year I have increased my intensity. I am 5'11" and weigh 175lbs. I currently do upper body 3 times a week and legs 2 times a week, I vary my exercises slightly every two weeks for a change. This method has really been working for me, I have tried different splits and currently I like this method best.My question is, I would like to put a little cardio in the mix, not for cutting, but just so I can eat a double whopper without guilt on cardio days;) . Should I do 20 min (2 miles) of cardio as a warm up on leg days? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

defcon
08-05-2003, 06:38 AM
you'd have to do a hella lot more then 20 mins of cardio to burn off that burger :P

AllUp
08-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Hmm:/ 175*2 = 350 / 3.5 = 100cal/mile according to that site I saw on one of the posts from Determined.

>> http://www.bodyfatguide.com/PoundADay.htm

Better Start walking :D

-Allup

IronDaddy
08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
A regular whopper is about 600 calories. Double is probably close to 1000. Even doing HIIT that at least an hour of cardio and full speed. Is it worth it?
Burger King is the Devil!!!:soapbox:

Rudee
08-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Move your cardio to the end of your workout, after you've done your strength training. Your strength training workout should of used up much of your glycogen, which gives you a better chance of tapping into your fat stores when you start your cardio session. If you're doing cardio on the same day you do your strength training, limit your cardio sessions to no longer than one-half hour. Too much cardio - when combined with strength training - can throw you into overtraining mode. Especially if you're on a restricted calorie diet.

eatdirt40
08-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by steadygaining1
My question is, I would like to put a little cardio in the mix, not for cutting, but just so I can eat a double whopper without guilt on cardio days;) . Should I do 20 min (2 miles) of cardio as a warm up on leg days? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The best thing for cutting down fat in my opinion is HIIT

HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It means working at a high intensity (above anaerobic threshold), slowing down to recover, and then repeating. In my workout when I write "Interval 8 -- 60 sec 12.0 mph / 60 sec 7.0 mph -- ~95%? MHR", it means that I ran for 60 seconds with the treadmill set to 12.0mph, then I slowed down to 7mph for 60 seconds and recovered. After the 60 second recovery was complete, I started interval 9 at 12.0mph again.

In one research study HIIT was found to reduce bf 3x more than a similar length of duration endurance training type cardio (see http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html). However, it is unclear how much of the change was due to the increased RMR after the activity was complete (burned more calories). HIIT increases metabolism more than standard cardio, and exerts a steady state repartitioning effect that helps one lose bf while maintaining weight. Some types of intervals have been shown in research to increase certain aspects of cardiovascular fitness in a dramatic fashion, such as VO2Max. The type of interval program depends on your goals. Short intervals with near max intensity and full recovery tend to be better for partitioning, while incomplete recovery tends to produce more rapid cardiovascular benefits. Different lengths of intervals stress and improve different systems.

HIIT is an excellent way to improve fitness and body composition, but it also has its disadvantages such as a high risk of overtraining and injury, especially in beginners. It increases need for recovery, feels unpleasant for many, can be difficult to do in a gym, and carries a risk of catabolism with certain diets. HIIT cardio effects the body in different ways from traditional cardio, so in some cases a person who does both types benefits the most. I think the ideal program involves a combination of HIIT and traditional cardio.

some addition knowledge about his http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fitness_Articles/articles/January_2003_articles/hiit_and_other_interval_training.htm

The info i recieved is from aka so thx for the info man!

steadygaining1
08-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Thnaks for all the input. BTW the double whopper was a joke:cool: