PDA

View Full Version : Baffled in wonderland

Shooter223
08-05-2003, 08:25 AM
I don't get it. I have been very strict about eating and excercise the last four weeks and my weight is not changing.

Basically, I came home from my last trip over a month ago at 203 pounds. I went back on a more healthy diet and restarted my program of power walking 45 minutes a day, lifting weights every other day.

I now weigh 200 pounds.

WTF? I know I need to lose more weight. If I can believe my scale (Tamita) I have 28% body fat. I can just LOOK and see at least 10 pounds of fat around the middle.

So why doesn't it want to go? What the heck do I have to do?

Look, losing this weight is more important to me than building muscle. Should I change strategy?

Tryska
08-05-2003, 08:32 AM
how much are you eating a day?

mikey4402
08-05-2003, 08:52 AM
if you can i would try jogging, it more intence and also you wont have to jog as long. as tryska said, how much are you eating, how many calories. and what types of food are you eating?

SoulOfKoRea
08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, this can be attained through diet or activity levels.

Shooter223
08-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys.

I think I am eating about 2500 calories a day. That seems to equal a calory deficit for a guy my size and activity level. But, I guess not.

What I am eating is a healthy diet. Lots of protein (shakes and cottage cheese, chicken and the like) and fruits and veggies. I am not doing any Atkins thing and eat carbos, but not so much bread, potatos or rice. More veggies and fruits.

And most of what I eat is fresh not canned.

I don't get it. I gave up the sodas. The chocolate, the sugar (mostly) and fries and such. I changed from sedentary to active (for an old man). And I do not drop any more weight. It should be falling off of me.

I dunno. I think I might just add a 20 minute hard cycle ride (indfoor - it is 105 degrees out there) and see if that helps.

Can't eat less or my body will think I am in a famine and shut down my metabolism - I think.

Holto
08-05-2003, 10:33 AM
more EFA's

it's the only think I can think of

at your weight eating 2500 and exercising every day you should be losing more

are you gaining muscle ?

also, the stomach is the last thing to go

make sure you are losing fat from other areas and you are fine

you may want to buy a caliper it will be a great deal more accurate than you tanita

Shooter223
08-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Are EFAs something I can get as a supplement?

SoulOfKoRea
08-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Shooter223
Are EFAs something I can get as a supplement?

EFA's are Essential Fatty Acids, you can eat a lot of oily fish, or supplement with fish oils to get in enough omega 3 fatty acids, and for omega 6 fatty acids you can eat natural peanut butter, nuts, cook with olive oil, etc... but most people get enough omega 6's. Definitely invest in fish oil supplements, either capsule or the liquid kinds.

IronDaddy
08-05-2003, 11:52 AM
HIIT! If your goal is losing weight power walking a couple times won't cut it. It's a good start though. HIIT is harder but takes a lot less time.

Shooter223
08-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Sometimes we just aren't very smart.

When I first started this program, I was doing more of the Body for Life excercise each day than the power walking. It was only 20 minutes but more intense.

I figured since I was power walking I didn't need to do that. And I won't give up the walking since it is one of the few things I do with my wife. But, I shall add the HIIT cycling back into the schedule.

And I will get fish oil supplements.

Thanks guys. We shall see.