PDA

View Full Version : Bulking up ...

eps
08-05-2003, 09:24 AM
I weigh 130 lbs and so my goal is to gain 30 pounds over a period of time... but how do I gain those 30 pounds without gaining a lot of bodyfat at the same time?

What should I generally try to eat? And how much and how often?

This is probably not that simple of a question, but some kind of outline would definitely be helpful.

What does cutting mean? I see that word used here a lot :-)

Thanks

IronDaddy
08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm sure you know this but eat, eat and eat. Eat clean foods, no boxed foods or fast food that's what makes people fat. Get 5 - 6 meals a day. I usually shoot for 2 1/2 hrs between meals.

This is very general info. Just do some searching around the forum and you should find all the answers already available.

BTW: Cutting is when you bringing your body fat down or cutting weight/bodyfat.

SoulOfKoRea
08-05-2003, 09:39 AM
you would have to bulk slowly, increasing cals above maintenance just enough to grow every week, but start increasing cardio or HIIT activities to keep body fat low.

try to eat high protein foods, 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight is the staple that us BB'ers use... try to get atleast ~25% of your daily calories from healthy fat sources - fish, fish oils, various nuts, olive oil, natural peanut butter... the remaining cals can be filled in with complex carbs in the low GI's like oatmeal, yams, brown rice, etc...

do a search for glycemic index (GI)

might want to try and fit in 6 small meals, spaced apart every 2.5-3 hours to keep your protein intake up, but if you don't feel full(or reach satiety) then you might just want to eat 4-5 meals with a snack or something.

carbs - eat lots of fiber, fibrous vegetables, whole grain foods, whole wheat bread, keep carbs limited to low GI carbs, except for post workout when you want high GI carbs to replenish your muscle glycogen stores.

protein sources - lean cuts of steak, chicken breasts, turkey(not the packaged kinds), tuna, fish, eggs/fat-free milk, etc...

you need to eat healthy fats to get in your Essential Fatty Acids - Omega 3's and Omega 6's. omega 3's you can get from fish, fish oil supplements, flax seeds... 6's you can get from peanuts, almonds, other nuts, but most people get enough omega 6's throughout the day...

cutting = cutting calories, cutting usually follows a bulking cycle to shed the bodyfat and to see the hard-earned muscle...

SoulOfKoRea
08-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by IronDaddy
Eat clean foods, no boxed foods or fast food that's what makes people fat.

People are fat because they overeat, not because of fast food. Fast food has a lot of Calories, and tons of saturated fats and trans fatty acids(TFA's), but that only plays into the grand scheme of the persons diet.

IronDaddy
08-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea

People are fat because they overeat, not because of fast food. Fast food has a lot of Calories, and tons of saturated fats and trans fatty acids(TFA's), but that only plays into the grand scheme of the persons diet.

Well lets see...
One guy can get 3000 calories a day by eating fast food 3 x a day.

Or
The other guy can get 3000 calories a day in 6 meals w/ chicken tuna etc...

Who's going to get in better shape?

yes, it's about how much you eat but it's also about what you eat.

Holto
08-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by IronDaddy

Well lets see...
One guy can get 3000 calories a day by eating fast food 3 x a day.

Or
The other guy can get 3000 calories a day in 6 meals w/ chicken tuna etc...

Who's going to get in better shape?

*** the guy who trains harder

yes, it's about how much you eat but it's also about what you eat.

*** false

there are a ton of recent clinical studies that destroy the whole preached dogma of 5-6 meals a day

if you eat crap you will be hungrier and your overall health (toxicity) will be poorer

but this will have very little effect on lean mass and bodyfat percentage

jugheadkills
08-05-2003, 02:18 PM
yo IronDaddy, i think SoulofKorea is right. People are not fat becuaes they eat fast food and boxed food... true that eating tuna and chicken 6 meals per day will yield better results than eating 3 fast food meals, but that was not Soul's point. he was just saying people are fat because they eat more than necessary...

Holto
08-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jugheadkills
true that eating tuna and chicken 6 meals per day will yield better results than eating 3 fast food meals

do you have any facts to support this statement ?

assuming both diets yielded enough EAA's & EFA's and total cals were the same results would be the same for the trainer

(I'm not advocating a fast food lifestyle)

IronDaddy
08-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Holto

do you have any facts to support this statement ?

I've lived it. Going to school, working full time, wife & kids. I've personally tried this and all I can say is I get fat on fast food and processed food with same amount of excercise.
Here's one example:
One time when I was a youngster...
My wife and I were just married and I had a measly paying job. We were moving into a newly built studio (really small) but the stove wasn't working yet. We lived on fast food and such for about two weeks. By the end of the two weeks I felt like I had the flu. I was miserable. Fast food just doesn't have the nutrients and such as fresh meets etc...
Obviously this isn't a scientific study and everyone's body reacts differently in different situations but I've seen the effects.

Perhaps I mistated myself earlier by generalizing and saying processed and fast foods make you fat but I can honestly say in my case it's true. I do know there are some people out there who can eat whatever whenever and never have to worry about their health from it. Lucky them.

Holto
08-05-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm talking about a situation where calories are equal

I'm sure while you were living off fast food you were taking in more calories then before your move

as for health I wouldn't want to live off it, no question