PDA

View Full Version : So I finally bought some Dextrose...

Mic Soloist
08-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Now please explain what I should do with it.

I take 21 grams of 100% Whey w/ 1 cup skim milk B4 and after my workout(42g total). Since I've had no dextrose in the past I have been eating 1 slice of white bread with my post WO shake.

Now I have the dextrose and I was wondering...

1. What is it for??

2. What will it do for me that the shake alone or the shake with the bread wouldn't??

3. How much do I mix in with the shake??

4. Will the fact I use milk instead of H20 make a difference??

5. I'm assuming I need to add the carbs from the dextrose in with my daily total(duh...) so what will that mean for the rest of my diet?? I guess I'll have to yank a bunch of carbs out since the dextrose will take up a few.

Anyway, please inform me.

Thanks in advance

-peace-

bradley
08-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
1. What is it for??

Provides fast absorbing carbs to replenish glycogen stores post workout, and carbs post workout will bring the body into a more anabolic state.

2. What will it do for me that the shake alone or the shake with the bread wouldn't??

Protein alone would not be an effecient way to refill muscle glycogen, and dextrose will do the same thing as other carbs sources would, just faster.

3. How much do I mix in with the shake??

Well it would depend on how many carbs you are taking in pre-workout and how many carbs you are taking in with the milk.

Really if you are still planning on using milk in you pre/post workout shakes the dextrose is not going to really make that much of a difference, because the milk is going to slow the digestion of the shake.

I really do not think that it is going to make that much of a difference, as long as you eat something before training, whether it be a whole food meal a couple of hours before training that consists of protein and low GI carbs, or a pre-workout shake immediately before training consisting of high GI carbs and whey protein.

If you eat a whole food meal consisting of low GI carbs and protein a couple of hours before your training session you should still have some amino acids and glucose floating around.

After training have your shake that consists of some high GI carbs and protein mixed in water. Somewhere around 50g of carbs and 25g of protein would probably be sufficient. Then ~90 minutes later have a whole food meal that contains some protein, carbs, and fat.

4. Will the fact I use milk instead of H20 make a difference??

Yes, as I mentioned above. If you have not read the article below I would take a look, and it should help answer some of your questions.:)

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=110

5. I'm assuming I need to add the carbs from the dextrose in with my daily total(duh...) so what will that mean for the rest of my diet?? I guess I'll have to yank a bunch of carbs out since the dextrose will take up a few.

Yes, just count the calories from the post workout shake towards your daily total and adjust your macros accordingly.

Mic Soloist
08-05-2003, 04:16 PM
how many grams of high GI carbs do i need pre workout with my shake???

What are some high GI carbs???

bradley
08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
how many grams of high GI carbs do i need pre workout with my shake???[b]

~25-35g pre workout

[[b]
What are some high GI carbs???

Dextrose, maltodextrin, white bread, white rice, bagels, white potatoes, etc.

If you want to look up various foods you can go to www.glycemicindex.com.

Mic Soloist
08-05-2003, 07:38 PM
so if i have my 25-35 high GI carbs and a shake pre workout...

will just a shake be alright post workout??

-peace-

bradley
08-06-2003, 03:31 AM
so if i have my 25-35 high GI carbs and a shake pre workout...

will just a shake be alright post workout??

You would still need some carbs post workout as well (~50g).