PDA

View Full Version : Amount of water/milk in protein shake..does it really matter?

MD2000
08-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Since the shake usually tastes like crap (unless I mix something in it)..I usually put very little fluid. Only 1/2 a cup to 1 cup. Does it really matter? I was talking to someone and they said it should be more like 16 oz..

But its gonna end up in your stomache one way or another..right?

unshift
08-05-2003, 01:39 PM
the only reason to change volume would be for taste :)

anyone telling you that adding 4oz of water versus 20oz of water bears any difference is lying (assuming you're not dehydrated, etc)

mikey4402
08-05-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah, i fill 2/3 of a cup of milk with my shake, but it dont realy matter that much besides the tast

SoulOfKoRea
08-05-2003, 03:29 PM
it doesn't matter in water, but in milk and other drinks then it would because more drink= more calories, but other than the calories changing, no it would not matter :D

I just put in enough liquids to dissolve everything, hate that gritty sand texture...

Fenway
08-05-2003, 03:43 PM
I USE 8oz of water for my pre and post shakes, anytime i do a MRP with milk its two cups

bradley
08-05-2003, 05:22 PM
I think it plays more of a role than you would think:)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1875801&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3313617&dopt=Abstract

hemants
08-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Large amounts of protein without adequate hydration can be a problem.

Whether you mix it with the shake or take it before or after doesn't really matter.

jixxxer
08-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MD2000
Since the shake usually tastes like crap (unless I mix something in it)..I usually put very little fluid. Only 1/2 a cup to 1 cup. Does it really matter? I was talking to someone and they said it should be more like 16 oz..

But its gonna end up in your stomache one way or another..right?

I'm with you on this one. I hate protien powder , so I mix as little water as possible to drink it. I dont think it makes that big of deal.

bradley
08-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jixxxer

I'm with you on this one. I hate protien powder , so I mix as little water as possible to drink it. I dont think it makes that big of deal.

As long as you have been staying adequately hydrated throughout your workout then it is not going to make that much of a difference, as hemants stated above.

On the other hand if there was not much water in your stomach, then consuming a post workout shake mixed with a small amount of water would delay gastric emptying as opposed to a shake mixed in a larger amount of water.

AllUp
08-06-2003, 11:31 AM
hehe is cool to drink water and protein but not neccesarily at the same time. Supposedly Water speeds the adsorbtion of the protein(says the same on most mrp's/protein bars).

Solution:
Drink the protein shake at 1/2 cup water, then guzzle water afterwards, You figure it will all end up in your gut and the protein will eventually dillute in the water and be used as if it was mixed with a bunch of water. RIGHT? :D

jixxxer
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Good idea allup!

MD2000
08-07-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by AllUp
Solution:
Drink the protein shake at 1/2 cup water, then guzzle water afterwards, You figure it will all end up in your gut and the protein will eventually dillute in the water and be used as if it was mixed with a bunch of water. RIGHT? :D [/B]
Yep..thats exactly what I do..since I can't drink it together..I drink it later..Thanks

noraa
08-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Its basically about the osmotic gradient. If the solution you are putting into the body is hyperosmotic, you will draw water from the body to dilute it and make it easier for the body to digest, which all takes time. if you put in a solution that is hypo-osmotic, the uptake will be a lot quicker.