PDA

View Full Version : those liquid eggs

waynis
08-05-2003, 04:13 PM
hey ive been wondering this for a while. they sell that liquid all white eggs in the store. is it safe to drink it straight or with a shake? it says its pasterized but do u still have to cook it for it to be safe. thanks

SquareHead
08-05-2003, 04:14 PM
No you can drink it. Im not saying it will be yummie but you can drink it and be safe.

MrWebb78
08-05-2003, 04:20 PM
i used to drink one carton a day, the aftertaste is pretty nasty.

waynis
08-05-2003, 04:21 PM
awesome, im not worrying about the taste. just dont wanna get sick or get poisoned. thanks

bradley
08-05-2003, 04:31 PM
~50% of the protein is digestable from a raw egg whites as compared to ~90% for a cooked egg. When you cook an egg you deactivate the protein avidin. If you eat uncooked egg whites the protein avidin will bind to biotin, which will hinder the absorption of the protein, and could also lead to a biotin deficiency.

Beast
08-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bradley
~50% of the protein is digestable from a raw egg whites as compared to ~90% for a cooked egg. When you cook an egg you deactivate the protein avidin. If you eat uncooked egg whites the protein avidin will bind to biotin, which will hinder the absorption of the protein, and could also lead to a biotin deficiency.
If only Rocky would have known that. :)

Anyways, I never buy those egg whites in a carton things. It makes no sense. One carton is like $3, while a dozen eggs is like $1.50. It's not hard to remove the egg whites, either.

SquareHead
08-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Bradly why do you allways have to spoil a good thing man? :D
J/K brad good info as always.

I agree w/ NDBeast. And to add to his list of cons... They taste nasty and leave a strange "egg skin" when you cookem.

waynis
08-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by bradley

so its not a good thing then? u recommend cooking the liquid if anything?

hard boiled is probably the best way isnt it?

mikey4402
08-05-2003, 07:38 PM
why not buy a carton of eggs and poache the whites. thats healthy

Holto
08-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Bradley:

what if you put the raw egg in a glass in the microwave on high for 25 seconds ?

it gets hot somewhat and sometimes white and puffy

I originally got the idea as a means of sterilization

bradley
08-06-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by waynis
so its not a good thing then? u recommend cooking the liquid if anything?

Yes I recommend cooking the eggs for reasons mentioned above.

hard boiled is probably the best way isnt it?

Well that is one way, but the method of cooking is not that important.

I agree with you in that hard boiling the eggs is convenient, but sometimes an egg white omelette is might tasty.:)

bradley
08-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Holto
Bradley:

what if you put the raw egg in a glass in the microwave on high for 25 seconds ?

I really don't know exactly how long you would have to cook the egg whites to deactivate avidin, but if the egg whites are turning white then that is probably enough. Might want to just heat them for a little longer, just to make sure.:)

Holto
08-06-2003, 10:33 AM
sweet

I'll have to leave it until it allmost turns solid and then see what its like blended

I just can't eat one of those things :eek:

baldguy
08-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Holto
I originally got the idea as a means of sterilization

This makes great fluffy eggs pretty quickly. I would recommend a ceramic coffee mug (they're thicker and less chance of breaking). Also spray some Pam or olive oil in there so it doesn't stick.

After separating egg whites for a week or so, it now takes no time, costs 25% of egg substitutes and tastes better. I do 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg in an omelette every morning. I mix in whatever's in the fridge (usually onions, green or red pepper, scraps of leftover meat, mushrooms, etc.). It's awesome topped with salsa. Lots of fiber, veggies, protein!

Toy-Yoda
08-08-2003, 10:14 PM
For some reason I cant eat much of an egg as if its too rich for me to digest.

Anyone know about this or have any suggestions?

harryhoudini66
08-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Speaking of Rocky..Stallone's diet looked way to crazy. I read he would eat about 300-500 calories per day. And that most of them were from eggs.

baldguy
08-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Toy-Yoda
For some reason I cant eat much of an egg as if its too rich for me to digest.

Anyone know about this or have any suggestions?

Whole eggs or egg whites?