PDA

View Full Version : Aitkins Diet?

JohnnyBlade
08-05-2003, 07:06 PM
How effective is the Dr. Aitkins "Protein Power Plan" diet? I've heard people say that it is a very effective and easy diet, especially for men.

Does anyone her have any first-hand experience with it?

Also, how well does it work in combination with weightlifting?
:help:

Berserker
08-05-2003, 07:28 PM
It works if your not lifting. Might want to try tkd, eating carbs before wo. Atkins takes lots of discipline. You can eat lots of great food, but you would kill for a glass a milk.

mikey4402
08-05-2003, 07:33 PM
my mom was on it for 6 weeks, she gave up she couldnt take it anymore. she did losse 20lbs

Dedicated
08-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Atkins is the no carb diet right? I'm eating none to little carbs and lifting, and yea it's hard, but I'm getting used to it. Although I'd kill for a piece of bread omg lol. I had a small amount of pasta today(cheated), but besides that low low carbs. I eat lots of protein, like 140ish+ grams a day, plenty of energy it's not a problem. And yes I'm losing fat.

Berserker
08-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Its not zero carbs, its 20gs a day for 2 weeks. Then you add carbs, don't remember how much. The first 2 weeks is the inducation, then you raise carbs to a level where you still lose weight, eventaullyh raising them to a level where you maintain.

eatdirt40
08-05-2003, 10:23 PM
EAT EAT EAT NO ATKINS DIET!!!!!

DoUgL@S
08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
The atkins diet (or lifestyle) is a lower carb diet compared to a balanced diet. Carb intake becomes very individualized. 20 carbs a day is for those who have a lot of weight to loose or want to kickstart ketosis (burning fat for fuel). Most people that do induction begin to add carbs gradually (5 g/wk) untill they stop loosing weight. At that point you have found your individual level of carb intake to maintain your weight. The diet requires that the carbs you do take in are those from nutrient dense foods such as vegetables, legumes and fruits. It usually means giving up pasta, white bread, sugar, sodas, and prepackaged fruit juices, and bleached white flour products (enriched or not). But it is very forgiving and everything else (i.e. potatoes, beans, rice) is pretty much fair game in moderation. Truthfully it is great for loosing fat, especially if you exercise. I lift and did not find it to be be detrimental. I have moved away from counting my carbs, but I do make better desisions about my foods. Wheat or low carb bread instead of white bread, same for pasta, fruit instead of fruit juices, etc. I am eating better (more balanced with more greens and veggies) because of my experience with the atkins diet. Hope this helps.

Scott S
08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
I tried it once before I started lifting seriously. I lost about 3 lbs a week for a month before I realized that I didn't look any better skinny! I would binge on carbohydrate foods all weekend, so in essence, I was doing a CKD. Next time I cut, I'm going to keep more of a normal macro balance.

Berserker
08-06-2003, 04:01 PM
When I diet I just limit carbs, don't count. Protein is the only thing I count in my diet.

harryhoudini66
08-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I started it today. Besides being more expensive then balanced dieting it can get boring. I have eaten like three different meats today.

DoUgL@S
08-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Try eating cheap sources of protein like eggs and tuna. Even on a balanced diet it can get expensive. The price of boneless skinless chicken breast is up there with most cuts of meat.

holly1221
08-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Can one really have unlimited amounts of calories on the Atkins diet, as long as they are carb free? What percentage fat to protein is recommended? I have been on the diet one week and haven't lost a pound... what might i be doing wrong (my ketosis strips say i'm in moderate ketosis)?

Please help this is upsetting.

bradley
08-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by holly1221
Can one really have unlimited amounts of calories on the Atkins diet, as long as they are carb free? What percentage fat to protein is recommended? I have been on the diet one week and haven't lost a pound... what might i be doing wrong (my ketosis strips say i'm in moderate ketosis)?

Please help this is upsetting.

A calorie is still a calorie whether it comes from fat or carbs, and the whole "eat all you want on a keto diet" is just a myth. On average most people tend to eat less when following a keto diet due to the effect that is has on most peoples appetite and also because of the limited food choices.

If you consume more calories than needed the body will store these calories as fat, regardless of whether insulin is present or not, thanks to ASP.:D

Berserker
08-12-2003, 04:29 PM
After awhile you don't feel like eating what your allowed.

harryhoudini66
08-12-2003, 08:18 PM
yeah, it can get boring but that is the price of beauty

as0l0
08-13-2003, 01:31 AM
yep, at first it's like "I can eat all this fat !!" but then later it turns into "I have to eat all this fat ~"

Berserker
08-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66

I wouldn't go that far.

barrelofmonkeys
08-21-2003, 09:44 PM
A buddy of mine was on it for a few months he lost about 45lbs but his cholestorol went through the roof.

Just cut the junk food and excersise. My sis is a prime example of what eating clean can do. she has benn heavy all her life. And just recentley at 20 she has lost 70 lbs. in only 7 months she dropped all junk food and works out 4 days a week for an hour.

john26
08-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66

i know quite a few people who have gone on atkins and ended up looking like **** when they did drop 30-50+ lb. one guy looked pretty sickly

i tried a TKD since i'm a football player. hated every day of it. very very bad for athletes imo, i couldn't get through practices or anything

TerraChyld
08-24-2003, 03:42 AM
I have also tried the atkins diet and I completely dropped the bread, pasta, rice, lasagne etc etc I didn't loose a single bloody pound and I was on it for a month.

I'm kinda desperate to find out what works and what doesn't.

Getting to the point where the girlfriend can't stand to be around me cos she think's i'm making it up.

Oh just for the record, i've been doing 2 hours of fat burning exercises as specified by my gym instructor 4 times a week. this ranges from the treadmill, bikes, xt machines that monitor the heart rate. This all aint working.

HEEEELP.

DoUgL@S
08-24-2003, 03:54 AM
You said you did atkins. What was your approach? I did Atkins and cheated a lot and was still able to loose 30 lbs, most of which was bodyfat, but I did begin a more disciplined workout routine.
If your gym instructor told you to do 2 hrs of fat burning excercise (cardio) 4 X week to loose weight, you need a new instructor. I am no expert. but if you do not do some resistance training to increase muscle mass, the hours and hours doing cardio will not be nearly as effective. Instead of doing 2 hrs of cardio, you might want to try HIIT (there are various threads on the subject you might want to do a search).

bradley
08-24-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by TerraChyld
I have also tried the atkins diet and I completely dropped the bread, pasta, rice, lasagne etc etc I didn't loose a single bloody pound and I was on it for a month.

If you were not in a calorie deficit, then you will not lose weight. There is nothing magical about ketosis, and ketosis itself does not cause you to burn fat.

I'm kinda desperate to find out what works and what doesn't.

A diet that creates a calorie deficit, and this can be accomplished through diet, activity, or a combination of the two. Make sure that you are taking in adequate amounts of protein and EFAs and then fill in the rest of the cals with protein, carbs, or fat.

Oh just for the record, i've been doing 2 hours of fat burning exercises as specified by my gym instructor 4 times a week. this ranges from the treadmill, bikes, xt machines that monitor the heart rate. This all aint working.

That is too much cardio IMO. Try out one of the WBB routines on the main page, and then throw in some cardio on your off days. Weight training will do more for overall body compostion changes than cardio.

Berserker
08-24-2003, 08:49 AM
I did for about 2 weeks lost around 8 lbs, I weighted around 160. Kept most of it off to, maybe a couple lbs were water. I wasn't working out at the time.

Trent_Steel
08-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Is atkins not bad for your health, Im into balanced diet, if you knock the body out of balance it can only spell trouble

bradley
08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Trent_Steel
Is atkins not bad for your health, Im into balanced diet, if you knock the body out of balance it can only spell trouble

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32579&highlight=ketogenic

Berserker
08-24-2003, 02:13 PM
The thing about Atkins is you will not be doing it forever. You have a weight loss period then add carbs until you stop losing.
I do beleive in a balanced diet, but Atkins is a tool.