PDA

View Full Version : JungleJim's new journal

JungleJim
08-06-2003, 08:14 AM
This is my second journal on this site. It's been nearly a year since I posted in my old journal so I figured it would be nice to start a new one.

I try to stick to free weights as much as possible. I have a history of knee dislocation and some back problems, so some of the exercises I choose are different from what others might choose. For example I avoid the military press and dead lifts, and use leg press instead of squats, since it's easier on my knees and back. You may also notice a few odd exercises, like the Lower Back Extension. Generally I use those for physical therapy rather than strength training.

I like to use abbreviations in my logs, so here they are:

Dips: Dips
DBP: Dumbbell Press
IDBP: Incline Dumbbell Press
CPD: Cable Pull-down (usually I'm referring to the one where you stand up and pull the bar down with your hands shoulder-width apart to work the triceps)
RDRW: Rear Deltoid Row
LP: Leg Press (no cables; the weight is racked to a slider that is pushed up at a 45 degree angle; it's very nice compared to some of the crappy leg press machines I've seen)
LC: Leg Curl (my gym used to have a really nice one where you laid on your stomach, but for some reason they replaced it with a sit-down type)
LE: Leg Extension
STCR: Standing Calf Raise
SCR: Seated Calf Raise
CH: Chins
DBC: Dumbbell Curl
HC: Hammer Curl
CRW: Cable Row
LBE: Lower Back Extension
CR: Crunches

Finally here is my first log of the new season.

Wednesday 8-6-03

Dips: BWx4x3
DBP: 35x7x4
RDRW: 110x8,115x4
IDBP: 30x5x4
CPD: 60x5x4

JustinF
08-06-2003, 08:17 AM
wohoo, I get the first :spam:

Good luck with your goals. What are they?

pruneman
08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
welcome back man
good luck and :spam:

JungleJim
08-11-2003, 07:56 AM
I guess my goal is to gain strength and muscle mass. I'm 6'0" and 165 lbs. I've always been a hard-gainer but my metabolism has slowed down somewhat in the past year. I'd like to gain twenty pounds or so and then reevaluate. I also run three times a week for cardio.

Monday 8-11-03

LP: 230x8,270x5
SCR: 45x20
LC: 95x6x4
STCR: 130x12
LE: 120x8,125x5

JustinF
08-11-2003, 07:59 AM
If you're looking to gain you may want to cut out the cardio a bit. I understand you may want it for cardiovascular health, but if you are already a hardgainer, that'll make it even harder.

JungleJim
08-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Well running also helps keep my knees in order, and that's a top priority for me. I was able to gain muscle weight while running last year, and my metabolism was higher then, so I don't think it will be too much of a problem. I don't mind making slow progress, I'm not in a race. If I hit a plateau then I may reevaluate.

Wednesday 8-13-03

Dips: BWx6x3
DBP: 35x8,40x2
RDRW: 115x8,120x4
IDBP: 30x7x3
CPD: 60x4x2