PDA

View Full Version : Some GOOD news

Shooter223
08-06-2003, 12:19 PM
No, I didn't suddenly start losing the last 10 pounds. And I am not noticeable stronger or larger muscles. That is still a slow and painful process I guess. Maybe at 48 it just takes longer.

But, I got good news from the doc. Last year in July, I was a 220 pound 2 pack a day (Winston) junk food eating (hmm Burger King) lazy slob. I went for a physical and at the end, the doc wanted me to go on drugs to control cholesterol. I thought my numbers were borderline and did not warrant taking drugs, and that a lifestyle change was the better solution.,

Since then, I am off smokes for over a year now, have lost 20 pounds to 200, workout every day in some manner (even if only walking hard for 45 minutes) and eat a healthy diet. the results:

Total cholesterol - last year 211............this year 147
Triglycerides - last year 198...............this year 72
LDL..................last year 135................this year 85
HDL (good)..........last year 43......now 47

Across the board sweep. Maybe a healthy lifestyle is better than just taking drugs for every symptom we get. Not that I rule out modern medicine. Just not taking drugs if I can fix the underlying problem with behavioral changes.

Cheers.

ElPietro
08-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Congrats man, that is a lot of change to go through, and I'm sure you are just getting started. :thumbup:

SquareHead
08-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Good work man. Congradulations on all of the above. Im sure you feel 100% better in many ways as well.

pruneman
08-06-2003, 01:24 PM
wow...congrats!

Mic Soloist
08-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Shooter223
No, I didn't suddenly start losing the last 10 pounds. And I am not noticeable stronger or larger muscles. That is still a slow and painful process I guess. Maybe at 48 it just takes longer.

But, I got good news from the doc. Last year in July, I was a 220 pound 2 pack a day (Winston) junk food eating (hmm Burger King) lazy slob. I went for a physical and at the end, the doc wanted me to go on drugs to control cholesterol. I thought my numbers were borderline and did not warrant taking drugs, and that a lifestyle change was the better solution.,

Since then, I am off smokes for over a year now, have lost 20 pounds to 200, workout every day in some manner (even if only walking hard for 45 minutes) and eat a healthy diet. the results:

Total cholesterol - last year 211............this year 147
Triglycerides - last year 198...............this year 72
LDL..................last year 135................this year 85
HDL (good)..........last year 43......now 47

Across the board sweep. Maybe a healthy lifestyle is better than just taking drugs for every symptom we get. Not that I rule out modern medicine. Just not taking drugs if I can fix the underlying problem with behavioral changes.

Cheers.

thats great man....

My mom is in her mid 40's and smokes over a pack a day. She eats unhealthy and never exercises except at work. I try everything I can to get her to stop living like that but I guess you have to want it yourself.

good luck

-peace-

SoulOfKoRea
08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
that's a great story :thumbup:, do you plan on getting to a certain weight?

Mik
08-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Nice work man. Keep it up!

Relentless
08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
nice work, Shooter

the satisfaction that comes from taking control of your body and your life is really something, ain't it?

:D

Shooter223
08-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks all. I am pretty high about this. I do have goals. Probably not the same as most on this BBS. I have no delusions that I will ever compete in a BB contest. Which is cool.

Goals are simple:

Be healthier
Feel better
Look good at the beach if I ever happen to go there.

Pretty basic stuff. I think I am close to reaching numbers 1 and 2. I still need to drop some weight and it is getting more stubborn. I hate hard excercise, but I think a HIIT program is the only way I am going to drop the next 10 or so pounds that need to go. But I am in it for the long haul. Short term change is meaningless.

For the record, my thoughts were "here I am closing on 50. I have led a life of Riley with no serious illness and an ability to play sports and do what I want despite abusing my body. If I want to be able to continue doing what I want, I need to change NOW."

Things I like doing require mobiliy. Like, traveling in Asia. Competing in submachinegun contests. Playing golf. Visiting strange places like Ankor Wat (the first Laura Croft Tomb Raider is set there). You can't do these things if you become too much of a lardass.

Dedicated
08-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Nice job quitting smoking, I know how it is, I quit like 6 months ago, was rough.

Ironman8
08-06-2003, 10:58 PM
That's great man!

-TIM-
08-06-2003, 11:31 PM
One of the nicest things about eating right and exercising is the way it makes you feel inside. Not just the way you look outside. That's got to be one of the biggest drives for me personally. Way to go on lowering everything. That's gotta make you feel great, in more ways than one. What's your doc say?

Shooter223
08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
The doc was pleased. He took no offense that I choose this path. He freely admitted he didn't think I would stick to it and that was why he wanted to go the drugs route. But always better if the patient will do something.

Yeah, I feel good inside. Right now I am fighting a muscle pull in my lower back for over a week, but it doesn't stop me playing golf or lifitng so it can't be too bad.

Scott S
08-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Awesome work, Shooter! :thumbup: I think that just sticking to a fitness program is the hardest part.... once I'm in the gym, it's fun!

I completely understnad your doctor, too. EVERYBODY says, oh, I'll start exercising, or oh, I'll try to eat better. Very rarely will someone actually do it.

harryhoudini66
08-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Awesome job dude! You rock!