PDA

View Full Version : increase punch

rippedfool
08-07-2003, 12:18 AM
I just wanted to know what workouts to do to increase my punch . im thinkin abot gettin into boxing and my punch isnt that powerful. Any tips would be good. thank you

JD77
08-07-2003, 01:39 AM
Any upper body compound movements would probably be good, i.e. bench press, military press, etc. Working on a heavy bag is probably a good idea too.

rippedfool
08-07-2003, 01:52 AM
yea thats what i was thinkin too, probably chest , shoulders , alot of forearms, back and triceps. I was maybe thinkin grabbing a fifteen pound dumbell and throwing light punches, nice and slow. I have a heavy bag and a speed bad they should help a little.

JustinASU
08-07-2003, 05:20 AM
dont forget without heavy leg training you wont be able to withstand a good punch. They are there to stablize you.

rippedfool
08-07-2003, 06:01 AM
lol yea thats true too, i guess i ahev to work out the whole body for my punch to go up. but know another question should i work out for strenght or size i would figure strenght. or maybe even a little strenght a little cut so i can be faster and stronger.

ElPietro
08-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Get into boxing and learn how to punch first.

Dedicated
08-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I agree, I boxed for a few weeks years ago but I couldn't hack it cause I smoked. Anyways they teach you how to throw a punch. You will be able to punch alot harder than any of your non-boxing friends, even most of the bigger ones. If you really feel you need to get ready for boxing, do some forearm/wrist strengthening stuff. The main problem with boxing is hand/wrist pain, so strengthen those muscles to prevent injury. For punches, one of the main muscles involved is the lats also. Goodluck, just remember it's ok to get your beat up in the gym, everyone does, boxing is a sport:)

Goin_Big
08-07-2003, 07:24 AM
A punch is thrown from the back and legs.....not the chest and shoulders.

Bruteman
08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by rippedfool
but know another question should i work out for strenght or size i would figure strenght. or maybe even a little strenght a little cut so i can be faster and stronger.

If your main goal is to be a good boxer lift for strength. Try a powerlifting type program like Westside. The speed days they incorperate translate well for boxing.

There is another powerlifting program I want to recomend, but all I can remember about it is something about the "cable bar" guy. Can someone help me out here?

pusher
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
A punch is thrown from the back and legs.....not the chest and shoulders.

Absolutely correct. As well, your hips play big role a power punch. Training your arms is important, besides strength, it helps keep your hands up, and make em lighter as the fight goes on.

Rudee
08-07-2003, 04:47 PM
A heavybag will do you more good than any specific strength training exercise.

Manveet
08-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro

yup. All the training related advice is some good supplementary work but you're not gonna be a good puncher without a lot of practice.

rippedfool
08-07-2003, 05:35 PM
thanks guys

nejar462
08-08-2003, 12:35 AM
remember technique first, speed second, power third. Although they should all come in together really, but technique is ALWAYS important.

silles
08-09-2003, 12:01 PM
A study by Verkoshansky revealed that the majority of a knock-out punch's power comes from the hip. I'll dig it up, Pavel cites it in one of his books.

edit-did I actually type "sites"?

rippedfool
08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
yup, i just found that out i went to a gym that was pretty much set up for boxing and most of the people there said it was mostly in the legs and the hips and back,

benchmonster
08-11-2003, 08:32 AM
You want to punch hard? Better have a strong core. Punching is a rotational thing with the body, and a linear thing with the arm.

Hard hitters are those that can rotate their hips hard and fast and efficiently translate that power generated in the body's core through their arm, into their fist and through the opponent's jaw.

B.

rippedfool
08-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks fo the tips guys. I bought a book and it has pretty good information on it. Actually itr has all the things you guys told me but in detail. I guess you guys know what your talkin about.