PDA

View Full Version : pasta

kickboxer111222
08-07-2003, 05:21 AM
is pasta slow or fast absorbing in terms of protein?

bradley
08-07-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by kickboxer111222
is pasta slow or fast absorbing in terms of protein?

Pasta would not really be an effecient way to provide the body with protein, because you would have to eat a large amount of pasta to get the an appreciable amount of protein.

The pasta will be a fairly slow digesting food so you could consider the protein contained in the pasta as a slow digesting protein. It would also depend on the type of pasta (whole wheat, enriched, etc.) and you would also have to take into account any other foods eaten along with the pasta.

hemants
08-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Pasta is mostly complex carbohydrate and only about 10% protein give or take.

For the most part as Bradly says it is slow digesting but home made whole wheat will be slower than canned Alphaghetti.

Unless you are bulking i'd stick to eating a serving the size of your fist as opposed to a plate.

dirty-c
08-07-2003, 01:48 PM
THe proteins in pasta (as well as beans, veggies, etc) are incomplete proteins. They are missing some vital amino acids or something like that. For this reason, I don't think the protein in pasta can be used for tissue repair like those in meat/dairy/eggs, etc. Don't quote me on this though, I just wanted to get the idea out there. I'm sure someone will konw the answer.

bradley
08-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
THe proteins in pasta (as well as beans, veggies, etc) are incomplete proteins. They are missing some vital amino acids or something like that. For this reason, I don't think the protein in pasta can be used for tissue repair like those in meat/dairy/eggs, etc. Don't quote me on this though, I just wanted to get the idea out there. I'm sure someone will konw the answer.

There really is no such thing as incomplete and complete proteins as most all proteins do contain all of the essential AAs, but some proteins are limited by their content of certain AAs. This is where the term limiting AA comes from. If you are consuming a variety of proteins this should not be an issue, and thereforr if you want an accurate measure of your protein intake you should count all the protein that you consume, including proteins from vegetables, grains, meats, etc.

hemants
08-07-2003, 03:12 PM
What Bradly said.

Also the essential AA requirements for a 180lb adult amount to 6g of protein per day. Combine that with the fact that you aren't eating one food all day long and I'd say it's a non-issue.

Part of the reason the 1g per pound of lean body mass is recommended is because it is assumed that the body will not get the exact amino acids in the precise proportion that it needs at all moments of the day.

If you could feed yourself the precise AA coctail intravenously for 24 hours I'm sure you could get by on MUCH less than 1g per pound of LBM.