PDA

View Full Version : True Or Fasle Doesnt Seem Right (hiit)

eatdirt40
08-07-2003, 09:33 PM
this is an artice i read and doesnt make since... ide think that the longer intervals would be more benificial than short onces... u will no what i mean once u read it.. give me your feedback if u know ne thing about HIIT

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=interval+group:misc.fitness.weights&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=6cbf4ab2.0211190854.579443a5%
40posting.google.com&rnum=6

Found this link on Supertraining-- it points to an MFW discussion regarding interval training specifically for fat loss.

I've been saying for awhile now that shorter, harder intervals are better for fat-burning than using 20 or 30 second bursts, and this seems to lend to that argument, but with a bit of a twist.

The study notes that, given equal treadmill speed and work duration, fat oxidation was 3 times lower in the group that used 24 second work intervals and 36 second rest intervals, compared to a group using 6s/9s ratios.

"The decline in muscle oxygenation during work was correlated
with mean lactate concentration (r = 0.68; n = 12). Lower
levels of fat oxidation occurred concurrent with accelerated
carbohydrate metabolism, increases in lactate and pyruvate and reduced
muscle O(2) availability. These changes were associated with
proportionately longer work and recovery periods, despite identical
treadmill speed and total work duration. The proposal that a metabolic
regulatory factor within the muscle fibre retards fat oxidation under
these conditions is supported by the current findings."

The discussion goes on to mention myoglobin, the oxygen-binding protein in muscle. Myoglobin provides short bursts of oxygen in anaerobic conditions. That seems to be the key here; lactate blocks fat oxidation, leaving myoglobin to fuel the oxidative process. Once it gets used up, fat utilization is shut off in favor of glycogen metabolism.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what protocol was used in the study mentioned; I also don't know what "optimal" work:rest ratio exists. However, it is compelling information to keep intervals short and hard, using ample rest periods.

there saying 15 second sprinting intervals is better than 30 or more... is this true... feedback please

Budiak
08-08-2003, 11:53 AM
This isnt a journal!

No, this isnt right, this isnt right at all!

*jumps through window

unshift
08-08-2003, 03:33 PM
go to the "best of bodybuilding/fitness threads" sticky at the top and read the HIIT thread, this has been covered in great detail already :)

eatdirt40
08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
ok thx i didnt think that decreading the sprinting time would improve the overall HIIT, some poeple just write things to get attention, some **** out theres really ****ed up

unshift
08-09-2003, 07:17 PM
it actually does. read the sticky

eatdirt40
08-10-2003, 10:10 PM
WHAT STICKY?? just tell me what the sticky says whats the deal man wit this?

unshift
08-11-2003, 07:02 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=23970

its in the thread labled "Sticky: Best of Bodybuilding/Fitness Threads" at the top of the forum

eatdirt40
08-11-2003, 09:03 PM
thx man