PDA

View Full Version : Postworkout shake or meal

baldguy
08-08-2003, 02:43 PM
I have a preworkout whey shake w/water (30 g. of protein). After working out, I shower and get dressed at the gym. Then, I go home to eat breakfast and make lunch.

Breakfast usually consists of 5 egg white, 1 whole egg, with leftover meat scraps and veggies scrambled in along with the "heart smart" portion of oatmeal or 2 slices of whole wheat toast w/jam (no sugar added). Breakfast usually occurs within about 1 hour of workout.

Would I be better off drinking another whey shake with a banana or something immediately after my workout? If so, should I still do breakfast? BTW, I'm trying to drop poundage.

AllUp
08-08-2003, 02:53 PM
ROFL Wow, that portrair ROX!!! :D

hehe, Usually If you wanna drop poundage you can should eat about 50 mins after workout. [If you go home and instantly eat, supposedly the blood flyin thru ur muscles soon after your workout rushes to your stomach to help stim your stomach and digest the food. In short it slows your metabolic rate, or something similar.] also about the shake I hear best results are pre and post workout and 40min-1hour before a meal.
Based on what I read anyway :)

-AllUp

bradley
08-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by baldguy
I have a preworkout whey shake w/water (30 g. of protein). After working out, I shower and get dressed at the gym. Then, I go home to eat breakfast and make lunch.

I am assuming you workout first thing in the morning, which means that you have not eaten in ~8 hours or so. I would make sure and take in some carbs along with the whey protein pre-workout so as you have some nutrients "floating" around in your system before your workout. Throw in ~25-35g of carbs (maltodextrin/dextrose) in with your whey shake and drink it ~30 minutes before training. You probably really only need ~10g of whey pre-workout.

Breakfast usually consists of 5 egg white, 1 whole egg, with leftover meat scraps and veggies scrambled in along with the "heart smart" portion of oatmeal or 2 slices of whole wheat toast w/jam (no sugar added). Breakfast usually occurs within about 1 hour of workout.

Would I be better off drinking another whey shake with a banana or something immediately after my workout? If so, should I still do breakfast? BTW, I'm trying to drop poundage.

I personally would probably take in another shake consisting of ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein immediately post workout and then consume a whole food meal ~90 minutes later. The banana and whey shake would be better than nothing, and yes you would still need to eat breakfast. Overall calorie balance at the end of the day will be the main determing factor as to whether you lose/gain weight. Consuming adequate calories around your training has benefits such as aiding in recovery, preventing muscle catabolism, etc.:)

bradley
08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by AllUp

Usually If you wanna drop poundage you can should eat about 50 mins after workout. [If you go home and instantly eat, supposedly the blood flyin thru ur muscles soon after your workout rushes to your stomach to help stim your stomach and digest the food. In short it slows your metabolic rate, or something similar.] also about the shake I hear best results are pre and post workout and 40min-1hour before a meal.
Based on what I read anyway :)

The anabolic benefits of a post workout shake would outweigh any fat burning benefits that you would get post workout. Overall calorie balance at the end of the day will be the main determing factor as to whether you lose/gain weight.

baldguy
08-11-2003, 09:27 AM
After showering and driving home, I usually eat about one hour after completing the workout. So, my options are either:
1. drink shake at the gym right after workout
2. drink shake at the gym right after workout, go home and eat breakfast one hour later.
3. Drink no shake, eat only breakfast one hour after workout (this is what i've been doing, but I keep hearing good things about protein absorption in the "window" of 30-120 mins. after workout).

The maltrose/dextrose combination. Is it possible to get that from some food as opposed to supplements? I would like to keep supplements at a minimum, if possible. I currently only take protein shakes, but in the past have done creatine & glutamine. I'm contemplating getting back on those, but have not done so yet.

bradley
08-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by baldguy
After showering and driving home, I usually eat about one hour after completing the workout. So, my options are either:
1. drink shake at the gym right after workout
2. drink shake at the gym right after workout, go home and eat breakfast one hour later.
3. Drink no shake, eat only breakfast one hour after workout (this is what i've been doing, but I keep hearing good things about protein absorption in the "window" of 30-120 mins. after workout).

I would have a shake with some carbs and protein immediately after training and then have breakfast an hour later.

The maltrose/dextrose combination. Is it possible to get that from some food as opposed to supplements? I would like to keep supplements at a minimum, if possible. I currently only take protein shakes, but in the past have done creatine & glutamine. I'm contemplating getting back on those, but have not done so yet.

I would not really consider dextrose or maltodextrin supplements, seeing as how they are just a form of high GI carbohydrates.

It is not really necessary to take in dextrose/malto post workout, but you do want to make sure you take in some type of carb post workout (as well as pre-workout in your case). You could some high GI carbs from sources such as Smarties candy (primarily made of dextrose), white bread, white rice, bagels, etc. The type of carb is not really as important as the quantity of carb consumed, but using something like dextrose or maltodextrin will be digested/absorbed faster than whole food carb sources.

There is not really a whole food that is composed of just dextrose or maltodextrin, although a ripe banana would probably work pretty well, and then have your breakfast an hour later.

baldguy
08-11-2003, 10:48 AM
That's the info I'm looking for. One of my concerns was if I was eating too many calories too quickly. But, I guess I will try this for a few weeks and see if it works out for me.

Thanks.

LAM
08-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I am assuming you workout first thing in the morning, which means that you have not eaten in ~8 hours or so. I would make sure and take in some carbs along with the whey protein pre-workout so as you have some nutrients "floating" around in your system before your workout. Throw in ~25-35g of carbs (maltodextrin/dextrose) in with your whey shake and drink it ~30 minutes before training. You probably really only need ~10g of whey pre-workout.

I personally would probably take in another shake consisting of ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein immediately post workout and then consume a whole food meal ~90 minutes later. The banana and whey shake would be better than nothing, and yes you would still need to eat breakfast. Overall calorie balance at the end of the day will be the main determing factor as to whether you lose/gain weight. Consuming adequate calories around your training has benefits such as aiding in recovery, preventing muscle catabolism, etc.:)

great advice....