PDA

View Full Version : Signs you are in ketosis

furious
08-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Just as the topic reads, what are some signs to look for to indicate that the body has entered ketosis?

SoulOfKoRea
08-09-2003, 09:45 AM
you can buy ketostix to test if ketones are present

keto-breath is also an indicator, a metallic taste in your mouth...

out of energy and feeling sluggish

raniali
08-09-2003, 11:38 AM
for me - keto pee is more prevalent than keto breath or keto stick turning colors.
the longer you do keto dieting, you just know without any external indications.

harryhoudini66
08-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Can't wait to I get there. I just started today. I got some stix too.

holly1221
08-12-2003, 02:18 PM
My sticks say that I am in moderate ketosis, yet I am not loosing weight. What might be the problem and what can I eat to speed up the weight loss? I'm afraid I'm gaining weight on this diet. Please help!!

raniali
08-12-2003, 04:08 PM
first - how long have you been on a keto diet?
second - what is ur wt/ht and/or bf%?
third - how many cals are u eating a day?

Scott S
08-12-2003, 06:02 PM
If you are eating a LOT of fat, you may be in ketosis, but there's no guarantee your body is burning any of its OWN for energy. raniali's got the right questions.

EdgarMex
08-12-2003, 06:10 PM
To lose fat, even on a keto diet, you still have to be in a caloric defict.

holly1221
08-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi Rinali... thanks for your response. My undesireable statistics are as follows: 6'0, 168 lb... body fat %22. After reading through threads, i think i figured that my unsuccessful weight loss is due to an overload in calories. Thus i have changed my diet (it has been 3 days now) to consist of around 1600 calories. I am drinking shakes and eating chicken and nuts. Any better suggestions for shedding this unsighlty extra fat (besides exercise I am running and lifting). I'm really confused as to how much protein and fat to consume. It seems my new plan has little fat??? Note I am supplementing with one tbls. flax seed oil.

bradley
08-15-2003, 10:39 AM
If you are sticking with the keto diet, I would recommend taking in 130-160g of protein and making up the rest of your daily cals with fat.

If you are having trouble taking in enough fat you can add olive oil to some of your meals, as well as increasing your flax oil intake. Also you can take in some fibrous veggies to help get some fiber in your diet, as well as helping with appetite control. I am assuming you are supplementing with a multi-vitamin as well.

Are you taking in any carbs at any point throughout the week? You need some carbs to help refill muscle glycogen and carb ups can also have metabolic benefits as well.

raniali
08-15-2003, 11:19 AM
it sounds like you are 'skinny fat' and also a lifting newbie - you probably would see more positive results not dieting but eating properly and lifting hard. even if you wanted to diet, 1600 seems a bit low IMO and, as bradley stated, you need periodic carb-ups on a keto diet or you won't be seeing any progress in the gym.

Frankster
08-19-2003, 08:43 PM
what is Keto pee?

bradley
08-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Frankster
what is Keto pee?

This a term used to describe the smell that is associated with the urine when excess ketones are excreted from the body via urine. Only a small amount of ketones are excreted through the urine ~10-20g.

Ketosis can be divided into two categories, ketonemia and ketonuria. Ketonemia is the buildup of ketones in the bloodstream ane ketonuria is the buildup/excretion of ketones in the kidneys.

Inidviduals performing a ketogenic diet will use Ketostix to measure the degree of ketonuria which will indicate ketosis, since you cannot be in ketonuria without being in ketonemia first.