PDA

View Full Version : Week of bench meet - how to train?

supirman
08-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm entering a bench meet at my gym just for fun (and some money and a free membership). The meet is this coming up Saturday at noon. I was just wondering, for those with experience, how should I do my training this week and how should I do my warmup sets the day of the meet.

Here's a bit more info on my training:
Typically I do my split like this.
mon-back
tues-chest
wed-legs
thurs-shoulders
fri-arms

I added another chest day yesterday in which I did some heavy band work with reps in the 2-5 range.

I'm weighing in at 193 lbs right now and my first attempt will be my surefire weight of 390. I'll probably attempt 405 afterwards. If I get that, then who knows.

I haven't lifted heavy since I began my 30lb cut in March.

And this is a raw meet.

Delphi
08-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't go overboard on training this week- it's too close to the contest to be able to gain any strength. I would do light reps (50-60% of 1RM) once or twice this week, NOT to failure, to keep whatever lift you currently have. Your lift can only go down this week, not up, IMO.

supirman
08-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Do you think I should still train my other body parts hard, or take it easy on them as well?

Meat_Head
08-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by supirman
Do you think I should still train my other body parts hard, or take it easy on them as well?

Lay off training any other parts till after the meet.

If you have over 7 days to train, do a practice meet. Hit the lifts you plan on hitting, so you'll know for sure. 8+ days should be plenty of time to recover from the singles.

BigCorey75
08-10-2003, 03:02 PM
i would get a day or two of dynamic lifting in on bench

supirman
08-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BigCorey75
i would get a day or two of dynamic lifting in on bench

Ok, what exactly would that consist of?

Scooby-Doo
08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
I would do a light bench day about 5 days out. Only work upto your opener. Try to rest up as much as you can before the meet. It ussually take several weeks to peak yourself, which you obviously don't have. Good Luck.

BigCorey75
08-10-2003, 11:06 PM
dynamic work is eplosive lifitng. its prased alot by lifters of westside and im a personal testimony that it works well.

take 50% of your max and do 9 sets of 3 reps with it, 3 sets close grip, 3 sets medium and 3 sets wide

really concentrate on exploding off your chest and driving through the weigth and moving the bar as fast as possible and developing great bar speed.

bar speed will be the key to you making those big lifts..

supirman
08-11-2003, 05:10 AM
So if I do this dynamic work on Tuesday, I should be recovered fully by Saturday right? I'm guessing that this 50% for 9 sets of 3 won't be very taxing on my body.

BigCorey75
08-11-2003, 07:17 PM
yep