PDA

View Full Version : At what BF% do you cut?

Scott S
08-11-2003, 12:26 AM
I'm interested in getting some opinions... I'm trying to decide whether I should cut soon (when I get to 20%) or later on when I reach 25%.

Cheers!

spl_373
08-11-2003, 01:21 AM
wow, we gotta choose from 10% intervals? thats quite a leap....hehe....

I cut at about 14-16% basically when abs become really faint. And no I dont care about abs...but I just use that as a guide line.

anything over 20% and you pretty much lose all definition and muscle seperation...and in my opinoin, someone with these attributes isnt really a bodybuilder. I consider myself a rather aggressive bulker (by a calorie standpoint, eating a minimum of 4000 cals, sometimes towards the end of a bulk getting towards 5000 cals) but still dont find it necessary to go above about 16%.

Scott S
08-11-2003, 01:26 AM
Hmm.. maybe I'll add more. Good call.

Scott S
08-11-2003, 01:32 AM
****. I can't -- only moderators can change a poll. :scratch:

Well folks, don't worry about it too much. Just post whatever your perspective is. I'll be interested to hear all the responses!

spl_373
08-11-2003, 01:36 AM

bradley
08-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Scott S
I'm interested in getting some opinions... I'm trying to decide whether I should cut soon (when I get to 20%) or later on when I reach 25%.

It really comes down to personal goals, but I tend to think going up to 20% would be taking it too far. The thread below pretty much explains my line of thinking.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34540&highlight=bulk

gino
08-11-2003, 07:40 AM
As soon as I look in the mirror and think I'd like to lose some fat is when I start cutting.

BennettBoy
08-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by gino
As soon as I look in the mirror and think I'd like to lose some fat is when I start cutting.

:withstupi

And my mirror is telling me it's about that time again. :p

hemants
08-11-2003, 09:45 AM
15%, maybe a bit more this time bcs I want to add some mass.

Ace
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Usually whenever the season changes. In the winter, I am not that concerned about BF, but as soon as summer rolls around, I cut like crazy.

Scott S
08-11-2003, 12:52 PM
bradley: I went in for a caliper test a few days ago, and found that my BF% has gone up to 18% in the 4-5 months since I started my first bulk. :( I'm still trying to add some decent muscle before I cut, though. I've gone over this dilemma in more detail in my journal...

bradley
08-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
bradley: I went in for a caliper test a few days ago, and found that my BF% has gone up to 18% in the 4-5 months since I started my first bulk. :( I'm still trying to add some decent muscle before I cut, though. I've gone over this dilemma in more detail in my journal...

I checked out your post in your journal, and really the best advice I can give you is to do what you feel the most comfortable with. If the extra bf is not bothering you then continue trying to add LBM at a slow rate, which should help in minimizing fat gain. Although here are a couple of things you might take into consideration

--the longer you bulk the higher your bf% if going to get, which will mean dieting for a longer period of time

--the longer you have to diet the more LBM you risk losing, seeing as how some degree of muscle loss will occur when dieting

--the higher your bf% the more probable it is that you will add more bf (what I mean here is that if you were bulking from say 12% you would have a better ratio of LBM to fat gain as opposed to if you were bulking from 18%)

--dieting for long periods of time is not fun:)

SoulOfKoRea
08-11-2003, 03:15 PM
when I reach 160!(lbs.!)

Berserker
08-11-2003, 05:31 PM
I won't let myslef get to 20%, that just seems fat. I don't want to get fat for the sake of getting buff. 13-15%

Strats
08-11-2003, 11:36 PM
I'm going to cut when I hit 20-22% bf, which should be in october when I finally hit 185-190 lbs. Either that or when my size 33-34 pants don't fit anymore.

Scott S
08-12-2003, 01:28 AM
Hey Strats! Good to see you again. You planning on updating your journal anytime soon? ;)

The more I think about it, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and cut when I hit 160 (at approx 20%.) I had hoped to bulk for a full year to put on a lot of muscle, but I really underestimated how much fat I'd gain. On average, I've been gaining a pound a week, which should be fine, but maybe I have too much estrogen/too low test or something, and that's why so much is going on as fat. Maybe when I get down to 8-10% next time, my subsequent bulk will be more productive.

bradley
08-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Why not decrease the amount of weight you are gaining each week, which might help you put on a little more LBM before cutting? This might improve the ratio of LBM to fat that you gain.

Scott S
08-12-2003, 09:52 AM
I could try, but it's tough. I'm eating with my family until September, and unlike most families, that means a LOT of home-cooked meals! :D

I'm not even sure of the exact rate I'm gaining weight. I weighed 151.5 on my scale this morning, and while I know that's from having low glycogen/water, it's confusing. I ate food and drank water last night, so I have no idea why I'd wake up two pounds depleted.