PDA

View Full Version : Too many egg whites?

chrisconnell85
08-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Hey guys...

I was buying proten shakes all the time at the gym and they were getting costly on my wallet. So I wanted a good,cheap, low fat way to get protein and I figured egg whites would be a good idea. For the past few feeks i have had around 5 egg whites (scambbled) after my workout. I was just wondeing if I"m overdoing it. Also at what point is "too many" egg whites.

thanks

And oh ya are egg WHITES a good source of protein? Thanks for all your help.

MrWebb78
08-12-2003, 01:48 AM
can never have too many egg whites....until you farts are unbearable.

to cut costs, buy a protein powder to mix at the gym after yer workout

Sinep
08-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Eggwhites make you stinky. And if you do the math, per gram of protein, they are not that cheap.

EVER-LAST
08-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Is it true if you eat too many eggs it is possible to develope an allergy?

Beast
08-12-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't know about becoming allergic, but eggs are the best source of protein. 5 egg whites is not that much, considering each white has about 3g of protein.

Wikked1
08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Why buy your shakes at the gym? Why not buy them online (many many places here soon I think even??!) and make them yourself? IMO you need more than just egg whites post workout....I don't think you are over doing it at all....you might be under doing it by not getting some carbs in there as well.....dextrose offers quick uptake and seems to be a favorite here with the post workout shakes......so it's my opinion no you aren't over doing it at all you need some carbs to go with your protein. Check your grocery store......many now offer 100% egg whites in a carton.....beats seperating the yolks out of all those eggs!

LAM
08-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by chrisconnell85
Hey guys...

I was buying proten shakes all the time at the gym and they were getting costly on my wallet.

there is your problem right there.

buy online or in a store and save yourself a bundle

bradley
08-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sinep
Eggwhites make you stinky. And if you do the math, per gram of protein, they are not that cheap.

I can purchase a dozen eggs for ~70 cents, which is quite cheap IMO.:)

bradley
08-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by EVER-LAST

Not that I know of, and I have been eating large amounts of egg whites/eggs for years. Haven't had any problems yet.

chrisconnell85
08-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Each egg white only has 3 grams of preotein? Are you sure? I heard that eggs have the best source of (natural) protein on the planet! Is it mostly in the yolk?
Hey buying a few dozen eggs don't bother me and in my opinion egg whites taste a hell of a lot better than that protein powder mix. It has little fat too.
Any nutritonal info on egg hwites would be very helpful (i'd like to know how much protein they have)

Dedicated
08-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by EVER-LAST
Most allergies are inherited. You could eat the allergic food for years before having a reaction to it. Also excessive exposure to any food can increase your sensitivity towards it. As for eggs, yea they are one of the most common allergy causing foods. Same goes for fish, nuts, corn, wheat etc. But I wouldn't worry about becoming allergic to anything, it's usually inherited. Like Scandinavians as a whole are generally more allergic to fish than non-Scandinavians. Same goes with the Japanese and rice, more Japanese people are allergic to rice than say Australians because the Japanese have traditionally eaten alot more rice than Australians have, and thus increased there sensitivity to it over time to a point where some became allergic. They reproduce, pass on their genes etc etc. Anyways worst case scenario, become allergic and eat something else hehe.:)

bradley
08-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by chrisconnell85
Each egg white only has 3 grams of preotein? Are you sure? I heard that eggs have the best source of (natural) protein on the planet! Is it mostly in the yolk?
Hey buying a few dozen eggs don't bother me and in my opinion egg whites taste a hell of a lot better than that protein powder mix. It has little fat too.
Any nutritonal info on egg hwites would be very helpful (i'd like to know how much protein they have)

In general large egg contains 6g of protein, and the white contains ~3g and the yolk contains ~3g.

Here is a good article that was written by The Chicken Daddy that should give you some good info on eggs.:)http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=55