PDA

View Full Version : Natural sugars/bradley? or anyone else?

greekboy80
08-13-2003, 09:18 AM
is it that all fruit sugars are mainly fructose or is it all natural sugars. It dos'nt make sence that all natural sugars are...hence cane sugar? anyways on my carb up i usually eat some kind of bran cereal and low fat waffles w/100% natural maple syurp. what kind of sugar is in that? fructose or some other kind of sugar. im trying to stay away from fructose. it does not say on the bottle. thanks!

hemants
08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
"natural sugar" can be fructose or sucrose if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't "stay away" from any particular natural sugar, just limit intake.

Maple syrup is probably better than honey post workout though.

bradley
08-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
is it that all fruit sugars are mainly fructose or is it all natural sugars. It dos'nt make sence that all natural sugars are...hence cane sugar? anyways on my carb up i usually eat some kind of bran cereal and low fat waffles w/100% natural maple syurp. what kind of sugar is in that? fructose or some other kind of sugar. im trying to stay away from fructose. it does not say on the bottle. thanks!

This should give you an idea of the sugar content in maple syrup, but it is mainly sucrose (fructose/glucose) according to the site below.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/b856_77.html

Most all natural sugars contain fructose in some form, and I can not think of one example where this would not hold true.

I would really not be concerned about the amount of fructose you are getting from trace sources when performing your carb up. Assuming you are fully depleted you would have to consume quite a bit of fructose to cause any spillover into fat stores, and fructose is also beneficial while carbing up because of the fact that it puts the liver back into a fed state (anabolic state).

Basically as long as you are not overdoing it with sucrose consumption, and not taking in high fructose corn syrup; I see no reason why fructose would be a concern when carbing up.

greekboy80
08-13-2003, 11:38 AM
thanks guys, brad woudl it be bad to drink powered gatorade all day saturday and some of sunday. i try to consume 3 quarts while carbing up. is that to much or should i limit sugary carbs to only on saturday?

bradley
08-13-2003, 01:47 PM
thanks guys, brad woudl it be bad to drink powered gatorade all day saturday and some of sunday. i try to consume 3 quarts while carbing up. is that to much or should i limit sugary carbs to only on saturday?

I think it would be okay, but there are better choices other than Gatorade. You would also need to take into account that the primary carb source in powdered Gatorade is sucrose. If you were looking for some liquid carbs, then I would recommend mixing up some Kool-Aid or something similar using dextrose, instead of the powdered Gatorade.

How many grams of carbs are you consuming on Saturday, and how much do you weigh? I would only consume high GI carbs on Saturday and stick with low GI carbs on Sunday. If you are looking for maximum fat loss, you could limit the carb up to one day assuming that you are able to consume enough carbs to refill muscle glycogen.

greekboy80
08-13-2003, 04:23 PM
i weigh anywhere between 215-220, depends on the day. why is that? some days ill weigh 215, and some 219, or 220?and thats during the week!! is there a reason for that brad? during the carb up ill weight around 220.

i thought lyle recomends 24 to 48 hour carbup? mines 36 hours(sat morning till sunday night).

ill try to limit my carbups to one day but its hard. on the weekends i work for 8 hours straight (9-5). not much you could eat on a keto diet bringing you food with you to work. but anyways thanks for the advice. ill try it when school starts up, might be a little easier.

bradley
08-13-2003, 04:50 PM
i weigh anywhere between 215-220, depends on the day. why is that? some days ill weigh 215, and some 219, or 220?and thats during the week!! is there a reason for that brad? during the carb up ill weight around 220.

Those are normal weight fluctations, which is why it is recommended to weigh once per week, in the morning preferably. This could be attributed to things such as water intake, food intake, etc.

i thought lyle recomends 24 to 48 hour carbup? mines 36 hours(sat morning till sunday night).

I think it is more a question of how many carbs you take in and not the duration of the carb load. I know I have seen where he recommended a one day carb load to achieve a greater amount of fat loss each week, seeing as how a carb up day puts you over maintenance. This leads to another dieting day lost, so to speak.

ill try to limit my carbups to one day but its hard. on the weekends i work for 8 hours straight (9-5). not much you could eat on a keto diet bringing you food with you to work. but anyways thanks for the advice. ill try it when school starts up, might be a little easier.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. I find it surprising that you would put your carb load on a work day, seeing as how they usually leave people feeling lethargic and bloated. You could always move it to another day, but I also understand that you probably want to be a little less restrictive on the weekends.

Anyway back to the the point I am getting at. The first six hours after your depletion workout will be the time that you should try to really "cram" in the carbohydrates. I believe Lyle recommends ~1.5g of carbs/kg of LBM immediately following your depletion workout and the same amount two hours later.

greekboy80
08-13-2003, 05:48 PM
how nessassary is the depletion workout? i sometimes get around to it and sometimes i cant?

thanks

harryhoudini66
08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Hey Bradley, what do you think about this. I started my keto diet on Saturday and plan to carbo load only one day which is this Friday. I am not following the workout routine designated by Lyle and continue to do a three day split WBB1 routine (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Should I change my exercise plan? I am also contemplating my carbo load for Saturday instead.

bradley
08-14-2003, 02:37 AM
how nessassary is the depletion workout? i sometimes get around to it and sometimes i cant?

The depletion workout accomplishes two main things, which are making sure that your glygogen stores are completely depleted and also increases insulin sensitivity. Making sure you are completely depleted is not really that big of a deal because this will occur without the depletion workout, depending on the amount of training done throughout the week. The increase in insulin sensitivity would be quite helpful, mainly due to the increase in enzyme activity and increased nutrient partitioning. I would try to incorporate some form of depletion workout before beginning the carb up, if possible. While it is not necessary, I think the benefits will help in the overall success of the carb load (i.e. less fat gain). You should be able to complete a depletion workout in 30 minutes or less, and it does not really take much volume to get the beneficial effects of the depletion workout.

bradley
08-14-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Hey Bradley, what do you think about this. I started my keto diet on Saturday and plan to carbo load only one day which is this Friday. I am not following the workout routine designated by Lyle and continue to do a three day split WBB1 routine (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Should I change my exercise plan? I am also contemplating my carbo load for Saturday instead.

There is really no need to change your workout routine, especially if you are not seeing any decline in workout performance. Sticking with the traditional 3 day split would be fine, and just begin the carb up after one of your training sessions. If you are planning to have your carb up on Saturday you could move your Friday workout to Saturday, and you might think about adjusting the routine to a Tues/Thurs/Sat split.

Since you will be performing the carb up on shoulder/arm day, you might throw in some light leg work as well. At the least a few sets of leg extensions/leg curls, performed "circuit style" with little rest between sets.

greekboy80
08-14-2003, 05:23 PM
brad, what would a good depletion workout for me at home? my gym does not open untill 1:00 on saturday and im already at work. how about some jogging, situps, push ups, and pullups? any other ideas?

greekboy80
08-15-2003, 11:36 AM
bump, brad any suggestions?

bradley
08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
brad, what would a good depletion workout for me at home? my gym does not open untill 1:00 on saturday and im already at work. how about some jogging, situps, push ups, and pullups? any other ideas?

I would recommed maybe incoporating some HIIT cardio, such as sprinting, along with some high rep chins/push-ups. This should serve as an adequate replacement for more conventional depletion workout.

I would recommend taking in a small amount of carbs before beginning the workout in order to begin the shift out of ketosis. Maybe something along the lines of a banana.:)

greekboy80
08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
brad thanks for the advice. hey, whats your AOL IM name? i think that woudl be useful for some quick questions, if its cool with you!

bradley
08-15-2003, 05:25 PM
brad thanks for the advice. hey, whats your AOL IM name? i think that woudl be useful for some quick questions, if its cool with you!

I actually don't have one set up, but I will see about getting one set up.:)

greekboy80
08-15-2003, 05:33 PM
its real easy and free! its cool to talk to people real time, good for quick questions. its good also if you have friends at school that you like to talk to frequently. anyways...look into it , it takes about 5 minutes. go to aol.com, and down load the program. its pretty basic. its called AOL instant messanger. good luck(if you want to get it)!