PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Form!

VampyreGTX
08-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Okay, so while I was doing my leg day today, I couldn't help but notice how many people have just horrible forms when it comes to whatever exercise they do! I'd say at least 75% of the weightlifters there are either skimping on the movements or cheating an extreme amount! Is this about average for what the rest of you see?

AdamGberg
08-13-2003, 05:59 PM
ya...people try to use more weight and sarcifice form...

i used to be guilty of it too...but now i don't care what other people think of the weight i am pushing...

VampyreGTX
08-13-2003, 06:03 PM
That's what I noticed. There was this guy that was large, but I'd say about 20+% BF and was doing donkey calf raises. Full stack of the weights set on the machine and then he threw on 2 45lbs plates! He then proceeded to do the raises with about 25% movement of the calves. I never really paid attention to others form in the past few years of working out, decided to do so today and couldn't believe how much eficiency these people are losing!

DK
08-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Some of the guys on my football team just have to have the 100 pound plates on the squat rack no matter what. Even if it means they will only be doing fourth squats.

If they'd replace those with some 45's I'm sure they could get the depth, but they won't.

Ritzol
08-13-2003, 07:11 PM
I was doing leg press today and noticed a girl... really tall, and quite thin doing squats with 45's on each side. So, I was pretty impressed...I started watching her, and she wasn't even coming down 1/4 of the way...had she been going below parallel I don't know how much she could've done, but definitely not 45's.

VampyreGTX
08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ritzol
I was doing leg press today and noticed a girl... really tall, and quite thin doing squats with 45's on each side. So, I was pretty impressed...I started watching her, and she wasn't even coming down 1/4 of the way...had she been going below parallel I don't know how much she could've done, but definitely not 45's.

Sounds like my wife! Though she had the correct form. She was never large, just a little elevated T compared to most women and took to weightlifting really well! I think her squat a few years ago (hasn't worked out in about 3 years, doesn't want to...) was 3 sets of 10 reps at about 150 not counting the bar.

ericg
08-14-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by dkliewer
Some of the guys on my football team just have to have the 100 pound plates on the squat rack no matter what. Even if it means they will only be doing fourth squats.

If they'd replace those with some 45's I'm sure they could get the depth, but they won't.

I wonder who helped them get the 100lb plates on the bar? maybe the plates are already on the bar and they are scared to take them off and replace them with 45s? hmmm

JD77
08-15-2003, 06:20 PM
I always wonder how my form would look to others.

-TIM-
08-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by AdamGberg
ya...people try to use more weight and sarcifice form...

i used to be guilty of it too...but now i don't care what other people think of the weight i am pushing...

That's the key, not caring. Throwing up a lot of weight is fun. But it's pointless if the form isn't there. It's a mistake I'm sure the majority of us make when we first start out.

big
08-16-2003, 06:07 AM
haha I just got back from the gym hurt my back doing lying leg curls. :cool:

VampyreGTX
08-16-2003, 09:42 AM
I also don't care what others think of me when I lift weights. I look much bigger than the weigth I usually use at the gym compared to others. I had one guy spotting me that was smaller than me, yet lifting more and he was surprised I was doing less weight than him. I told him flat out, if your form is off, lifting heavier weights is just a waste. Use, lighter weights, get the form right, and you'll most likely gain more than what your doing currently.

DK
08-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ericg

I wonder who helped them get the 100lb plates on the bar? maybe the plates are already on the bar and they are scared to take them off and replace them with 45s? hmmm

Nah. The 100's are laying on the ground by the squat rack. Two of them lift the plate (totle of four guys). Then they do there thing. They just think they are too good for the 45's.