PDA

View Full Version : Power and size routine

Meat_Head
08-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Monday
Bottom position squat - 5 progressively heavy singles
1/4th squat - 5 progressively heavier singles
Standing barbell curls(preferrably with a thick bar) - 4 progressively heavier singles
Grip work, one exercise, 3 progressively heavier sets

Wednesday
Bottom position bench press - 4 progressively heavier singles
Bench press lockouts - 4 progressively heavier singles
Machine pullovers - Work up to 2 heavy sets
Bent legged situps, one set of 15-25 reps

Friday
Clean - 4 progressively heavier warmup sets, then 2x3 with a heavy weight
Farmers walk - 1-2 heavy sets

Monday(2nd week)
Parallel squat - 5 progressively heavier sets of 5 reps
Grip work 2 exercises, 3 progressively heavier sets each
Bent legged situps, 1x15-25

Wednesday
Standing barbell press - 4 progressively heavier sets of 5 reps
Deadlifts from the knees - 5 progressively heavier singles
Deadlift lockouts - 5 progressively heavier singles
Grip work, 1 exercise, 3 progressively heavier sets

Friday
Bench press - 5 progressively heavier sets of 5 reps
Machine pullovers - Work up to 2 heavy sets
Bent legged situps, 1x15-25
Grip work, 1 exercise, 3 progressively heavier sets

Then repeat

What do you think?

PowerManDL
08-14-2003, 02:46 PM
I like.

chris mason
08-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Sorry I haven't returned your PM, I have been really busy. I will try to get something soon.

unshift
08-14-2003, 06:17 PM
what happened to your "one set full body workout"?

RG570
08-14-2003, 06:21 PM
I would lessen the volume of grip work, and substitute DB rows for the machine pullovers. I don't think you'll gain a ton of size on this routine, or stick with it for long though.

Meat_Head
08-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by unshift
what happened to your "one set full body workout"?

I didn't say I'm using this routine, I just wanted your opinion.

Meat_Head
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Sorry I haven't returned your PM, I have been really busy. I will try to get something soon.

No problem, take your time.

delldell
08-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Looks pretty good. LOL at the barbell curl singles though, what's the point of that? Why not just do 2-3 grip exercises on friday, 2 sets of each.

Meat_Head
08-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by delldell
Looks pretty good. LOL at the barbell curl singles though, what's the point of that? Why not just do 2-3 grip exercises on friday, 2 sets of each.

Ever tried a heavy single of thick bar barbell curls? Its no picnic, you see stars when you're done.

Most people who train their grip find it more effective to train with more frequency, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week. 2-3 would be considered the minimum.

Big o Boy
08-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Wow, that's a lot of Gripwork... Sounds like a superstrength split. You should be able to crush an apple in your hand with that gripwork... lol

Meat_Head
08-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Big o Boy
Wow, that's a lot of Gripwork... Sounds like a superstrength split. You should be able to crush an apple in your hand with that gripwork... lol

That's the idea, but unfortunately it takes a LONG time to get a really strong grip.

chris mason
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
When I was your age I had just started to train as well. It was the summer before my senior year in high school and I wanted to get bigger and stronger for football. I was very close in stats to you, same height and just a bit lighter (172ish).

The bio was to give you a reference point. The following routine took me to roughly 220 lbs completely natural over the next 1.5-2 years and I trained for several months foolishly before I started it. Thus, the program really took me from 180 to 220 in about a year.

Mon & Thurs:

Chest, triceps, and legs

Chest:

Bench Press
2 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 3-5/6-8

Weighted Dips
2 sets to failure x 10

Skulls
2 warmups
2 sets to failure a 4-5/6-8

Squats
2-3 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 4-6/8-10

Leg Extensions
1 warmup
1 set to failure x 10

Leg Curl
1 warmup
1 set to failure x 10

Tues & Fri:

Back, shoulders, and biceps

Chins (palms forward, wide grip)
body x 2 sets x as many as possible

T-Bars
2 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 3-4/6-8

Pulley Pulldowns to the Front (v-bar grip)
1 set to failure x 10

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
2 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 3-4/6-8

Standing Barbell Curls
2 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 6-8/7-9

Hammer Curls
1 warmup set
1 set down the rack for 3 weight choices (ex. 80s, 60s, 35s) x failure. The first part of the down the rack set is with a very heavy weight for 3-4 reps. Then you drop enough to get 3-4 reps with the next weight (no rest). Finally, one more drop to a very light weight which will feel very heavy if you have gone balls out.

Standing Calf Raises
2 warmup sets
2 sets to failure x 15-20

That's it. Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Oh, and not to state the obvious, but always try to get more weight or reps, or both on the heavy sets. You also need to make sure to consume plenty of good calories (very limited refined sugar etc.). You can supplement with protein shakes to give you extra quality calories and make sure to just eat a ton of good food (meats, eggs, cheese, whole grain breads, peanut butter, fruits and vegetables etc.).

PowerManDL
08-21-2003, 07:33 PM
I've tried this before, and I like it. Its a solid routine.

Meat_Head
08-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks a ton chris.

There isn't a t-bar row machine at my gym... what would be the optimal replacement for it?

No doubt, next time I take up seriously trying a 'strict' routine that'll be first on my list. Right now I've reached a point where I can't do any more written down routines. It just gets boring to me, and I get stagnent and unmotivated and end up switching routines too much. Right now I'm basically doing a huge array of exercises and events to gain overall total body fitness, while gaining a bit of weight to. Basically I have a very 'bodybuilder' type workout for each muscle group(back, legs, arms, shoulders, chest), and on the days that I work those or off days, I do sprints, distance running/biking, agility training, various sports, strongman work, light olympic lifting, swimming, pushups, etc....

chris mason
08-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Any sort of a row which supports the lower back would be a good substitute.

One word of caution, make sure your outside physical activity doesn't interfere with your gaining of mass.

Meat_Head
08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Any sort of a row which supports the lower back would be a good substitute.

One word of caution, make sure your outside physical activity doesn't interfere with your gaining of mass.

Ok, I'll probably do dumbell support rows or something like that...

I'm still gaining weight and eating alot better, along with feeling more energetic all throughout my body, so I'm not worried about the other exercise interfering with my mass gain.

restless
08-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

Ok, I'll probably do dumbell support rows or something like that...

You can also do barbell rows supporting your back in a bench with a 30-45 incline. I do this when the weights get too heavy and the workload gets too much for my lower back. I think it's preferable to dumbell rows.