PDA

View Full Version : Diet critique....

Andy P
08-15-2003, 09:30 AM
I only weight 140 lbs so obviously i wont eat as much as you but is this enough to gain weight... This is what im eating today...

Breakfast....

1 glass of pure orange
1 banana
Scrambled egg... 1 yolk, 3 whites (protein12 g ish)
toast (30 g carb)
butter (low sat fat)

Lunch...

can of tuna (36 g pro)
glass milk
bread (30 g carb)
butter (low sat fat)

Afternoon...

Spaghetti bolognaise (50 g carb) (10 pro)

Dinner....

Pizza

Carb 120, pro 45, fat 20. sat fat 8.

Evening...

Milk
tuna (36 g pro)

More calories needed ?being as im only 140 lbs.

I probably drink about 2-3 pints of semi skimmed milk ! not sure how many grams protein/carb/fat or calories ? anyone ?

snow
08-15-2003, 11:55 PM
i'd say you need to eat a lot more, so you can up your calories. what your eating is typically good food, but some is low in calories (i.e. tuna). i weighed 150 in april, and i've had to average about 3,700 calories to get to 170, and i'm not even where i want to be. good luck!

bradley
08-16-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Andy P
More calories needed ?being as im only 140 lbs.

Just increase your daily cals in small increments each week until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (~.5-1lb.)

Also looks as though you need to add some fat to your diet, more specifically essential fatty acids. You can accomplish this by incorporating oily fish (example salmon) into your diet or by supplementing with fish oil or flaxseed oil.

Other good sources of fat include olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc. I would recommend ~25% of your daily cals come from fat.

Also make sure that you are taking in ~1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, and you can spread this amount out throughout your daily meals.

Do you take in any type of meal/shake around you workout? The addition of some carbs and protein post workout would also be beneficial.

I probably drink about 2-3 pints of semi skimmed milk ! not sure how many grams protein/carb/fat or calories ? anyone ? [/B]

Each pint of 2% milk contains ~244 calories, 16g of protein, 23g of carbs, and 10g of fat.:)

Andy P
08-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I'm finding it hard realising i have to eat so much. I'm costing my mum a fortune. I'm gonna start eating more. As for fats how benificial are they for me? As im eating more and bulking i am trying not to eat loads of fats because i dont want to cut much after.

bradley
08-17-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm gonna start eating more. As for fats how benificial are they for me? As im eating more and bulking i am trying not to eat loads of fats because i dont want to cut much after.

Fats are an essential macronutrient (essential fatty acids) and are important for various reasons. Excess calories make you gain bf, not dietary fat.

Ebu
08-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Like bradley says, you need the fat, for more than just getting big. I am currently at 210, and was at 205 a couple weeks ago. For the diet, throw some peanut butter in there. But remember, fats are good for you. I made the mistake a while ago by trying to avoid fats, and i got down in weight to 195. Also, I think how you are splitting up your meals is pretty good, because the body can only digest so much at a time. good luck.

Andy P
08-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks. Just curious though, What good does fat do ? does it slow down the absorbtion of other stuff. like protein and carbs ? whats else ?

bradley
08-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks. Just curious though, What good does fat do ? does it slow down the absorbtion of other stuff. like protein and carbs ? whats else ?

Well it like you said fat does slow the digestion of the other macronutrients, but that was really not what I was referring to. You could write a book just on your first question, so trying to answer that in one post would not be an easy task.:)

The link below should help explain some of the benefits of including dietary fat in your diet. If you have more specific questions please post them. I know this is not really the answer that you are looking for, but maybe it will help somewhat.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S

Andy P
08-17-2003, 12:55 PM
thx