PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

lil-pickles
08-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi guys, a few things about me for the ppl that bother to read this. I am 33 years old, out of shape, and looking for a change. Reading wbb forums really got me to thinking.... the ppl that post seem so happy, in-control of their life, and sucessful. I am a recovering alchoholic (have not drank in about 2 years) who is leading an unproductive life and I am thinking getting control of my body might lead to other changes as well. I suffer from depression (genetic), and possible other mental heath issues and multiple injuries.. need reconstructive surgery on my ankle (ligaments need to be re-attached from when i broke it) and undiagnosed back and neck injuries.
Not all is bad with me tho and I am not looking for sympathy. I really want to get into shape and have decided to post a pic of me every week from now until i hit my goal of 180 pounds. I know there wont be much of a difference week to week but knowing i have to post the pic will keep me motivated for the week. My current stats are 5'10 220 pounds. I am lifting weights and making dietary lifestyle changes to reach my goal, I just started yesterday. Anyways, this picture might be scary to children ages 10 and younger lol so look at your own risk. Cardio is hard for me cause of my injuries but i am looking for good cardio i can do. Anyways .... a pic wil be posted once a week

Shane
08-15-2003, 11:58 AM
:spam: What's up pickles. Good luck with the journal. Do you have any idea what kind of workout routine you are going to use? You can take a look at other people's journals or one of the WBB routines you can find here http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

For cardio I think some good ideas would be swimming if you have access to the pool. If not you could try some low impact forms of cardio like walking or the eliptical trainer.

WillKuenzel
08-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Its awesome that you are taking control of your life! You'll definitely see the benefits spread out to more than just your body but to all other aspects of your life.

Take it a step at a time and you'll reach your goals and more! Good luck and ask any questions. We'll all do our best to help you.

midee1
08-15-2003, 06:31 PM
:withstupi

Welcome to the boards and good luck.

I myself am 34yo with various back problems and have been lifting for about 1 year and I love it. I have not been to the gym in about 2 weeks and boy can I tell a difference in my mobility and flexibility.

lil-pickles
08-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Wow my gf is being way more supportive than i thought.... she went to the store today and bought me low fat cottage cheese, diet sodas, eggs, and other good stuff. Tonight is my second night in a row without midnight snack and it feels good.

lil-pickles
08-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Omg soreness. Really not too much i can do today due to not being able to move without pain hehe. Dad is having a party and i am determined to stay the course and not overeat..... posting a pic next week is already getting me sweating.

SoulOfKoRea
08-16-2003, 11:49 AM
:spam:, for cardio, due to your injuries and such I would suggest starting slow with something like an elliptical machine or stationary bike

lil-pickles
08-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Good idea for the cardio ... i can move my foot but impacts catch up with me. Yesterday better than average with diet considering I was at party all day but no where near what i wanted. Today...back on track with food and weights. Back and bi's.

pruneman
08-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey pickles! Just wanted to welcome you to the boards and wish you the best of luck on your new fitness goals. Exercise is a great way to take control of your life. For me at least, it keeps me motivated, focused, and energized.
...can't wait to see some workouts posted. Good luck bro!

-Prune

lil-pickles
08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
ok legs are feeling a little better today. Hopefully can work them out tommorow. Today is shoulders, tricepts, and chest. I have a set of 30 pound dumbells and a bench that i use but will be getting heavier dumbells or a 310 lb wieght set soon... the 30 lb bells already seem light for bicept work and back work. Reading the wbb routine is enlightening... too bad my back and neck are so messed up i got to take it ez for now on them. ..... eating much "cleaner" .... cottage cheese, eggs, turkey, that kind of stuff... dont know how much i am reducing calories but i feel like i have more energy. Thank you to all the ppl that have responded you make me feel good and really want to be in this for the long haul and not disapoint myself, amy, my kid, and the encouraging wbb ppl.

Alex.V
08-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by lil-pickles
Wow my gf is being way more supportive than i thought.... she went to the store today and bought me low fat cottage cheese, diet sodas, eggs, and other good stuff.

Excellent... helps a lot when the people around you do their best to help.

Definitely get that 310 pound weight set.

lil-pickles
08-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Skipped working out yesterday, alr4eady did legs today... wonder how sore they will get.

lil-pickles
08-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Legs are not sore i must not have worked em hard enough. Today is chest and tri's, my favorite muscles to work

WillKuenzel
08-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Post your workouts. There might be somethings you'll notice later that you could improve upon. Use the journal for your notes as much as anything.

Scott S
08-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Welcome, pickles! I get a little endorphin rush every time I post in my journal, something about seeing that little number go up...

But I digress. These journals are great for tracking progress. Stick with it and you'll look scary -- in a better way! ;)

JeffWillConquer
08-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Yeah, what he said...cept I won't be mean and call you scary :). You look vicious, and i'm too young and too pretty to die. :hide:
Good luck with the journal bruh.

lil-pickles
08-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Haha jeff I swear i am nice guy. It is funny that sometimes people take me the wrong way but I am gentile as a lamb ... i even love kids. The hair is cut short cause amy likes it short and complains i have a shag carpet for hair when it grows. Homeyield you are right i should post my routines. The reason I wasn't was that bacause i am starting out i am not that strong and am kind of embarassed about what i am lifting compared to you experienced lifters. Anyways my chest is very sore :) today. Also I got some workout cardio tapes from library yesterday and am starting those today.

lil-pickles
08-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Hmm i was gonna post a pic of me at 1 week of training but i cant figgure out how to attach... the attach button seems to be gone.

JeffWillConquer
08-23-2003, 10:21 AM
I think you have to actually click the post reply button to do an attachment, instead of just scrolling to the bottom. And don't be embarassed about your stats, i'm only benching 66 lbs 10 times for 2 sets. But I started at 45, and when i'm benching 180, I can look at how much I improved. And that's cool with the workout tapes, as long as it isn't Richard Simmonds.

midee1
08-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Homeyield you are right i should post my routines. The reason I wasn't was that bacause i am starting out i am not that strong and am kind of embarassed about what i am lifting compared to you experienced lifters.

Hey man don't ever be afraid to post. We are here to help if we can. I myself have only been at it for about a year. We all have to start somewhere.:D

lil-pickles
08-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Hmm i really dig this tae bo video. Did it twice yesterday and twice today... time to get my diet under more control tho.

lil-pickles
08-26-2003, 08:49 PM
cardio is steady.... and actually not bad. Did pull ups yesterday and got sore arme.

lil-pickles
08-29-2003, 01:01 AM
more pull ups tommorow. tae bo tape stopped working so got new tape denise austin heheh

midee1
08-29-2003, 06:33 AM
more pull ups tommorow. tae bo tape stopped working so got new tape denise austin heheh

Hey man I kinda admire your dedication. BTW how is it going with the weight training and aerobics. Any good gains yet?

Maccer101
08-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Don't worry about posting weight and stuff, we all started out lifting light and we're not all monsters (I know I'm not). Also don't try to progress too fast with the weights you are lifting for the first month or two, as this is the time were you need to learn how to perform the exercises correctly, do the movements slowly & controlled that way you will be able to feel the muscles you are targeting more and learn to do the exercises well. I hope you do keep posting pics cos that is an excellent idea mate.

lil-pickles
08-31-2003, 09:09 AM
3 days of rain here. Fighting my sweet tooth is a problem. More denise austin today... is it just me or does the heath chanel suck?

midee1
08-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Day Two of rain here.:mad:

As far as the sweet tooth when it strikes I usually busy myself in some housework or go walking. That does it for me.:D

lil-pickles
09-03-2003, 12:49 AM
I am sick of eggs. Anyways back to library asap for tae-bo .... anyways amy seems to really be suporting me .... i am hoping to inspire her (she looked good in a bikini until i knocked her up a few years ago)

midee1
09-03-2003, 02:43 AM
(she looked good in a bikini until i knocked her up a few years ago)

I feel your pain.

Course we did it more than once. (3 kids) oops:angel:

lil-pickles
09-10-2003, 08:52 PM
I have not been doing great this week ... but have restarted today.. lots of diet sodaaa

Scott S
09-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Hey, you get an unlimited number of times to start again -- just as long as you do. :thumbup:

carolinagirl
09-10-2003, 10:02 PM
What Scott said. :)

And.......Denise Austin is incredibly annoying. I'd probably do FAR worse than cheat on my diet if I had to spend any quality time with her. ;)