PDA

View Full Version : how many calories do I need?

mailman21108
08-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Looking for daily caloric intake. Im 39yrs old, 5'11" 170lbs and lean. Working out hard 3 days a week with weights and some light cardio 2 times a week. Im looking to gain some lean muscle mass and I got the workout routine down good but need to know how many calories. Im taking 160 grams of whey protein daily + amino acid capsules and multi vitamins. So, how many calories daily should I ingest to enhance gains and what are some good foods to get them from? Thanks in advance for advice.

:)

bradley
08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I have posted this in various threads, and hopefully it will help you get started.

Welcome to WBB;)

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) ~25% of daily calories should come from fat (remember to include some essential fatty acids)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except pre/postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, poultry, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly increase cals in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 2000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to increase cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2300 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have gained (if any). Repeat this process until you are gaining about .5-1 lb per week. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

This thread may also be of some help.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list