PDA

View Full Version : calorie shock



nero
08-15-2003, 08:35 PM
I was wondering what would happen if i were to shock my body with something like 9000 cals only for one day,assuming that my maintainence diet is 2000 cals.Will i pack on large amount of fat on that day?
Also what if i were to try this about 2 times a week?
I got this question after listening to some chap on TV saying that body cannot produce more than a certain amount of fat regardless of how much U eat.

DelveyBoy
08-15-2003, 11:52 PM
i have no idea what would happen. And how could you manage to get 9000cals, i find it hard consuming 5000. Try it and see what happens

mmac
08-16-2003, 12:08 AM
You are going to be sick, and most likely in the bathroom all day long. Your body can only process so much food.

defcon
08-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Okay, lets say if we normally eat 2400 cals, and then one day eat 4000 cals, still all clean food, just upped your portion sizes, what would you guys suggest happen then? * looks at bradely *

bradley
08-16-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by nero
I was wondering what would happen if i were to shock my body with something like 9000 cals only for one day,assuming that my maintainence diet is 2000 cals.Will i pack on large amount of fat on that day?

How much fat you would accumalate would depend on the meal composition. If you were to overeat on carbs and protein then the amount of fat gained would be less than if you were to overeat on protein, carbs, and fat. Either way if your maintenance is 2000 cals you will definitely see fat gain, along with water retention, bloating, etc.



Also what if i were to try this about 2 times a week?


You would just add on more fat.



I got this question after listening to some chap on TV saying that body cannot produce more than a certain amount of fat regardless of how much U eat.

The body will not convert carbs and protein to fat very effeciently, but it will have no trouble adding the dietary fat that you eat into your fat cells.

Although once you get to a certain point de novo lipogenesis will begin to cause a significant amount of fat gain from the conversion of carbs to fat.

The study below shows that during overfeeding on carbs, the conversion of carbs to fat did not amount to any significant fat gain.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4&dopt=Abstract
"De novo lipogenesis increases after overfeeding with glucose and sucrose to the same extent in lean and obese women but does not contribute greatly to total fat balance."

Although if you were to continue this for a couple of days you would begin to see more conversion of carbs to fat as was the case in the study below.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0&dopt=Abstract

bradley
08-16-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by defcon
Okay, lets say if we normally eat 2400 cals, and then one day eat 4000 cals, still all clean food, just upped your portion sizes, what would you guys suggest happen then? * looks at bradely *

What are you maintenance cals?

If you are eating above maintenance then you would not get any metabolic benefits, but if you were below maintenance you might see some benefits such as increased leptin levels, etc.

bradley
08-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by mmac
You are going to be sick, and most likely in the bathroom all day long. Your body can only process so much food.

Assuming that you could hold all the food down, your body would digest/absorb the majority of the food. It just might take a while.:)

defcon
08-16-2003, 06:48 AM
wow, bradely is a smart guy :) always knows everything! Im envious of you. well thanx for the info, and btw.. my maintanice cals is appox 2200, im eating 2400-2500 and right now, trying to do a nice slow clean bulk and only gain appox 0.5 lbs a week, seems good so far, well anyway.. thanx for the info man!

beastin v6
08-17-2003, 07:42 PM
I was reading *awhile ago* of similar ideas mentioned by nero. You would simply bulk to weeks and cut two weeks (1800-2000 kcals). I asked on the forums and was quickly dismissed. I have the bookmark somewhere.

bradley
08-18-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by beastin v6
I was reading *awhile ago* of similar ideas mentioned by nero. You would simply bulk to weeks and cut two weeks (1800-2000 kcals). I asked on the forums and was quickly dismissed. I have the bookmark somewhere.

It would not really be possible for a natural trainer to add a significant amount of LBM in two weeks, because the average individual would not be able to put on more than 1lb. of LBM per week, and that is a generous estimate.

Another thing that comes to mind is calories. The best way to adjust calories is in small increments over the course of days/weeks, and if you were performing short bulking and cutting cycles this would not be possible. You would more than likely end up slowing you metabolism down during the transition from bulking to cutting and add bf when going from cutting to bulking.

The ABCDE diet tried the short bulking and cutting cycles and it never really offered any real world results. You would be much better off just trying to slowly add LBM by eating slightly over maintenance.

beastin v6
08-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by bradley


The ABCDE diet tried the short bulking and cutting cycles and it never really offered any real world results. You would be much better off just trying to slowly add LBM by eating slightly over maintenance.
Agree.

There you go, it was the ABCDE diet :D . It sounded good on paper, but like i mentioned, I never even bothered to try it.

defcon
08-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Well, bringing this topic back to the front.......

With my experimental mind frame i decided to try this.. well i usuaully eat 2400 cals a day ( slow bulking and im an endomorph ), however, the day before yesterday i dun this calorie shock thing, ate nearly 5500 cals 25% protein 50% carbs 25% fat was about the split of my cals.. and let me tell you, i envy all your ectos for being able to eat this much food if you need to, i was litterly eating till i was sick, almost threw up a few times during the day but i held it down :) i was too lazy and full to move, and my gut hurt all day, it was the most miserable day ive had in my recent life. Now im happy to be an endo due to the fact that i can eat a normal amount of food to bulk. Wow it was a hard day :P