PDA

View Full Version : Beer Questions...

Mic Soloist
08-15-2003, 09:57 PM
So if I was on a 2000 calorie diet and I ate 1600 calories per day followed by a couple beers per night what would be the effects?

Its my understanding that the only realy harm in beer drinking is exessive carbs and calories.... So if you only had one or two per night and didn't go over your allowed calories for the day would there be any problems??

I always want a beer b4 bed but I never let myself have one except a couple times per week and I usually drink 5 or more on those nights. So far it hasn't effected my gains but I was wondering if it would hurt to have 1-2 on other days of the week.

I just enjoy the taste.... I don't usually drink to get drunk unless its a party or something.

thanks

-mic-

snow
08-15-2003, 11:50 PM
beer in moderation is healthy! cheers!

Mic Soloist
08-16-2003, 12:34 AM
*waits for someone to destroy my hopes*

steveo
08-16-2003, 01:55 AM
If you drink 2 beers there is no problem there. I sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner or two beers.

jugheadkills
08-18-2003, 02:08 PM
i like the taste of pie better than tuna

mikey4402
08-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
So if I was on a 2000 calorie diet and I ate 1600 calories per day followed by a couple beers per night what would be the effects?

Its my understanding that the only realy harm in beer drinking is exessive carbs and calories.... So if you only had one or two per night and didn't go over your allowed calories for the day would there be any problems??

the problem with beer is its not just alot of calories and carbs but there empty, which means its like liquid calories and carbs, no nutrional value. so instead you could eat some chicken or such and get some extra protien and such....

but don sweat it,its not going to kill you. enjoy life, cheers:alcoholic

DelveyBoy
08-18-2003, 04:38 PM
another beer threadtuttut :withstupi

Mic Soloist
08-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jugheadkills
i like the taste of pie better than tuna

yea me too...

But I am so INCREDIBLY strict about the rest of my diet, drinking is the only way I let myself cheat.

-mic-

Berserker
08-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Thats what I do. I drink but I try to make up for it in the rest of my diet.

ectx
08-18-2003, 11:33 PM
there are several low cal low carb beers out there now. Some of them actually taste okay. Michelob Ultra is one example. From what I've read alcohol can slow down fat metabolism. Ultimately I think the effect is negligible. I guess it depends on your goals.

Mic Soloist
08-19-2003, 01:22 AM
I drink Mich Ultra usually when I drink at home. But I recently turned 21 and when I go to the bar or a resteraunt I like to try different beers because I really enjoy being a beer taster and critic. I love beer...

I probably only get wasted 1 out of every 10 times I drink. I usally have 4-6 and call it a night. Some nights I only have 1-2. Just depends. My gains are good, but I do notice weight loss after drinking. I just try to stay focused and work extra hard on my diet and in the gym.

I think it should be possible to be a BB and a beer drinker. I might write a book about it one day if I can master the balance between the two.

:thumbup:

-mic-

Berserker
08-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Miller lite has always been low carb. This new Mic Ultra is just playing on people who don't know there beer. Not to mention theres not much carbs in lite beers anyways.

Trent_Steel
08-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Well I dont know about you guys but when I havent had a drink for a few weeks my work outs are amazing, but I never stop at 1 or 2 so its no wonder.
Anyway doesnt beer take nutrients out of your system or something. When Im drinking I like to take a vitamin suppliment just incase.

Ebu
08-20-2003, 09:12 AM
I have to agree. When I havent been drinking for a while, my gains in the gym are much more noticeable than when i drink. Also, I notice weightloss after drinking a lot, and i am trying to gain weight, and the 6 pounds i just lost in two weeks is a little bit of a setback.

Berserker
08-20-2003, 10:56 AM
On my first bulk I was drinking 4-5 days a week. Had my best gains in strength ever. But I don't know if they could have been better.
I wouldn't recommended drinking to anyone. But I don't think its as evil as some people make out.

Mic Soloist
08-21-2003, 05:37 PM
*steps into AA meeting*

I have drank 3 times this week... I went out to the bars last night with my bros and had about 10 brews. I went to the gym today and felt good but I've lost 2.5 pounds and I feel a lil smaller.

I'm kinda pissed but the way I look at it is that I'm not gonna stop lifting and dieting so I know my gains will come with time. I had a good time this week and I haven't missed any workouts so I can't beat myself up to bad. Plus I start classes Tuesday so there will be no more drinking for me.... or at least not much.

I think drinking certainly can effect your progress but it won't stop you from looking good and making gains, and I think that is what most of us want. Unless your getting paid to BB then I think you should have fun and party now and then too.

-mic-

Moose
08-22-2003, 12:14 AM
The reason you weigh less after a night of drinking is because the booze cases a loss of water in your body........so (obviously) your not losing fat because of a night of drinking........just water..............I could be wrong....but I recall reading something along those lines.......

I've always found that drinking 2-3 glasses of water and a multivitamin before bed, after a night of drinking, is the best hangover cure...........as a hangover is a result of water loss as much as anything...........again, I could be totally wrong......but for some reason I believe I read this in a fairly "credible" publication.....

I started a new thread on beer........the thing I want to know is what to do when you get home after drinking.......do you avoid food? Do you eat right away? I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can give me advice to minimize the damage (on a cutting diet)..........

Mic Soloist
08-22-2003, 09:28 AM
I always have a bunch of water and food/vitamin b4 bed when I've been drinking. I don't get as many hangovers now ethier.

-mic-

dsade
08-22-2003, 09:13 PM
I am not sure of the carb/calorie profile, but Sam Adams Light is by far the best light beer I have ever tasted.

I prefer it over some of the other brands REGULAR brews.

bradley
08-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

Role of substrate utilization and thermogenesis on body-weight control with particular reference to alcohol.

Schutz Y.

Institute of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 7, CH-1005 Lausanne, Switzerland. Yves.Schultz@iphysiol.unil.ch

Alcohol (ethanol; EtOH) provides fuel energy to the body (29.7 kJ (7. 1 kcal)/g, 23.4 kJ (5.6 kcal)/ml), as do other macronutrients, but no associated essential nutrients. The thermogenic effect of EtOH (on average 15 % of its metabolizable value) is much greater than that of the main substrates utilized by the body, i.e. fat and carbohydrates (CHO), suggesting a lower net efficiency of energy utilization for EtOH than for fat and CHO. EtOH cannot be stored in the body and is toxic, so that there is an obligatory continuous oxidation of EtOH and it becomes the priority fuel to be metabolized. In contrast to CHO, its rate of oxidation does not depend on the dose ingested. As with CHO intake, it engenders a shift in postprandial substrate utilization (decrease in fat oxidation), but by a non-insulin-mediated mechanism. A limited amount of EtOH can be converted to fatty acids by hepatic de novo lipogenesis (as occurs with high levels of CHO feeding) from acetate production, which inhibits lipolysis in peripheral tissues. There is no evidence that EtOH consumed under normoenergetic conditions (i.e. isoenergetically replacing CHO or fat) leads to greater body fat storage than fat or CHO. However, there is still a lack of experimental studies on the influence of EtOH on the level of spontaneous physical activity in man. This effect may well depend on the dose of EtOH consumed as well as other intrinsic factors.