PDA

View Full Version : protocols for designing a strength-based routine

Qea
08-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Amidst all the discussion we've had so far talking about how to make muscles grow and stuff, I'm actually interested in any educated answer on this question:

What training protocols should be observed while designing a routine specifically based on increasing absolute strength? i.e. frequency, volume, intensity, 1RM % range, etc etc?

It's my understanding that strength comes primarily from neural adaptation and muscle fibre recruitment, rather than from having larger muscles in itself, true?

so any program designed should be focused on these aspects, no?

comments, observations, anyone? :)

PowerManDL
08-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Qea
What training protocols should be observed while designing a routine specifically based on increasing absolute strength? i.e. frequency, volume, intensity, 1RM % range, etc etc?

That's a broad question, and even with the goal of "improving strength" you still have to take differing variables into account.

In general however, frequency should be high, volume should be low to moderate, intensity should be 85% or higher, reps should be kept to 5 or less, and maximal acceleration should be used.

It's my understanding that strength comes primarily from neural adaptation and muscle fibre recruitment, rather than from having larger muscles in itself, true?

Maximal voluntary strength does, yes. Absolute strength, which is the maximum force-generating potential of a muscle, is determined by the CSA of all the fibers.