PDA

View Full Version : Best foods for low carb and best foods during carb up

Tru
08-16-2003, 06:05 PM
What are some good tasting foods to eat on a low carb diet?

Eggs, meat, cheeses, and oil is all I'm eating right now.

What's best to eat during the carb up? Complex carbs.

So like oatmeal, pasta.. What are some other GOOD, quickly made complex carbs?

SoulOfKoRea
08-16-2003, 09:04 PM
low carbing: Chicken breasts, tuna, fish, vegetables, you'll need a lot more healthy fats...

carb ups: oatmeal, pastas, breads, dairy products, brown rice, oat/grain cereals.

Tru
08-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Dairy products, except for milk, would be best for the low carb wouldn't they? Low carbs but semi-high protein and a decent amount of fat.

Because for the carb up, you don't want much protein so you can eat as many carbs as you can down.

BTW you think milk is good for the carb up? I've read a ton of bad **** about milk. Personally I use to drink 1gallon+ daily and basically nothing else for food intake but junk food before I started bodybuilding and put on size without bodyfat.

rgkfit
08-17-2003, 08:35 AM
For the carb up I would do sweet potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, maybe some peanut butter for some fats.

bradley
08-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Tru
Dairy products, except for milk, would be best for the low carb wouldn't they? Low carbs but semi-high protein and a decent amount of fat.

You could take in some skim milk during your carb up, but I would keep an eye on the amount of protein that you are taking in.

Because for the carb up, you don't want much protein so you can eat as many carbs as you can down.

Are you thinking in terms of the NHE style carb ups or the standard approach to refeeding?

BTW you think milk is good for the carb up? I've read a ton of bad **** about milk. Personally I use to drink 1gallon+ daily and basically nothing else for food intake but junk food before I started bodybuilding and put on size without bodyfat.

As long as you are not lactose intolerant, then I see no problems with consuming milk.

bradley
08-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by rgkfit
For the carb up I would do sweet potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, maybe some peanut butter for some fats.

Peanut butter would not be an ideal source of fat when refeeding, and the only supplemental fat that should be included in a refeed would be n-3 fatty acids.

Ebu
08-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Hey, myself and a guy I know swear by drinking tons of skim milk. The carbs aren't too high in it, and the protein is pretty good and not too much at a time.

gopher
08-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Ebu
Hey, myself and a guy I know swear by drinking tons of skim milk. The carbs aren't too high in it, and the protein is pretty good and not too much at a time.
1.5 gr of carbs for every 1 gr of protein. NOT what you want to be ingesting for a low carb meal.

Jane
08-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Children's cereals are favorite among the low carb/carbup crowd. They're cheap, quick, tasty, and if you pick the right brands, they've very little fat.

Keeping fat intake minimal during carb ups is vital.

CoASH
08-20-2003, 06:50 AM
so what fat sources?
olive oil, nuts, fish oils? is that all that's needed?

bradley
08-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CoASH
so what fat sources?
olive oil, nuts, fish oils? is that all that's needed?

During a refeed/carb up fat intake should be kept to a minimum (~15% of daily cals), and the only supplemental fat you would need would be added fish oils. The rest of your fat would come from the foods that you are eating.

As far as fat sources in general, the ones you mentioned above are good sources of fat. Try and get a good ratio of omega-6's to omega 3's and then fill in the rest of your cals with monounsaturated fat, such as olive oil. Of course you will get some dietary fat from the foods that you are eating.

harryhoudini66
08-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Maybe we should keep adding more stuff here and make it a sticky. I know that I have read many threads with the same questions but they are all scattered.

On carb up day I eat.

Pancakes
Cereal
Milk
Pasta
Potato
Bread
Pretzels
Low Fat or Fat Free ice cream
Lean Pockets

On another note, when I carb loaded my muscles got all swelled up. My calves look much bigger and more defined. I though I was carrying around bowling pins.

bradley
08-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
On another note, when I carb loaded my muscles got all swelled up. My calves look much bigger and more defined. I though I was carrying around bowling pins.

It is possible to overfill muscle glycogen stores (glycogen supercompensation), which could have occurred in your case if you took in enough carbs for this to occur.:)

harryhoudini66
08-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Low Carb:

Pork Chops
T-Bone
Filet Mignon
Salisbury steak
Ground Beef
Turkey Burger
Ostrich
Hamburger
Italian Sausage