PDA

View Full Version : No Longer Lightest WBB Member

FFeJ
08-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey all, in case you don't remember me i started a journal sometime last fall to record my progress. When beginning my weight training, i clocked in at 115 lbs. At the start of my journal, i was somewhere around 123.

Currently, I'm hanging in around low 150's. During the summer, I lifted on a "whenever i felt like it" basis pretty much. As for the eating, it hasn't been as much as I would have liked although I still gained maybe 5 lbs the past couple months.

The reason I'm starting this journal is because I am going to college tomorrow at K-State University and am planning on getting back into gear with the weight lifting/eating, considering i won't have a job and all i will have to concentrate on mainly will be school and lifting/eating. My goal will be to gain 30 lbs during the school year, topping off in the 180 area. I am fairly confident I can do it, so wish me luck ! :D

ryan1117
08-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Good luck. How tall are you? You'll most likely like the structure of college as opposed to high school. The extra flexibility is great. (especially when it comes to finding a good non-crowded time to go to the gym)

FFeJ
08-17-2003, 12:46 PM
thanks, i'm 5'10. i would like to post up some pictures sometime soon so i'll see if i can do that.

current measurements (cold, flexed) -

arms: 13.5"
legs: 22"
calves: 13.5"
waist:32"
chest: 38" (hard to do this one myself)

i imagine these measurements are a little smaller than when I was lifting more frequently during school (except the waist :) ) but oh well, this is where i'm starting my next step at.

RG570
08-17-2003, 01:28 PM
35lbs in under a year is great progress. What are your lifts?

RuLess
08-17-2003, 01:54 PM
yeah 35 pounds in under a year is nice

pz

FFeJ
08-17-2003, 02:09 PM
i'm not sure what my 1 rep maxes are right now but during school:

bench - 180
squat - 235
deadlift - 285

FFeJ
08-17-2003, 02:12 PM
those lifts were more impressive when i weighed less but it's all good, lifts tend to go up nicely when bulking :D also, i'm not as concerned about strength right now as i am concerned about gaining mass. the strength will come in due time.

FFeJ
08-19-2003, 09:48 AM
well i'm all set up in my dorm room... my roommate still has yet to show up but i'm not complaining :) anyway after i get through finding my classes and going through meetings and stuff i'll head over to the super spiffy rec and see how that is, maybe they have more than one squat rack ?!@?!?!?!

ElPietro
08-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Congrats on the gains man. Sticking to a routine and being successful at hitting goals and achievments, can carry over to many other aspects of your life, so just keep at it and reap the rewards. :thumbup:

FFeJ
08-19-2003, 01:44 PM
thanks, i think the the reason i made the kinds of weight gains that i've been making is the golden rule of bodybuilding: eating. i went from eating like an average person to eating as much as i could as often as i could to overcome the insane metabolism that i had, and it looks like it's been working. i also imagine that i'd be 15 - 20 lbs heavier right now if i didn't have a job or have to go to school because that stuff prevented me from eating when i got hungry.

update: my roommate arrived and he seems pretty cool.

i will be visiting the rec center tonight.

WillKuenzel
08-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Have fun dude! I loved my first years in college. The all-you-can eat cafeteria (bad tasting be damned there was plenty of it :D ), the first year classes aren't too tough so time went to training and eating. Make sure you do learn to study though. I waited until too late to learn and just about didn't recover. Its nice to be able to schedule your classes around when the gym is the least busiest and train when you want to.

Scott S
08-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Agreed completely! Learn how to study HARD now... don't do like me and blow off the first two years. I'm having to take an additional semester to finish up my minor and bump up a few of my grades. :(

FFeJ
08-19-2003, 08:22 PM
tues., aug. 19, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

well first of all i was a little disappointed in my huge rec center considering i saw one, i repeat, one squat rack in a facility that has like 20 benches and machines that span the horizon. anyway yeah.

today was mainly a "get back in the groove" workout so i didn't push it too much

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 8

dips - +25 x 6, +10 x 5, bw x 4 (minimal rest in between sets)

simultaneous db curls - 30 x 8, 25 x 6

not a bad workout to get back in to it.

since this journal is based on my ventures in the university gym, it would be worthy of a hot chicks thread like ryan1117's. all i can say is :drooling:

ryan1117
08-19-2003, 08:38 PM
That sounds like my gym. We do have 3 squat racks, but we don't have any power racks and I can't go to failure since the safety bars are further down than my ATF depth.

Another thing I find funny at my gym is how my bench and squat compare to others at school.

On an absolute scale, my bench would be better than my squat.
However on a relative scale, (at my gym) I'm a much better squatter than bencher since so many people do bench and not legs.

Are you getting football tickets? K-State should be pretty good this year.

FFeJ
08-19-2003, 08:43 PM
i probably will be, i think i'll get an activity ticket so the games will be cheaper.

one thing i will give the gym credit for is that they had a chalk container in there for people to use. sad thing is i found this after i did my work out with the bars that have the tiniest grooves in there for grip. oh well next time i'll know where it is.

another thing i like about the gym is that their benches have the racks that go straight up and down, and are not inclined like the ones at the Y where you have to unrack the bar way past your head and it screws up the whole lift.

FFeJ
08-20-2003, 12:46 PM
i have a slight amount of DOMS, but not too bad considering it wasn't an all or nothing workout. tonight i am hoping to have a free squat rack open, not to mention a smith machine for calf raises, but i don't know if that will happen considering this gym seems to get pretty busy at times. i don't like the way it's set up either, i bet i'll have trouble finding space for db lunges. oh well i'll just have to deal with it, someday i'll find the perfect gym :redface:

ryan1117
08-20-2003, 05:53 PM
If your school is anything like mine, the morning is the best time to go to the gym. My gym would be crowded even at 11:30pm. I always found things best before 11am.

FFeJ
08-20-2003, 11:06 PM
wednesday, august. 20, 2003

i think i found the best medium for my gym woes. i found out earlier that my dorm has a small weights facility in the basement and it's actually pretty cool. it has a squat rack, which i can use for benching without a spotter, a bench, many plates and dumb bells, and the best part of it is there's almost no one ever in it ! this should be really good to have intense workouts without having to wait for a rack, bench press, or whatever. it even has dip handles but the only thing i will need to purchase will be a dip belt. i think i will be using these facilities along with the rec since that's where my friend likes to go (hint hot chicks hint). but yea i will use the dorm weight room for when i don't have a spotter and for when i don't want to deal with anyone else but myself :)

anyway, on with the "getting back in the groove" leg day

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 2, 185 x 2, 135 x 10

db lunges - 35 x 5/5, 35 x 5/5

standing calves in squat rack (no smith machine to do these so i gotta learn to do them while keeping balance!)

135 x 20, 135 x 20

overall not a bad workout, i've been eating decently but it's been kinda hectic getting my to my classes and doing the whole college thing but i'm getting it down pretty well. plus it's been averaging in the 100 degree range so walking long distances makes me pretty dehydrated, not to mention losing a lot of water weight. oh well i'm not too bummed because my diet is getting back on track (lots of food) and it will be getting colder soon so i will be retaining more water and overall less crappy to walk to classes. all the walking and going up stairs isn't too bad for my legs tho, they needed something like that to get them back in shape hehe.

tomorrow i will probably go to the rec with my friend so i will see how that goes

FFeJ
08-20-2003, 11:08 PM
oh yeah i did some power cleans today as well, 135 x 2 x 2 just to check on my form (was horrid on first set heh, much better on second, but it will all come back)

Alex.V
08-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Damn... what's your power clean strength relative to squat strength?

FFeJ
08-21-2003, 06:48 AM
my strength weights are all out in the middle of nowhere right now because i'm still trying to get back into the swing of things. my personal best for squats is 235, power clean maybe 150, and these were at a body weight of around 130 -135 i think which is the last time i think i maxed out. so nop, my clean isn't close to my squat heh because those squat weights are not my 100% i would say

FFeJ
08-21-2003, 02:31 PM
thursday, aug. 21, 2003 - back/shoulder

went to the dorm weight room instead of the rec today, was a pretty good day, haven't done deadlifts in so long so i didn't push is 100% just yet

deadlifts - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5

bent over rows - never done these before so i had to start somewhere

95 x 10, 95 x 7

shrugs - 135 x 10, 135 x 10

hey, when you guys do these, what kind of grip do you use ? palms away or towards ? i used a different grip on both and was not sure which one i prefered

military press - 85 x 5, 75 x 5

ez bar curls (assuming bar weights 20 lbs) - 70 x 5, 70 x 4

50 crunches, set of 30 lying leg raises

not bad, not bad

FFeJ
08-21-2003, 02:33 PM
my diet is really going well, i've been eating lots of small meals throughout the day. i agree that the college schedule is much more flexible when it comes to eating/weightlifting :)

FFeJ
08-22-2003, 11:29 AM
friday, aug. 22, 2003 - rest day

today is a nice quiet day to relax, i've only got 2 classes today so it's kinda nice. i've got mild doms in my legs, hams especially, traps, and delts. tonight i'm not sure what i will do. i might go to a friend's dorm and check out a party or something.

FFeJ
08-23-2003, 05:05 PM
saturday, aug. 23, 2003 - rest

today is another rest day because i got pretty hammered last night. what a way to break in the first weekend at college :D

diet is pretty good, i haven't been to the rec in a while because i've been using the dorm weight room so i don't have a scale. i think i will wait until i go home next weekend to weigh in.

MixmasterNash
08-24-2003, 04:25 PM
My advice: Don't let workouts and studying get in the way of college!

Other really important advice:
- Find a good truck stop/diner. Chocolate malts and bacon are the 2nd best cure for a hangover ever devised. You know what the first is.
- Just go talk to the cute girl at the party. Don't think about it; do it. It's college and so it doesn't matter.
- Go on Spring Break to Cancun once. Then go on spring break to Spain.

Having a gym in your dorm sounds pretty sweet. Your cleans are impressive.

FFeJ
08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
nash: thanks for the advice, i agree with each of them, especially the talking to the cute girl at the party. when i first got here, i was pretty apprehensive even though i'm not super shy. now i'm attempting to be as outgoing as i can and talk to people, either walking down the street or at a party. besides, it's also even easier once you get a little alcohol in you eheh.

anyways, here's the workout for today.
--------------------------------------------------
sunday, aug. 24, 2003 - chest/tri

today i went to the rec with a couple friends from highschool who are now wanting to get into it after seeing how much progress i have made : )

i'm increasing the weights now because i think i'm getting back into the swing of things and am able to go to probalby 95 - 100% of my capabilities

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 155 x 4, 135 x 10

weighted dips (with dip belt) - +25 x 8, +10 x 5, bw x 4 with minimal rest in between, almost like a drop set : )

simultaneous db curls - 35 x 7, 25 x 10

crunches - 1 set of 50

laying leg raises - 1 set of 20

then proceeded to run some laps around the track.

diet is a little subpar lately what with all of the drinking and such, but weight is still low 150's

man, i gotta start a hot chicks section sometime, it's almost required. as i was running on the track, this girl in some orange volleyball shorts was just amazing. i should have ran up to her and begun conversation but i was too chicken : P if i see her again i will make it my mission to meet her because as MixmasterNash put it, it is college and i should be taking advantage of it. it was the best time too because i was all pumped up from those dips and curls, but ah well next time i will do it :)

FFeJ
08-24-2003, 05:05 PM
i also think it's really cool that my two friends are wanting to get into weight training too. one is trying to gain the weight, the other is trying to lose it. i'm a pretty good source of advice for them so i'm going to help them as much as i can. they were like, "man i'm going to with you everytime now." i know a lot of people say things like that when they first start out but i will make it a mission to keep them at it.

ryan1117
08-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by FFeJ
man, i gotta start a hot chicks section sometime, it's almost required. as i was running on the track, this girl in some orange volleyball shorts was just amazing. i should have ran up to her and begun conversation but i was too chicken : P if i see her again i will make it my mission to meet her because as MixmasterNash put it, it is college and i should be taking advantage of it. it was the best time too because i was all pumped up from those dips and curls, but ah well next time i will do it :)
Your journal is looking more and more like mine every day.:D
I agree though, in a university gym, over 50% of the women in there are usually hot.

MixmasterNash
08-24-2003, 09:26 PM
LOL at ryan. Excellent highlighting.

College rules. That's why I've spent an extra 5 years (so far) there (grad. school). I've had my moments where I thought, "I wish I was earning money and was mature and sutff," and then I realize how much working sucks, and once school is over, it's OVER. Just working for 40 more years.

Ah to be young and beautiful again. Wait wait, I was never young.

FFeJ
08-25-2003, 12:06 AM
ryan: hehe you're right ryan, i too have become a great fan of the volleyball shorts, or just short shorts in general :)

nash: yea too bad college can't last forever :) btw how old does that make you then ? :P

MixmasterNash
08-25-2003, 12:26 PM
I ripe, old 26 years and counting. But I feel like a 25 year old on my good days. However, I can still drink and riot with the best of them. Unfortunately, out basketball team might suck again this year. Damn spoiled brats.

FFeJ
08-25-2003, 08:29 PM
monday, aug. 25, 2003 - legs

hey all, today i took 3 friends to the rec for an old fashioned workout

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 6, 135 x 10

squats are feeling pretty damn good, my flexibility is getting back in the game, looks like i'm getting ready to push these guys once again !

couple sets of barbell lunges

calf raises in squat rack (not smith) - 145 x 20, 145 x 20

used the squat rack again for calf raises because you got it, the smith machine was taken. might i add that it's the only smith machine :rolleyes:

and then, i proceeded to make an attempt at the teaching of the power clean :p

as for me, i did 135 x 3 x 3 to show them how it was done, still not ready to push these yet because my form and technique need to be practiced a bit more

as for the other guys, well, heh, it wasn't pretty at first but i think they made quite a bit of progress after the first day.

hot chicks (for ryan1117 :p ): you guessed it folks, there was a plethora of them and it was very hard to single them down unless i had a top 20 eheh.

tomorrow: most likely back/shoulders, i will teach them right, and that means deadlifts of course ! :D

FFeJ
08-26-2003, 10:50 PM
tuesday, august 26, 2003 - back/shoulders

today was a fun day, went to the rec

light jog on the way to the rec

deadlift - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 3 !, 225 x 8

wow, haven't even done deads seriously in quite some time due to summer and that's the most i've ever done with 275, the return to eating a lot must be starting to provide its benefits again :)

barbell shrugs - 135 x 10, 185 x 15

military press - 45 x 5, 65 x 5, 85 x 7

some leg raises

today was an extra special day because yours truly, being the gentleman that he is, was given the opportunity to help TWO hot girls today.

the first girl came up to me and asked if i was using the leg press, i politely said "no, go ahead" and noticed that there were quite a few plates on there. so i asked, "would you like me to get this side for you ?" she gratefully replied yes, and i proceeded to remove them. there was even a 90 lb plate on each and i asked her if i could help her with the one on her side. she politely said no and got it on her own ! now that's my kind of girl.

now, for number two. even though these were two hot chicks, i liked number two the best. she was using the ab/dip apparatus to do leg raises, so after she was picking up her stuff i asked her if she was done. she said yes, and THEN walked over to the piece of equipment next to me and said, "i always have some trouble with this one, could you help me ?" she needed me to push part of it down while she held out the stabilizer piece. she gratefully said thanks, and i said anytime with a smile.

oh yes.

FFeJ
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
i think i might have even had a 4th rep at 275 but i didn't want to overdo it since i haven't deadlifted in a while. 315 should be mine soon.

FFeJ
08-27-2003, 09:48 AM
wednesday, aug. 27, 2003 - rest day

traps, back sore today. i should be able to eat quite a bit because i've only got two classes.

MixmasterNash
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Nice deads. About where I was when I was your weight. I think they really helped packing on mass. 10+lbs in one year. I attribute it all to deads and squats.

315 should be yours, easy.

FFeJ
08-27-2003, 06:13 PM
i think i should be pretty close to 315 if not already there. i probably won't max for a while though, need to get into routine for a while first

FFeJ
08-28-2003, 05:36 PM
thursday, aug. 28, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 155 x 5 (!), 135 x 8

dips (with dip belt) - +35 x 5 (!), +10 x 5, bw x 4 approximately 30 seconds in between sets

bb curl - 65 x 8, 40 x 10

couple sets of standing tricep extensions

abs

cool down jog on track

today wasn't a bad day even though i thought it was going to be, because i felt kinda sick today (sore throat, congestion) but ended up gaining a rep on bench from last week. this is now where i left off from school, so it's just up from here :)

many hot chicks, i walked home with no shirt on, caught quite a few looks ;) ever think it's funny how people treat you differently when you are bigger or more muscular i guess ? i remember back when i weighed about 115, not very many girls would give me the time of day but that is much different now.

FFeJ
08-29-2003, 10:16 AM
friday, aug. 29, 2003 - rest day

well today i'm goin home for the weekend since it's labor day and all.

i still have a sore throat, but not too mucn congestion so the weekend should help me get over it so i can be 100% next time i hit the gym.

FFeJ
09-01-2003, 10:01 PM
monday, sept. 1, 2003 - legs

one of the cool things of having the inside dorm gym is it's open on holidays :D

anyway, here goes:

squats - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 2, 135 x 6

i was not feeling the squats today, i couldn't get a good placement on my back with the bar in there, so i did not push much

barbell lunges - 45 x 8/8, 65 x 6/6, 65 x 6/6

still getting used to these, i can tell they're going to work my quads very well when i up the weight

calf raises in squat rack - 155 for 2 x 20 (!)

the calf raises go up each week because i'm growing accustomed to keeping balance with no smith machine to rely on.

the weekend was nice, i got to hang out with my brother and some friends back in wichita, but i'm back at kstate now to hit the weights and food and parties (oh yea i'm here for school too :P )

ryan1117
09-02-2003, 11:47 AM
I wish they would have dorm gyms for places on campus here also. It would reduce the huge strain on the main one. Plus, that is nice that you could work out over the holiday. I'm pretty sure things were closed here. (I don't work out on Monday anyway though)

FFeJ
09-02-2003, 09:24 PM
thursday, sept. 02, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

yea, i know this is supposed to be back day, but i promised to go to the gym with my friends (understudies :D ) and do the exercises with them, plus my legs are pretty sore right now so yea, no deadlifting right now.

anyway, on to the workout !

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 160 x 4 (!), 135 x 10

very pleased that i am progressing on bench again, it's nice to have a spotter :)

dips - +40 x 6 (!), +25 x 5, bw x 8

wow, pleased again here that dips are beginning to increase, especially with the rising body weight

simultaneous db curls - 30 x 9/9 (!), 20 x 13/13

i think this is the most i've done with the 30's simultaneously

crunches - 1 x 60, 1 x 20 (alternating side crunches)

set of throwdowns for abs also

cool down jog

weight - 152.7

i remember starting the school year around 149, partially because of the hectic moving in, extremely hot weather (+110 degrees), and all the walking, but the weight is getting back on track so that makes me happy :)

also, i am already beginning to see chest and arm development in my friend that's currently high 260's, my predictions are that this guy will be a monster !

clvmike19
09-02-2003, 09:54 PM
hey man whats up! Im a skinny guy too. Ill have to read your journal more often. Looks pretty cool. What did you start lifting at?

FFeJ
09-02-2003, 10:24 PM
hehe well when i started lifting, i clocked in at a whopping 115 lbs. this was at the start of my senior year of high school, so a little over a year ago :)

FFeJ
09-03-2003, 08:39 PM
wednesday, sept. 3, 2003 - legs

don't worry, back/shoulders will be tomorrow or friday

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 4, 185 x 3, 135 x 7

on these sets, i decided to experiment by using a slightly wider than normal stance (a little wider than shoulder width), which is basically the stance i used to use before my hip got fux0red. i like squatting this way because i feel much more flexible, so i think i will continue to squat this way until my hip starts telling me not to :)

barbell lunges - 45 x 4/4, 75 x 5/5 (!), 75 x 5/5 (!)

these felt more solid than last week, i think i'm finally getting the form down.

smith machine calf raises - 45 x 5, 225 x 15 (!), 225 x 12, 135 x 20

haven't been able to do these in a long time, i realized how much i missed them, as opposed to using the squat rack to do them. doing them in the smith machine really lets me put on a lot more weight because i don't have to worry about balancing.

2 laps around track for a cool down jog

weight - 153 lbs. (!)

FFeJ
09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
btw, like the new avatar ? :D

clvmike19
09-04-2003, 10:14 AM

Thats damn impressive. 115-150s. I wish I could make a 40lb jump in a year. Ill prob end up around a 30lb increase.

FFeJ
09-04-2003, 10:51 AM
thanks, it was a struggle nonethless with school and work (times where i couldn't eat!!!).

i think i could have put on a bit more too if i didn't have things like life to deal with :)

clvmike19
09-04-2003, 10:56 AM
ah life. Always gets in the way.

FFeJ
09-04-2003, 02:15 PM
thursday, sept. 4, 2003 - back/shoulders

deadlifts (sumo) - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 1, 295 x miss, 225 x 7

well folks, i tried out the 'ol sumo style, and i think i like it ! i got a little aggressive with the 295 and missed because i don't think i'm quite used to the new technique yet. 275 felt pretty good, i got it for 3 conventional last week, but i think once i get used to sumo i will blow it out of the water.

power cleans - 135 x 4, 135 x 3, 135 x 3

these are feeling a little better as compared to the last time i did them, as long as i keep at them my form will get better and better and i will start to move up in weight again.

shrugs - 185 x 10, 185 x 10

military press - 45 x 5, 65 x 4, 85 x 7 (!)

these guys are goin up too, since i hardly used to do them before, once i get used to the movement i think they will shoot up as well.

barbell rows - 85 x 10, 65 x 10

these sets were to get used to these, i had a little body english on the 85 set, so i dropped it down and focused just on my lats. my rom on these is pretty long, and i try to use as little body english as possible

overall not a bad day, i haven't eaten as much as i would have liked yet today but i will make up for it this evening. my energy in workouts are usually dictated by how much i get to eat, so i gotta keep the food intake high.
------------------------------
hot chicks - none :( worked out in the dorm rec today, i wanted to try out the sumo with as much space as i wanted before i go to the crowded rec

FFeJ
09-04-2003, 09:46 PM
one thing i have noticed about the sumo is that my left hip joint is starting to act up, it must have a lot more pressure on it than conventional deadlifting. i will watch this, if it continues i will have to go back to conventional dl'ing.

FFeJ
09-05-2003, 09:47 AM
friday, sept. 5, 2003 - rest day

traps, hams, and lower back a little sore

i will most likely go out tonight, it's the weekend baby !

Coke
09-05-2003, 09:58 AM
Have a good weekend dude...:)

ryan1117
09-05-2003, 08:25 PM
You'll probably like sumo better than conventional. I remember doing something like 10 pounds less for 3 reps the first time I did sumos, but they quickly passed my conventionals. I'd bet I'm 60-80 pounds better on sumo than conventional now.

RG570
09-06-2003, 04:40 AM
wow those deadlifts are looking strong FFeJ. BTW your avatar is hilarious.

FFeJ
09-06-2003, 09:15 AM
well, it's about 10 AM, and i'm coherent again. last night i went to a house party with a few friends. to make a long story short, i met lots of people, don't remember half of them, and i can't remember how many beers i had. i just remember telling lots of girls my dorm room number :p it was funny because afterwards as i stumbled into my dorm, drank some milk (not sure why, but i wanted to), and jumped into bed hitting my head on the wall, my roommate was watching a movie so i started talking my head off in my bed until i finally was out for the night. good times ! :thumbup:

also, tech n9ne is coming monday to manhattan, so i'll probably go to that with some friends. i went to one of his shows in wichita and it was pretty cool.

cocoa: oh i started it off right, looks like it's going to be a good one :thumbup:

ryan1117: i agree, the sumo feels more natural, so as long as it doesn't aggravate my hip i think i will go up pretty fast with it.

RG570: thanks, yea i choose my avatars carefully and this one just cracks me up :p

FFeJ
09-07-2003, 10:21 PM
sunday, sept. 7, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

today was kind of an experimental day, and a little broken up because i was doing laundry 2 rooms over during workout

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 6, 135 x 5, 135 x 5

on these, i tried doing them in the power rack because i had no spotter. the weights are lower because i was trying different settings for the safety stops. eventually i got it right by placing a few 5 lb plates under my bench to raise it up just the little bit that it needed because i couldn't get it right using just the safety stops

dips - bw x 10, bw x 5

no belt, just pumped out a few after tiring myself out adjusting the rack for benching

db bench - 35 x 8, 35 x 6, 35 x 6

tried these guys out today, looks like an exercise i might want to continue doing. i was experimenting with different ways of loading/unloading the db's because once i go heavier i want to be able to expend the least energy possible getting them up. any suggestions on the way you guys do them ?

db curls - 30 x 9/9, 30 x 9/9

got a 10th rep on the 2nd set, but it was a little ugly so we're not gonna count it today ;)

bunch of ab exercises

hot chicks: none in the weight room, but there were a few hotties in the laundry room :thumbup: it was nice to have a good pump goin on whilst in there :cool:

FFeJ
09-08-2003, 01:23 PM
monday, sept. 8, 2003 - rest

today will probably be a rest day, it's 2:22 PM now and i have some hw to do since all of my classes are done for the day. tonight is also the day that tech n9ne is coming to 'ol manhattan, ks. he came into wichita a while back when i was still living at home, and he put on a pretty darn good show :thumbup:

FFeJ
09-09-2003, 08:01 PM
tuesday, sept. 9, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 6, 205 x 3, 225 x 2 (!)

nice squatting day, but it wasn't quite parallel. i think i might stay here again and hit parallel.

lunges - 45 x 4/4, 95 x 4/4 (!), 95 x 4/4(!)

lunges are feeling good, i just need to work on the balance a little bit when going back up with the left foot forward, but they're starting to become solid :thumbup:

smith machine calf raises - 45 x 5, 135 x 20, 135 x 20, 135 x 20

figured i'd switch it up and give the calves a good burn. sometimes i think it seems like they are worked better and i have more doms when i go in the higher rep ranges

one cool down lap, legs were hurting

weight - 152.1; weight isn't up because my diet hasn't been up to par lately. with the partying friday night, tech n9ne on monday, it hasn't been all too great. workouts like this though give me the motivation to keep it going, so needless to say i'll be eating like a pig again :)

FFeJ
09-09-2003, 08:03 PM
oh yeah, tech n9ne was awesome ! i saw him in wichita a while back and it was pretty badass then too.

ryan1117
09-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Do you have adjustable bars on the power rack? I know when I had them, I could set them wherever parallel was for me and there would be no guess work on where to go down to since parallel would be at the pins.

FFeJ
09-09-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah, they have a power rack and a regular squat rack up here. i usually use the power rack, and it does have adjustable bars. i think i will start doing that, maybe set them a notch lower than parallel because i don't like it when i bump the safety bars at the bottom.

FFeJ
09-10-2003, 07:43 PM
wednesday, sept. 10, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

today my legs were hurting so i decided to forgo my back/shoulder day, which i will do tomorrow since i'll be going home friday for the weekend. also, i must have eaten something bad during dinner because my workout was very poor, seemed like my food did not want to digest. i also should have waited a little longer after eating as well, that might have helped a little bit.

anyway, on to the workout

barbell bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 2, 155 x 2, 135 x 8

these really suffered because i always have to have a good feel and be feeling good that day to do good on these.

dips (with belt) - +45 x 4, +25 x 4, bw x 7

little rest in between sets. the +45 set wasn't extremely disappointing, but was still under par from where it should be.

simultaneous db curls - 30 x 7/7

only one crap set because i wasn't feeling spectacular by now.

db bench - 42 x 6/6, 42 x 5/5

weird weight i know. i'm still experimenting to find a good way of mounting/unmounting them since it's still a new exercise to me. next week i will probably up to 45 or 50.

that was it, didn't do abs because i wasn't feeling it today.

weight - 153.8 (!) well my weight was the only good thing today. i started eating a lot again since i slacked off this weekend. i think if i continue to eat as much as planned, i will hit 160 soon.

i have some good doms in my legs, lunges are t3h r0x0r.

FFeJ
09-11-2003, 08:41 AM
right now i've still got the legs and glutes doms, plus some chest/delt soreness goin on. i was hoping my legs would be a little less sore so i could tear up the deadlifts today. we'll just have to see.

FFeJ
09-11-2003, 03:00 PM
i've been thinking about moving the military presses to my chest/tri day, instead of back. i could move the curls to back day too if i do that.

ryan1117
09-11-2003, 03:38 PM
right now i've still got the legs and glutes doms, plus some chest/delt soreness goin on. i was hoping my legs would be a little less sore so i could tear up the deadlifts today. we'll just have to see.
Of course, I always like to not be sore from something else on my next workout, but you'll probably be okay lifting-wise. I've done deadlifts directly after squats before and have only experienced maybe 5-10 pounds damage. So, I think you'll be okay doing them a few days later. (which would be today)

i've been thinking about moving the military presses to my chest/tri day, instead of back. i could move the curls to back day too if i do that.

I'd do that if I were you.

FFeJ
09-11-2003, 03:43 PM
yea, i'm going to go eat some dinner and go try out sumo again

i also think i'm going to stick with the changing up the military press and curls for different days.

FFeJ
09-11-2003, 07:59 PM
thursday, sept. 11, 2003 - back/shoulders

deadlift (sumo) - 45 x 10, 135 x 8, 225 x 6

well, i decided to not do max effort on deads for several reasons. one, my friends pussed out from the rec so i sat around for nearly 2 hours doing nothing in their dorm after dinner because i didn't feel like walking all the way there by myself. eventually i walked back to my dorm complex with a friend and used the weight room in his dorm. the other reasons were that it was chilly outside so i was cold and had little to warm up with (no track or anything to take a warm up jog), plus no chalk (i feel more confident using it when there's crappy knurling on the bar; i feel the same on bench, if my grip isn't tight, i won't lift well). but anyway the 225 flew up, sumo rocks.

shrugs - 135 x 20, 135 x 20

time to up the shrug weight

military press - 95 x 4 (!), 95 x 2

well i lowered the rep range on military press because i wanted to put the 25's on and get away with it. i'm thinking about trying these seated so i keep my back more straight when i go heavy.

bent over rows - 95 x 10, 95 x 10

felt better than last times i've done them.

ab work

today was ok, it was the last day for military press on back day, and it will now be moved to chest/tri day. curls will now replace those on back day.

diet - good, i've been keeping the food in my stomach so i should be weighing in around 154 ish, we'll have to see monday if i keep my diet in check. that might be a struggle because i'll be going back to wichita and staying out late :rolleyes:

FFeJ
09-12-2003, 12:18 PM
friday, sept. 12, 2003 - rest

mild doms in my traps and lats

goin home for wichita around 4:30 - 5:00 PM

diet's good, i've been thinking about starting to post my diet to show how much i've been eating.

well so far:
#1 - 1 bowl cereal, 1 cup milk
#2 - 2 hot dogs in buns with ketchup, 1 can pepsi
#3 - turkey sandwich with cheese sauce on bun, small bowl of mashed cheese potatoes, small bowl of salad, few chips, glass of hawaiian punch

later i will probably eat 2 to 3 more meals.

FFeJ
09-12-2003, 12:19 PM
my diet isn't the cleanest around but my metabolism is high so i can usually get away with lots of calories that without gaining too much bodyfat.

FFeJ
09-15-2003, 10:07 PM
monday, sept. 15, 2003 - push

Well, today at this workout i finally came to a realization. I haven't really discussed this much in my journal but i have been having a slight shoulder problem, mainly in my right shoulder. It has a good rom, but sometimes it will have a "click" in it. Now, normally this doesn't seem like much of a problem but i think it has a great effect on my bench press. Some days are good and my shoulder feels very little stress and doesn't have the "click" while bench pressing, but more often than not nowadays whenever i unrack the weight it feels heavy and seems to put much stress on my shoulders. This of course brings the clicking shoulder back into play and it just all around screws up my benching. To give an example of the setbacks this causes, back in high school at around 130 some odd pounds, i was pressing close to 185.

Now, with around 20 more lbs on me, which a good portion of it is lean body mass, i have difficulty pressing in the 170 range. My solution to this problem is to just drop barbell benching completely for a while and see how that goes. The funny thing is that i can perform a fairly intensive shoulder exercise such as dips and flat dumbell press without any discomfort. I'm even improving in dips while my weight goes up! I can also military press fairly easily as well.

One guess as to why I experience this shoulder problem while benching could possibly be bad form. Another could be that I have not let my shoulders catch up to my chest and triceps. But anyway, enough ranting about my problems. The action that i am deciding to take is to drop barbell pressing and replace it with db pressing for a while because it seems that my shoulder does not experience the aggravation.

Now, on to the workout:

bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 165 x 1 (at this point i made my decision to drop barbell benching for a while because this is just plain silly weight for me to struggle with), 135 x 7

dips (with belt) - +45 x 5 (!), +25 x 7, bw x 5

little rest in between sets

flat db press - 35 x 10, 35 x 7

doing these after barbell bench and dips really prevents them from being pushed. i am curious to see how i can perform on these fresh, which is what i will be doing for a whil since i'm dropping barbell bench.

barbell curls - 65 x 7 (got a cramp in my toe so i had to stop for a second; probably would have gotten ~10 on this set), 65 x 5

now, because my mind was still pondering my shoulder problem, i forgot that i moved curls to back day. they will be moved from now on though.

seated military press - 45 x 5, 65 x 8

was very fatigued here, so i just spent some time adjusting the seat and height of safety bars.

weight - 153.3 going home on weekend = not very good diet because i went out and hung out late in the night. i am fairly satisfied because with the calories that i consumed this weekend, i still maintained my weight. this gives me all the more reason to bring in the food for my bulk.

FFeJ
09-16-2003, 02:08 PM
i've got some doms in my chest and tri's, those dips sure do the trick. tonight will be legs.

ryan1117
09-16-2003, 03:15 PM
I think it may be a blessing in disguise with you switching to DB press. I prefer the exercise over the barbell because i can go to failure without the worry of a spotter grabbing the bar 2 or 3 reps too soon. Plus, I think they work the chest as hard or harder than barbell.

As for your question in my journal as to how I handle the DBs; I usually do a sit up with them on my chest. However, some DBs are shaped differently making this hard to do. In that case, I usually set one down on the floor and sit up with both hands on the other one. I usually make the best compromise between my safety and dropping the DB.

FFeJ
09-16-2003, 08:21 PM
tuesday, sept. 16, 2003 - legs

i had a great day today, gym wasn't too packed and it was niiiice.

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 3, 205 x 6 (!), 225 x 1, 135 x 6

barbell lunges - 95 x 5/5 (!), 95 x 5 (!)

standing smith calves - 185 x 15 (!), 185 x 15 (!)

not sure if these are PR's, but they were very smooth

sitting calves - 100 x 10 (!), 100 x 10 (!)

this is an exercise i don't do very often, but may be incorporating so i have a second calf exercise

one cool down lap around track

weight - 154.9 (!)

diet's not too shabby, as is shown by the weight.

Coke
09-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Very nice session man, looks like you are bringing them squats up - :thumbup:

FFeJ
09-17-2003, 11:13 AM
wednesday, sept. 17, 2003 - rest

very nice doms in my quads/glutes, and a little in my calves.

thanks CoCoa, they are coming up nicely since i've been working out fairly regularly as of late. the 205 was my working set.

FFeJ
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
thursday, sept. 18, 2003 - back/bi's

deadlift (sumo) - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 5 (!), 225 x 7

very nice, i even found out that my sumo is even stronger when i bring in my feet a little bit, because on the set of 275 i had them a little too far out. still stronger than conventional, but i think i tapped into the right stance for me on the last set of 225 because it just flew up. i feel stronger with my feet in just a little bit more too, so overall a very good deadlifting day!

barbell shrugs - 185 x 15, 185 x 15

barbell rows - 135 x 10, 135 x 5

too lazy to take plates off and put something smaller on so i just kinda winged these because my form wasn't too good.

simultaneous dumbell curls - 35 x 5, 20 x 7

cool down jog.

weight - 154.1 (this was a before dinner workout, and i normally lift a little bit after dinner so my "regular" weight is probably 155 something)

hot chicks - there's this brunette hottie that i saw that is also in my chem class. i'll have to strike up a conversation in class tomorrow. probably along the lines of, "hey, i saw you at the rec yesterday" :thumbup:

2 other very good looking chicks that i met at a party were at the rec. these girls i remember well because they are from my hometown but went to a different highschool.

JeffWillConquer
09-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Nice journal. By the way, do you play team fortress? I just got done playing with a guy with the exact same name.

FFeJ
09-18-2003, 09:44 PM
thanks, nope i don't play team fortress. i used to be a hardcore warcraft 2 player though.

ryan1117
09-18-2003, 10:13 PM
I also don't seem to be good with too wide of a stance on sumos. I know some people on here pratically take the feet to the plates. I feel most comfortable with a fairly narrow stance for sumo.

FFeJ
09-19-2003, 07:44 AM
friday, sept. 19, 2003 - rest

some pretty intense doms in my lower back, and a little in my traps/bi's

it's also the weekend, so i'll probably go out and have a little fun tonight :thumbup:

FFeJ
09-21-2003, 11:42 AM
saturday, sept. 20, 2003 - rest

Well, it's actually sunday but friday and saturday i went out to some house parties and had a sucky diet, but still got a decent amount of calories in. Saturday night was very fun, i had a blast with some friends at this one party and i met a very cool girl and got her number. Needless to say, i'll be calling her up in the next day or so.

Today will be chest/triceps.

FFeJ
09-21-2003, 08:04 PM
sunday, sept. 21, 2003 - push day

flat db press - 25 x 10, 50 x 15 (!), 35 x 10

these felt pretty good. stabilization isn't quite up to par yet, but that's to be expected. also, the shoulder had a little click in it, but it isn't troublesome like it is when i'm bench pressing. next time i will move up to the 55's.

dips (with belt) - +50 x 3 (expected to be higher), +25 x 7, bw x 4

wow, i knew i shouldn't have pushed these since i had a party filled weekend. next time i'll go back to 45 and bang out some reps.

seated military press - 95 x 2, 85 x 5

after the db pressing and dips, these are pretty hard to do! i think one of my problems is still setting it up incorrectly in that i need to raise the starting stops higher so i don't have to press the weight up and then begin my set. oh well gotta learn as you go.

weight - 153.1 (this was expected due to my weekend, but it's time to get back into gear now that it's the beginning of the week.)

ryan1117
09-21-2003, 08:48 PM
My strength (as documented in my journal) suffers considerbly on military press after other upper body exercises.

I do like the seated military machines they have here since I can unrack the weight at the starting position and don't have to start from the bottom of the lift.

FFeJ
09-21-2003, 09:00 PM
yea upper body exercises really seem to drain your energy and strength when you move onto military press. i think there is a little strength in just adjusting the machine a little more tho. do you prefer the free seated military press or the smith machine ? i have been using a free barbell for this exercise.

FFeJ
09-22-2003, 01:28 PM
monday, sept. 22, 2003 - rest

doms in chest/triceps, and a little in my lats for some reason, maybe the military press caused that. the db presses are giving me more doms in my pecs than barbell, which is what i hoped for.

tomorrow i have a calculus test so i will probably be studying for that later, plus i have an engineering meeting to attend at 5:30 so i will do legs tomorrow.

not sure what weight is, estimated 154 - 155

FFeJ
09-23-2003, 10:01 PM
tuesday sept. 23, 2003 - legs

excellent session today~

squats - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 4(!), 135 x 10

felt great, went a little forward on the last rep of 225 but i saved it.

barbell lunges - 95 x 6/6 (!), 95 x 3/3

lunges are excellent~

smith machine calf raises - 225 x 10, 225 x 10, 225 x 10

not too bad, squats and lunges took lots of my energy so didn't push these too hard

sitting calves - 90 x 10, 90 x 6

good burn.

weight - 152 (weight is down because i was studying for a calculus test last night and today, but it will go back up)

ryan1117
09-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Does WBB have yet another engineer on here? (you)

I hated Calculus because you couldn't use calculators which meant no programming formulas they wouldn't give you into the calculator.:)

FFeJ
09-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Yup, i'm in mechanical engineering :cool: :cool:

Yea the no calculators part kind of sucks. Before, like 2 years ago, they were permissible but the calculus curriculum got MUCH harder recently. My brother took it 3 years ago and it was a joke.

John0101
09-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Dang dude, ME is a hard major. 60-70% of the engin majors drop out of my school by their sophomore year, myself included. You might think that first two semester is a joke (a lot of my friends got 3.0+ gpa during the first semester), calc1,2, physics 1,2, chem1,2, maybe a intro ME class, but then it just start struggling. It's really time consuming and the material gets really tough.

EXPECT TO HAVE TO WORK YOUR ASSS OFF!!!!

FFeJ
09-24-2003, 08:14 PM
wednesday, sept. 24, 2003 - back/bi

very nice session.

deadlift - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 x 7 (!), 225 x 7

excellent, sumo is really workin' for me, got 275 7 times today. almost lost balance on first rep but i recovered and banged out the reps. i think if i pushed it to the max i could have gotten 8.

shrugs - 185 x 20 (!), 185 x 15

bent over rows - 95 x 10, 95 x 7

simultaneous db curls - 30 x 7

at this point, my forearms were fried, so that was why i could not get more reps.

barbell curls - 55 x 4

yup forearms dead.

weight - 154.3 (diet not too bad !)

i'm excited that my lifts are going up, i think now that i'm in a fairly structured routine again my body is adjusting to the stress and i'm making gains.

ryan1117
09-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Great job on the deads! That's a major PR on sumos for you right?

FFeJ
09-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Yup, last deadlift session i got 5 reps, but as i'm getting more and more accustomed to sumo it seems to be jumping up. I remember last time i did conventional, i got 275 for 3 reps.

FFeJ
09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
thursday, sept. 25, 2003 - push day

db bench - 20 x 10, 20 x 10, 55 x 11 (!), 40 x 10

Good set of db bench, i'm slowly getting my stabilizers up to par and am controlling the weight better. I really pushed myself on the last set to get 10 reps.

weighted dips - +45 x 2, +25 x 7, bw x 7

I really should have rested more in between the db bench and first dip set, as is indicated by the first set. Oh well, at least the db's are giving me quite a workout!

seated military press - 85 x 5, 65 x 4

Very worn out by now. I just kinda do this exercise to finish me off. Maybe eventually my upper body will have a little more stamina in order to push these harder after benching and dips.

50 crunches

20 leg push downs with my partner

2 cool down laps around the track

weight - 155.1 (!)

FFeJ
09-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Sunday, Sept. 28, 2003 - rest

Friday, saturday, and sunday were rest days for me. Had a pretty good weekend, and I drove home with a friend to Wichita. Friday night i went out with my brother and some friends to Graham's, which is one of the clubs around town. Saturday night we drove down to Ark City for the car show/some street racing action. Had a pretty good time there, my brother raced a pretty fast LS1 with some nitrous that went 12.20's on street tires with 20 inch rims. My brother has an 86 Mustang like mine with some AFR heads and other things. My brother was also squeezing that night with a 175 shot :) Needless to say, my brother killed him off the line and made the race pointless because he had his drag radials on. From a roll, they were almost dead even. Today I just kinda laid around and am getting my stuff packed up to go back up to Manhattan here in a little bit. Also, on a side note, I bought an iSub for my mac and it sounds pretty damn good.

Weekend diet - Meh. Will get back to business during the week.

FFeJ
09-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Just unpacked all of my stuff in my dorm and what do i find? A note on my board on the door from a girl that i met last weekend at a party. Earlier in the week before i left i called her once and left a message on her cell phone. One of two days later i go up to her room and leave a message on her board. At this point, i received no response so i was like ok maybe she's just not interested. Well, looks like i was mistaken because she wants to hang out this weekend :) So yea, looking forward to that.

FFeJ
09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
tuesday, sept. 30, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 135 x 20 (!)

Not too bad, was very cold outside and i didn't warm up enough so didn't push the set of 225. Decided to do a 20 repper for some variety so i did that. Very pleased because form and depth was excellent on every rep, went nice and slow.

barbell lunges - 95 x 7/7 (!)

These were pretty nice, happy to get this right after the 20 rep set on squats.

seated calf raises - 90 x 10

standing smith calves - 225 x 13, 225 x 15

Pretty beat by then.

50 crunches, 10 side crunches

2 cool down laps around track

Weight - 154.9 - Looks like it came right back up from yesterday, i had a poor diet (not enough meals, calories, etc) yesterday but today was better.

Coke
09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Nice leg session, even got those lunges in there - good work!

FFeJ
09-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks, i really like the barbell lunges. After i got the balance and form decent, they work the quads amazingly well.

FFeJ
10-01-2003, 11:30 AM
wednesday, oct. 1, 2003 - rest

Today I'm gonna rest the body so i can do some deadlifts tomorrow. Right now i've got doms in my quads. I'm supposed to call back a girl i met a couple weeks ago at a party today. I ran into her 2 days ago, so i just have to call her up and see how she's doing and we're gonna decide what to do friday night.

FFeJ
10-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Thursday, Oct. 2, 2003 - back/shoulder

Well today i wasn't feeling 100% due to broken sleep and had a kinda iffy dinner so my workout wasn't up to full potential.

Deadlifts - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 1, 295 x 3(!), 225 x 7

I think i should be able to get about 4 or 5 reps at this weight. I was kinda feeling light headed/not 100% on the 295 set so i didn't think about form good enough and my legs straightened almost immediately so i had to compensate by lifting mainly with my back. With good form and feeling good i will get this weight at more reps.

Barbell Shrugs - 185 x 20 (!), 185 x 20 (!)

Not sure if these are PR's, but probably if i got 20 reps on two sets. I did these with an overhand grip. I think i might use an underhand grip next time and see if i like it better. I'm not sure what kind of grip people normally use on barbell shrugs though.

Barbell Rows - 135 x 10, 135 x 5

These were done a little differently this time. I used an underhand grip and pulled towards my waist instead of to my lower chest. I also had a little less angle in my back, making the rom a little shorter. I did this because having a longer rom and different form just makes me feel like i'm using my arms too much, even at a lighter weight like 95 lbs.

Seated Military Press - 95 x 6(!), 65 x 7

I moved these back to back day because my upper body is literally drained by the time i get to these on chest day, so it seemed sensible to move them. Also, since my forearms are usually killed from deadlifts and shrugs on back day, this hurt my curling weight severely so that's another reason that i prefer having the curls back on chest/tri day.

Weight - 154.7

ryan1117
10-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Deadlifts - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 1, 295 x 3(!), 225 x 7

I think i should be able to get about 4 or 5 reps at this weight. I was kinda feeling light headed/not 100% on the 295 set so i didn't think about form good enough and my legs straightened almost immediately so i had to compensate by lifting mainly with my back. With good form and feeling good i will get this weight at more reps.

That used to happen to me also with being light headed. I have no idea why I no longer experience that. I used to nearly black out at the lockout of my deadlifts. I still have had some close calls, but those were more with 15-second marathon lockout battles.

FFeJ
10-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Friday, Oct. 3, 2003 - rest

Today is a rest day so i'll probably just take it easy. I've got doms in my lower back and still in my quad/hams from leg day. Traps are also sore.

Tonight the girl i was talking about is supposed to call me when she's all done with her things so we'll probably go out and do something, which i am looking foward to.

FFeJ
10-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Monday, Oct. 6, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

Wow, I had a crazy weekend. I went on that date friday night, which went pretty well but the real story was on saturday night. To make a long story short, my friends and i had just a tad bit too much everclear. But anyway, I digress. My workout performance was kind of expected due to my weekend ventures. Also, I had very little to eat today because I had an ME meeting to go to and a chemistry test this evening, so diet's been subpar these days. I'll get back on track tho, don't worry. Anyway, on to the workout.

Dumbell Press - 30 x 5, 30 x 5, 55 x 8, 37 x 10, 37 x 10

As usual, the press is the first exercise to suffer after an eventful weekend and poor diet. It's ok though, i just pumped out some reps and reduced the weight and practiced my form a bit.

Dips - +25 x 5, +25 x 6, bw x 7

Not too bad, ever since i switched to dumbell press, i'm a little more tired when i move on to the dips. Those dumbells give me a better workout than the barbell did.

Simultaneous DB Curls - 35 x 8 (!)

Ever since i moved curls back to this day, i've been much stronger on them. Same for putting military press on back day, i'm much stronger on that exercise when it's on that day.

EZ-Bar Curl - 65 x 5

Couple sets of abs

2 laps around the track

Done.

Weight - 153 - I actually was surprised that it was this high even after my weekend and poor diet. This gives me even more motivation to put on the pounds because it seems like my metabolism is slowing down a little bit.

Coke
10-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Nice session regardless, just getting to the gym and doing something is the key - :)

keep it up mane

FFeJ
10-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Right now i've got some nice doms in my pecs and arms, biceps as well since i really pushed myself to get 8 reps on the db curls yesterday.

FFeJ
10-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 5, 135 x 10

worked a little bit on my form, keeping the reps deep and solid

barbell lunges - 100 x 8/8 (!), 100 x 5/5

calves - Had to improvise with the equipment at hand, so i just did some random exercises

3 sets of 25 standing calf raises while holding 45 lb plate, pausing at top of each rep.

I experimented with trying to stimulate my calves by going in the other direction (lifting up on my toes), so i used a 45 lb plate and tried them sitting/standing but it was difficult to do.

50 crunches, 20 lying leg raises (one of my favorite ab exercises)

worked out in the dorm basement while i did my laundry today.

EDIT: Due to popular demand, the numbers for calf and ab exercises will be listed :)

ryan1117
10-07-2003, 08:31 PM
...some calf work

ab work...

Did your pen or pencil quit working? Let's see some numbers.:)

Coke
10-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Good leg work dude, glad to see you sqeeze in some ab and calves too - ;)

FFeJ
10-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Deadlifts will be tonight.

FFeJ
10-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Thursday, Oct. 9, 2003 - back/shoulder

My diet is still subpar lately, largely due to the suspicious food served in the cafeteria... Hopefully when i go home i will get it back on track and continue when i come back. It seems like the food here this week just isn't very good/doesn't look safe to eat.

deadlift - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 300 x 2 (!), 225 x 8

I really feel that i should have gotten more reps here. One cause is most likely my diet. Another could possibly be my form because the last two sessions i have been experimenting with a wider grip, solely because i can have my whole hand on the knurling. When i do this, though, my hands end up on the outsides of my legs at the top of the lift, which i don't know if they should be like that in the sumo style.

Ryan1117: I remember when you were talking about your deadlift form, you said your hands were ending up on the outside of your legs. Is this the same example as i have described? I think i will go back to the narrower grip, even though there's less knurling, because i think my form is better and i use less of my back making the lift with proper form.

power cleans - 135 x 3

Just doing them to check up on my form. I'm pretty shot after deads so i'm sure form was not perfect.

barbell shrugs - 225 x 15 (!), 225 x 15

My rom was excellent on the first set, so that will get a PR, rom was good on the second set up until the last couple reps.

bent over rows - 135 x 10 (!), 135 x 5

Rom was better on this set than the last time i tried it with 135.

seated military press - 45 x 5, 95 x 6

I think the set of power cleans took a little out of me that prevented me from getting a PR here. Next time they should go up.

weight - 153.0

Yea, my diet has really been in a calorie deficit lately. Once it gets back on track, my strength should increase more easily.

ryan1117
10-09-2003, 09:28 PM
I use the narrowest grip I can use while still being on the knurling. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of universal knurling for bars, so I think it will be in the same spot on all bars.

My hands usually end up right on my thighs at the top of the lift. They ended up on the outside of my thigh before due to my stance being narrower than normal. You might try widening your stance if you don't like where your hands are ending up because the stronger you get, the more you will need the knurling.

FFeJ
10-09-2003, 09:33 PM
My grip seemed pretty good being a little narrower, just part of my hands were off the knurling (which is a crappy knurling at that), and it didn't seem to affect my grip a whole lot. I just wanted to experiment and see how it would be if i had all of my hand on the knurling, but it seems like it just messes with my form, so i plan to go back to the other grip, get my diet back on track, and start setting better PR's.

FFeJ
10-15-2003, 08:27 PM
wednesday, oct. 15, 2003 - chest/tri

barbell bench - 45 x 10, 95 x 7, 135 x 5 for 5 sets.

Haven't done barbell in several workouts, didn't have dumbells so i used this.

skull crushers - 35 x 15, 35 x 10

Did these since no dip bars or machine to use. Haven't done these in a while, i think i'll put them into my routine to switch up from dips. This is assuming ez bar weighs 15 lbs.

ez bar curls - 65 x 10, 65 x 5

Switched up from dumbell curls this week. Also assuming ez bar weighs 15 lbs.

db one handed row - 40 x 10/10, 40 x 10/10

Fun workout, used my friend's dorm's gym since he lost his wildcat card, meaning we couldn't go to rec.

Might consider a 5x5 routine to switch it up for the big three for a while.

FFeJ
10-16-2003, 08:41 PM
thursday, oct. 16, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 45 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5 x 5

Playing around with the 5x5 sets still, it actually tore me up really well, partly because i forgot my water. The last couple sets drained me.

barbell lunges - 105 x 3/3

This is not a strength issue here, i was just worn out from the squats. I think i'll set a PR next time if i'm feeling good after squats next session.

standing incline calf machine - 90 x 20, 90 x 12

I've never used this one before, might use it to substitute the smith machine squats sometimes.

weight - 154.4

Weight is slowy coming back up, diet is getting better (more calories), now i just have to keep it going through the weekend and i should start gaining pretty easily. I'm really contemplating going out this weekend because it always seems to screw up my diet and rest. We'll see how strong my willpower is ;)

ryan1117
10-16-2003, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the diet for the weekend. You do have a point on the rest though. A lack of rest can quickly bury me in a hole liftingwise.

FFeJ
10-16-2003, 10:54 PM
For me, from experience, it's the food intake that determines my workout. Rest is an important factor but i think my diet moreso reflects how my workout will be. If i get a lot of calories/carbs, my workouts are usually very good. If not, my strength usually suffers a bit.

FFeJ
11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, i've been busy doing stuff lately and have not been updating my journal, partly due to laziness. I will go ahead and post the last two workouts, and try to keep this updated.

Monday, Nov. 4, 2003 - back/shoulders

deadlift - 45 x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 275 for 3 sets of 1, 225 x 7

Just doing some form work with some semi heavy singles. I've been a real stickler on my form on my exercises lately, which would indicate the decrease in weights used. For deadlifts today, I decided that i like to be using a fairly narrow grip (middle finger is on the insides of the knurling on the bar, which doesn't seem to affect my grip even though they're not entirely on the knurling). I like the narrow grip because it allows me to keep a decently narrow sumo. I do not like having my feet super wide on sumos, i just feel a lot less powerful that way.

standing military press - 95 x 7(!), 95 x 3

I was pleased with this exercise increasing. Since I started doing it more often rather than just sporadically, I am getting used to the form and am able to increase.

bent over rows - 95 x 10

I'm setting this as my starting point because on these the rom is very large with very little momentum during all of the reps. I'm trying to get the best lat contraction that i can with each rep.

--------------------------------------------

Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 8, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 3 for 5 sets, 135 x 10

Once again, i'm being a real stickler about my form here. My depth is very good, and i'm really concentrating on using as little of my back as possible, getting the power from my legs to push me up. It seems to be working well. I will be upping weight next session.

calf raises in squat rack - 135 x 10 for 3 sets.

I was pretty worn out from the super strict squats that, and since i had no smith machine or calf raise apparatus, i just did these in the squat rack.

Coke
11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
The sessions were cool, but you can't get off the hook so easily -;) ...keep it up bro!

FFeJ
11-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Thursday, November 6, 2003 - chest/tri's/bi's

db bench - 35 x 5 for 3 sets, 55 x 11, 42 x 10, 35 x 9

I held back a couple reps on the set with the 55's, because i didn't like my form throughout the set. I'm going to drop down to the 50's next time and work on my muscle contractions. I'm a form freak now :)

alternating db curls - 32 x 9/9, 24 x 10/10

Excellent form with the 32's, very pleased with set.

dips - bw x 10, bw x 5

I tried using a different apparatus for these, which i like A LOT better. I'll go back to weighted dips next session, because these were not to failure.

skullcrushers - 35 x 10, 35 x 10

Used one of the loaded ez bars from the rack with different weights. This is another exercise i'm watching the form closely on. The first set i had my hands too close together and it made my right wrist pop on some of the reps. I moved them out some and it fixed it. I think i might try the straight bars that have weight loaded on them next time if i can find the correct weight.

weight - 154.1

Not bad, not bad for the way my diet has been lately (not quite enough calories). I've got a renewed desire to get everything back on track again so i expect my weight to start going back up again.

miscellaneous - Right now i'm up at KSU. I've decided to go back home next semester for a few reasons. One of them is that i think it's a big waste of money that you pay for a sub-par education. There is much talk about their 5 year plan on raising the tuition for 5 consecutive years in order to "improve education." Yeah right, it sure doesn't look like they've been keeping up on improving their education, considering that maybe half of my teachers speak fluent english. But yeah, i could see how coming up here would be beneficial if you're already into the upper level classes because it looks like they have some good engineering professors.

And one of the main reasons i came up here was to get away from my dad for a while, which i think i've spend enough time away from him because he treats me a little different now. And if i start having problems again, i can just move out into an apartment in wichita since i'll start up my part time job again at my bank.

Another big reason that i'm leaving is the terrible food they have in my cafeteria. Sometimes it's alright, but other times it looks downright unsafe. Sometimes i'm VERY suspicious of the chicken. I gain weight much better while at home so yea that will be nice to eat good food again.

Don't get me wrong, i've had some awesome times up here and have met a lot of cool people. I just feel that the benefits of staying up here are outweighed by the benefits of going back home. I've got a scholarship up here, but WSU is also offering me the scholarship they originally offered while i was still in high school so it will be much cheaper with cheaper tuition, no dorms, and that scholarship from WSU.

shredder
11-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Goodluck getting back on track bro, im sure youll do great.

MixmasterNash
11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
You'll do fine no matter what. Two things:
(1) EAT! You're still as skinny as I was in college. :D
(2) Surprisingly, you probably will look back fondly on life in the dorms amongst a bunch of other kidseating the same crappy food and living in tiny ass rooms. Do it while you can!

ChampionLifter8
11-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Nice journal man i just read threw some of it. It looks like your making some good progress with your weight gain and it looks like your getting stronger to. Good luck with college

Also nice job on getting your diet in line man

pzzzzz

cphafner
11-07-2003, 06:52 AM
FFeJ, good luck with the school change. I transferred schools in college, and it was the best decision I even made. What is WSU? Washington State? Workouts look good. Keep it, and your head up.

FFeJ
11-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Sorry for not specifying, it's Wichita State University.

aka23
11-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Good luck with the college change. It is great that you were able to get a scholarship to both schools.

When considering the cost of education, it is important to remember that the degree may effect your career and future incomes. In some cases saving a few thousand dollars can be dwarfed by the effects on future income. For example some of the most expensive schools are also rated as best values by US News & World Report. I believe their most recent top 4 were: Caltech, Harvard, Princeton & Stanford.

I know how you feel about professors not speaking fluent english. It has been my experience that this is more common with teaching aids and assistant professors than with more experienced professors.

FFeJ
11-07-2003, 02:55 PM
I agree that some a degree at a certain college can be more valuable than a degree at a different one, but for now it really doesn't matter. If i decide to stick with engineering i can always go back up here for the last year or two to take classes from the better professors.

On an unrelated note, i've got doms in my chest, tri's, and a little in my bi's. I've also got some doms in my lats. Does anyone else ever experience doms in your lats from dumbell benching?

MixmasterNash
11-07-2003, 04:39 PM
No matter where you end up for college, it's a great idea to go to grad school for a year or two to get a masters. Big boost in salary and much better job chances.

Most grad. schools are not so elitist as the general public and they'll take any good student. The most important things are good recommendations and research experience. It's doesn't matter if it's a small school or whatever.

ryan1117
11-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about school. It seems to be very common no matter where you are. I had to deal with a lot of TAs that could not speak complete sentences in English. They would talk softly to cover up their sub-par English skills. To make matters worse, the school would get all defensive with people complaining about it. They even went as far as playing the race card accusing students of being racist in the school paper. (never mind the fact that you never heard complaining about the many foreign TAs that did not have this problem)

The good news is that things usually get better. (at least they did here) This problem nearly completely disappeared by my second year. They seem to usually put the bad ones in the lower level classes.

FFeJ
11-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 3 for 5 sets, 135 x 10

My depth and form are awesome, my form work has paid off. I'll be increasing weight next session.

seated calf raises - 45 x 10, 70 x 10, 70 x 10, 45 x 15

Not bad, was getting calf cramps so couldn't go all out. Adjusting my feet made it a little easier though.

ab work - 35 crunches, 15 lying throwdowns

weight - 155.3 (!)

Glad this is coming back up, i'm packing in more calories. Even though the food isn't always good i'm trying to just eat it anyway.

ryan1117
11-12-2003, 10:53 AM
Glad this is coming back up, i'm packing in more calories. Even though the food isn't always good i'm trying to just eat it anyway.
That's sort of surprising. When I ate in the dining halls here, I actually liked most of the food. They would have pre-made pizza dough rolled out so you could make your own pizza; they had salad bars, nacho bars, ice cream sundae stations, breadsticks, and donuts. Ahh, now I actually am missing their food. But, I like to have full control of my diet, so I cook my own meals.

FFeJ
11-12-2003, 11:57 AM
They have a decent variety, assuming you make it in time within their eating hours, but sometimes the food does not look very good or safe to eat, especially the chicken on ocassion or some of the other meats. The thing that makes me mad the most is that the two other dining centers are much better than the one i have to go to. They're smaller than this one, so it's probably quantity over quality in my dining center.

Coke
11-12-2003, 02:49 PM
...you may want to get used to things like canned tuna, this that and the other bro - you will find a way!

Keep them workouts on the agenda dude, I know you have a lot on the plate already - :)

FFeJ
11-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Thursday, November 13, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

Skipped back/shoulders because i wanted to lift with my partner today.

dips - bw x 5, +45 x 2, +25 x 9(!)

Not bad dips, haven't done them seriously as of late. Haven't strapped a plate to me in forever, and i think it helped neurally for the 25 lb set. I think it's the most i've done with 25 because the 25 lb set usually comes after my heaviest set.

db bench - 35 x 5, 50 x 11, 42 x 8, 35 x 7

Using better form on dumbells, my shoulder does not click when i concentrate on how i'm doing my presses so i'm guessing bad form, especially on barbell bench, brought about the shoulder problem.

alternating db curls - 32 x 10/10(!)

Not bad, I like staying as strict as possible with my curls.

lying db tricep extensions - 15's x 10, 15's x 9

Kind of experimenting with these, does anyone else do them? I've been doing them with the dumbells parallel to the bench and bending to the sides of my head.

weight - 155.5(!)

My diet wasn't as much as i had hoped but the increase in calories is still giving results.

aka23
11-14-2003, 12:01 AM
lying db tricep extensions - 15's x 10, 15's x 9

Kind of experimenting with these, does anyone else do them?

I alternate between lying DB triceps extensions and DB skullcrusers on my push days. I enjoy this exercise. They feel like they stress my triceps more than any other DB exercise I have tried. I find it easier to focus and maintain balance when doing them one arm at a time.

FFeJ
11-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Friday, November 14, 2003 - deads

Did some deads last night and some miscellaneous exercises because i was with a different workout partner. Worked up to 275 x 3, 3 sets. I'll increase weight next time.

FFeJ
11-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - legs

warmed up with some power cleans with 45 and 95 lbs.

squats - 45 x 10, 45 x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 195 6 x 3 (!), 135 x 10

I upped the weight by 10 lbs today. I like the triples that i've been doing lately. It allows me to use a decently heavy weight and not sacrifice form in the later reps of the set. I had enough energy that i went ahead and did a sixth set.

calf raises in power rack - 135 x 10, 135 x 15

50 bodyweight calf raises

This was a short little workout because i did it in the dorm weight room while doing my laundry. The squats felt good though. Also, i've been trying to incorporate a little more warm up in between my workouts to get my muscles loose and warmed up, especially during the cold weather.

Might do chest and triceps later tonight with a friend after calculus test.

ryan1117
11-18-2003, 11:42 AM
The last full week before Thanksgiving seems to be National Exam Week. I have 3 this week.

FFeJ
11-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Yeah, once all of the exams are over i can relax for Thanksgiving. I've only got two this week, but I have another one next Monday right before Thanksgiving break.

FFeJ
11-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Thursday, November 20, 2003 - chest/tri/bi

[B]dumbell bench - 30 x 10, 30 x 10, 60 x 6(!), 60 x 4, 45 x 6, 45 x 6

Went up to the 60's this week, figured it was about time.

dips - +25 x 4, +25 x 5, +25 x 5, bw x 5

Started in a bad position with my hands on first set, which is why i didn't get 5 reps. Will add weight next week.

incline smith bench - 45 per side x 4, 25 per side x 10, 25 per side x 6

Was pretty dead after dips, and i've never done this exercise before so i had to make some adjustments while i was doing the first set. I predict this to go up fairly quickly.

ez bar curl - 70 x 8 (!)

Not sure if it was a PR or not, but since they felt really good and i think i'll be going up in weight next week so i'll give them the bold.

abs - lying leg raises x 30 (!)

These felt really good, surprised to get 30 reps of them. On these, i lie flat on my back and hold my partners ankles because he is up by my head and i bring my legs straight up, keeping them straight, and he pushes them down and i stop them just before hitting the ground to keep tension on them. They were called "throw downs" in my weights class in highschool.

weight - 155.3

Not bad for how my diet's been. It's been a test filled week so it hasn't been as calorie filled as i would have liked.

Coke
11-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Good work bro!

...like the increase on the db bench - those ez bar curls were not shabby either - :thumbup:

FFeJ
11-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Saturday, November 22, 2003 - rest

Going to watch the KSU game today at a friend's dorm.

I saw Gothika last night with Halle Barry. It was pretty good, and i'm sure it's a good movie to take a girl to because it has a lot of "jumpy" moments.

KingJustin
11-22-2003, 06:36 PM
You're making good progress, JJ. Keep it up and good luck!

FFeJ
11-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Cocoa and Bizatch: Thanks :)

FFeJ
11-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - chest/tri

couple warm up laps around track

db bench - 30 x 10, 30 x 6, 45 x 5, 60 x 8 (!), 60 x 4, 45 x 7, 45 x 6

Pleased with PR here, it's up 2 reps from last week. Tried for 9th rep, but didn't have enough juice.

dips - 25 x 5, 25 x 5, 25 x 5

Got my goal of my 3 sets of 5. Will up to 30 next week.

smith machine incline - 45 x 7 (!), 35 x 9, 35 x 6

Number indicates weight per side.

alternating db curls - 35 x 8/8, 35 x 4/4

abs - throwdowns x 31
weight - around 155

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

FFeJ
12-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2003 - power cleans/squats

Since it's teh mad flu season, i've just gotten over a little sickness and decided to hit up the gym. I wanted to get into some power cleans because i had just gotten done watching a bunch of ironmind and olympic video clips that blitzforce posted on another forum.

power cleans - 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 135 x 2, 140 x 1, 145 x 1, 150 x 1, 155 x 1 (!)

I do believe this is a new PR, i think highest i got was 145 maybe in highschool.

squats - 45 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 2, 225 x 1, 185 x 5, 135 x 8

Didn't go for my triples because i knew my performance wouldn't be 100% due to sickness, which also makes me think my power cleans will go up fairly fast because i had just come off of illness and i set a new PR already.

standing calf raises - bw x 50, bw+60 lb db's x 20

ryan1117
12-11-2003, 06:24 PM
It seems like everyone has had the flu in the last month. It's good to see you are over it. I got your IM the other night, but I was asleep. I'm too lazy a lot of times to put up my away message.

FFeJ
12-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Saturday, December 13, 2003 - chest/tri

db bench - 32 x 8, 32 x 6, 50 x 3, 65 x 8(!), 65 x 4, 55 x 10

dips - +25 x 5, +25 x 5, +25 x 5

smith incline - 45 x 8, 35 x 8, 25 x 10

Weight indicates weight per side

power clean - 115 x 3, 125 x 2, 135 x 1, 145 x 1, 155 x 1, 135 x 3

Ryan1117: Yeah, i was going to ask you a question about getting the dumbells in position because i'm going up in weight rather quickly. What method do you use when getting them up? One time while trying to kick the 65's up i almost hurt my right shoulder. I did a little better this time at getting them up. What i've been doing lately is pulling myself backwards while kicking up one leg after the other.

ryan1117
12-13-2003, 11:02 AM
I usually just use both hands to pick up the first DB while seated. (since both are free) I usually pick up the 2nd one with my right arm while resting the other on my thigh. (assuming you are right handed) I usually then sort of hammer curl the other one up to my leg.

Of coruse, everyone always asks how you can hammer curl your DB Bench weight. It actually isn't too hard when you incorporate momentum into it. It is more of a hammer curl that I fling up. I feel it is the easiest way. Others don't seem to agree. However, I have never needed any help getting the DBs into position. Plus, I've been as high as the 110s before there without any trouble.

FFeJ
12-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm sorry for not specifying, but i was talking more specifically after the dumbells are on your legs. I can get the dumbells on my legs pretty easy (i deadlift the dumbells and set them on my legs as i sit down). The problem i was having was kicking them up. I've seen a lot of methods and I guess it just takes a little practice.

FFeJ
12-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - back

power cleans - 45 x 5, 115 x 3, 125 x 1, 135 x 1, 145 x 1, 160 x 1 (!)

Felt good today, my technique is getting better and i'm able to move more weight.

smith machine shrugs - 1 pps x 5, 2 pps x 5, drop set(3 pps x 10, 2 pps x 20, 1 pps x 30)

dumbell row - 45 x 10/10, 35 x 10/10

3 laps around track

FFeJ
12-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm finally moved back home in Wichita. It feels good to be home, I'll be hitting up the gym tomorrow and going to try and keep my diet and training in check, especially because i've got a month without school.

FFeJ
04-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Monday, Apr. 5, 2004 - chest/tri's

Hey all, I've been away from this journal for a while, going to make an attempt to keep it up again. I've got a new girlfriend, been going out for almost 3 months so the eating and training has suffered a little bit. Workouts are still going good, I seem to be getting stronger lately.

dumbell bench - 30 x 8, 40 x 5, 50 x 3, 60 x 2, 75 x 3(!), 60 x 7

This has been going well lately, first attempt with the 75's. Confident I will be up to the 80's shortly.

weighted dips - +25 x 5, 3 sets

Haven't done these much lately, been doing unweighted mostly. Felt strong. Not sure if I'll get back into weighted dips though because sometimes they seem to aggravate my shoulders after doing them for a while.

Tricep pushdowns with rope - 8 bars x 10, 9 bars x 10, 10 bars x 3

Triceps gone.

Alternating DB curls - 45 x 4/4, 35 x 8/8

Felt good.

Weight - Low 150's

FFeJ
04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 135 x 3, 185 x 1, 235 x 2 (didn't have weight centered on me i think i had at least one more), 185 x 10

smith calf raises - 3 pps x 20, 2 pps x 20, 2 pps x 20

couple laps around track with gf

weight - 150

I'm skinny I need to eat more! Well it's not all bad because im looking fine and i'm getting stronger, if I can eat too i'll grow twice as fast, but such is life.

FFeJ
04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Sunday, Apr. 18, 2004 - legs

squats - 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 2, 225 x 3, 185 x 10

smith calf raises - 3 pps x 10, 3 pps x 10, 2 pps x 20

laps on track

weight - 152

Calorie intake is getting a little better