PDA

View Full Version : Hook grip

JuniorMint6669
08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Does anyone here use hook grip for deads? Or is everyone mixed grip? I wonder if it would be worth going through the pain of getting used to hook grip, what do you guys think?

unshift
08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
i used hook/regular grip once to do max and my wrists hurt for a couple days afterwards. i'm using mixed now, it feels uncomfortable and the weight slips a bit, but no more pain

i'd say to use whatever you're most comfortable with, though you can probably hold more with mixed

Alex.V
08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Kinda answered this in the other thread... but the main idea behind a hook grip is that it is slightly more stable (for some) than regular, especially when hand strength is the weak link, and the advantage of it is that it still allows a dual overhand position... you can't snatch with a mixed grip, can you? But the mixed grip is almost always stronger, and any physician will tell you that the hook grip is not the healthiest thing for your thumbs.

Scott S
08-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Question: the hook grip isn't any different than dual-overhand grip, right? Or is it the thumbless version?

Alex.V
08-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Thumbs wrapped around the bar (under it), and then you wrap your fingers over your thumb. If done right, it hurts like hell the first few times. lol.

Blitzforce
08-21-2003, 03:09 AM
On the other hand, olylifters hookgrip more weights than I can deadlift :)

and some powerlifters hookgrip more weight than olylifters :D

Scott S
08-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Hmm... in that case, I don't even think my hands are big enough to do that... :cry:

So I guess I'll stick with regular grip.

Blitzforce
08-21-2003, 07:18 PM
your hands are big enough

http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/HOOK.htm

just have to get used to it.
I've used it up to 275lbs so far, and I don't really notice it in my thumbs anymore, I'm slowly working my way up.

Scott S
08-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Oh. I guess they are. Maybe I'll try it next time I deadlift. My thumbs are only like 2" long, so this'll be interesting.

Delphi
09-05-2003, 07:04 PM
With a mixed grip which hand is supinated, your dominant or nondominant? What's the risk of a biceps tear on that side?

JuniorMint6669
09-05-2003, 09:18 PM
It's whatever feels more comfortable. I can use either quite comfortably. The risk of bicep tear depends on if you try to curl the weight up. If you dont, I couldnt imagine it happening if you keep your arms relaxed, as I've never felt anything in my biceps while using mixed grip.