PDA

View Full Version : white rice vs brown rice

vnj
08-18-2003, 02:53 PM
alright guys, i need some help with my dieting. i am on a rather low glycemic diet and i've always seem recommendations for brown rice over white but today i checked the glycemic index for both and there isnt a really significant difference. white rice seems to be pretty low glycemic as well.
Rice, white.............................. 58
Rice, brown............................. 55
so why do people prescribe brown over white?

can someone also tell me how they measure there food(before or after cooking)? i also feel like im getting a lot of misinformation regarding protein content in the meats that i eat. for example, in different editions of FLEX, they stated that 6 oz of cooked chicken breast is =52g protein. then in another they say 8oz of chicken (not stated cooked or uncooked)=48. this might depend on if its cooked or not. so when reading labels for our meats are we supposed to go by raw or cooked? thanks a lot for the help.

vnj
08-18-2003, 02:59 PM
http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/diseases/glycaemic-table.htm

in fact, according to this site they listed white long grain rice to be low blycemic whereas brown rice is listed under the medium category.

SoulOfKoRea
08-18-2003, 04:39 PM
brown rice = more nutrients, not processed/refined like white rice, more fiber, tastier!

bradley
08-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by vnj
can someone also tell me how they measure there food(before or after cooking)? i also feel like im getting a lot of misinformation regarding protein content in the meats that i eat. for example, in different editions of FLEX, they stated that 6 oz of cooked chicken breast is =52g protein. then in another they say 8oz of chicken (not stated cooked or uncooked)=48. this might depend on if its cooked or not. so when reading labels for our meats are we supposed to go by raw or cooked? thanks a lot for the help.

In general weigh your food before cooking, especially in regards to meat.

Some nutrition labels on things such as rice, popcorn, etc. will give you a cooked measurement as well as uncooked measurements.

This site should help you determine the calorie/macronutrient content of most foods.:)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Ti1301
08-18-2003, 06:50 PM
frag the brown rice.
tastes like crap and too much work to chew.
It's all about white rice.
The nutritional diff between white and brown rice ain't all that important anyways.
Just eat other foods.

hemants
08-19-2003, 06:45 AM
The type of rice is more important than white or brown.

Stick with long grain (Basmati) rice instead of instant or parbroiled.

Of course all else being equal brown is better than white.

Trent_Steel
08-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Well having just finished off a bowl of brown rice I reckon Ive done a whole cardio session just chewing the stuff. Well as long as its healthy thats all that counts I guess.

chetchat
08-21-2003, 06:04 PM
I've been mixing brown with the long grain/wild rice mixes, like Uncle Ben's or Mahatma. Sure makes it tastier.

SquareHead
08-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Ya Basmati like hemants mentioned is realy good. Plus it smells like popcorn. Umm...