PDA

View Full Version : Got a few Questions..

defcon
08-19-2003, 08:14 AM
hey everybody! let me start off by saing im 19, 5'9, 145 lbs and bulking cleanly, ( im skinny fat because of a huge WEIGHT loss + muscle loss because of stupid stvation diets ect ) well anyway..

Question 1: When i Eat a huge bowl of oatmeal ( 2.5 cups dry measurment ) i get really tired, i normall y dont eat this much at one sitting, usually its only a cup for 4-5 meals a day, but ive experimented with myself a little bit, and found that i get this extremely weak/tired/;lazy feeling after. Then if i lie down for 30 mins to an hour, when i get up i am able to run a freakin marathon or sumthing, i''m bursting with energy. Anyone got explanations to this? sumthing to do with insulin i am assuming.. but im a newbie with not much ideas regarding medical things.

Question 2: Im bulking now as previously stated, and i've added 5 lbs on the scale over the last 7-8 weeks and it actually looks like i can see better defanition in my muscles in some areas so im extremely pleased with my clean bulk so far, ive only been training for 5 months or so and the first 2.5 months was a cut diet kinda thing then maintain, so this is my first bulk and i attribute sum of my succes to "newbie gains".. Well anyway, my question is howcome some of my lifts ( bicep curls and milatary press) only increased 10-15 lbs in the last 8 weeks, but my squat is up 50lbs, deadlift is up nearly 60lbs, and my bench is up 40lbs.. anyone got ideas surrounding this question? thanx again everyone.

bradley
08-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by defcon
Question 1: When i Eat a huge bowl of oatmeal ( 2.5 cups dry measurment ) i get really tired, i normall y dont eat this much at one sitting, usually its only a cup for 4-5 meals a day, but ive experimented with myself a little bit, and found that i get this extremely weak/tired/;lazy feeling after. Then if i lie down for 30 mins to an hour, when i get up i am able to run a freakin marathon or sumthing, i''m bursting with energy. Anyone got explanations to this?

I would think that this would be associated with the relationship between insulin and the serotonin release in the brain. When you ingest a large carbohydrate meal you will increase the amount of tryptophan (amino acid utilized in serotonin production)
that makes it to the brain. This could be the cause of the lethargy after the large carbohydrate meal.

The studies below are somewhat related to the topic at hand.:)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8697046&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?holding=npg&cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9807640&dopt=Abstract

Question 2: Im bulking now as previously stated, and i've added 5 lbs on the scale over the last 7-8 weeks and it actually looks like i can see better defanition in my muscles in some areas so im extremely pleased with my clean bulk so far, ive only been training for 5 months or so and the first 2.5 months was a cut diet kinda thing then maintain, so this is my first bulk and i attribute sum of my succes to "newbie gains".. Well anyway, my question is howcome some of my lifts ( bicep curls and milatary press) only increased 10-15 lbs in the last 8 weeks, but my squat is up 50lbs, deadlift is up nearly 60lbs, and my bench is up 40lbs.. anyone got ideas surrounding this question? thanx again everyone.

I would suspect that this is due to the fact that squats and deadlifts use more muscles and larger muscles (compound movements) so it stands to reason that the weight you are using would increase more rapidly than say a small muscle group such as biceps.

rgkfit
08-19-2003, 11:01 AM
As to question 1, I may suggest lightening up a bit on the oatmeal. It is a great source of carbs, good soluble fiber and sustained enregy, but 2 1/2 cups dry? Why not cut that back to 1 cup, have 5 eggwhites and 1 whole egg, and maybe some cottage cheese or some lean meat? Then eat your next meal as scheduled. Bradley is probably right with his assumption of your porblem.

As for question 2, compound exercises like squats and deads will always result in bigger, faster strength gains due to the muscles involved. Bicep curls and isolation type stuff are just that. The bicep is not really a very strong muscle, compare them to the quads. Huge difference in size and mass.

defcon
08-19-2003, 11:04 AM
thanx brad, great info there for the first question, it makes perfect sence :) and i was kinda right with my line of thinking.. but i didn;t know how to say it scientifically or know what the hell half of those fancy words were :) and with regard to Question 2, that makes sence i guess, i would expect compound moves to increase way more then bicep curls ect, but i thought that my case was weird in the % of weight difference.. is that the average? or am i lacking a bit of progress on biceps and shoulders.

The day job i have ( 40 hrs a week ) consiste of a lot of lifting 50-60 lb weight using bicep and shoulder muscles, would this cause the biceps and shoulders to not be fully recovered when it comes time to work them again? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

defcon
08-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rgkfit
As to question 1, I may suggest lightening up a bit on the oatmeal. It is a great source of carbs, good soluble fiber and sustained enregy, but 2 1/2 cups dry? Why not cut that back to 1 cup, have 5 eggwhites and 1 whole egg, and maybe some cottage cheese or some lean meat? Then eat your next meal as scheduled. Bradley is probably right with his assumption of your porblem.

As for question 2, compound exercises like squats and deads will always result in bigger, faster strength gains due to the muscles involved. Bicep curls and isolation type stuff are just that. The bicep is not really a very strong muscle, compare them to the quads. Huge difference in size and mass.

Read the first line in my question one again rgkfit, thanx for the input tho :) thas 2 practically same answers for question #2 so i guess i will accept it :)

bradley
08-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by defcon
and with regard to Question 2, that makes sence i guess, i would expect compound moves to increase way more then bicep curls ect, but i thought that my case was weird in the % of weight difference.. is that the average? or am i lacking a bit of progress on biceps and shoulders.

You are progressing which is the main thing, but you might play around with the variables (frequency, volume, etc.) and see if you progress faster. Not everyone progresses at the same rate, and you will see different rates of progression with different bodyparts. I don't think you have anything to worry about.:)

The day job i have ( 40 hrs a week ) consiste of a lot of lifting 50-60 lb weight using bicep and shoulder muscles, would this cause the biceps and shoulders to not be fully recovered when it comes time to work them again? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

That could very well be, and since this is the case you might think about cutting down the volume and/or frequency in regards to bicep and delt training.

The deltoids are involved to some degree with most upper body exercises, and along with your work you could be overtraining the delts to some degree.