PDA

View Full Version : role of saliva

CoASH
08-20-2003, 12:21 AM
hi all,

to what extent do you think saliva helps to digest the foods we eat? if it plays a big part, do more delicious/mouth-watering foods digest easier?

JuniorMint6669
08-20-2003, 12:37 AM
There are enzymes in saliva that help break down food. I remember an example my bio teacher gave back in highschool. We all stuck a saltine cracker in our mouth and let it sit. Then it disolved in our mouth. But anyways, you probably already knew that... good question though. I have no idea to what extent. If it helped a lot, it would be cool to... look at mouth watering pictures and then eat my bland food.

Then again, im pretty sure my food digests just fine the way it is. Just curious, why do you ask?

Maccer101
08-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Saliva's main role is to lubricate the food so it is easy to swallow, around half the population's saliva contains Amylase the enzyme that breaks down starch but this is by no means a major part in the digestion of food, more like a headstart.

CoASH
08-20-2003, 01:46 AM
mint.
well...it'd make sense that if you can digest more of the food, less will get wasted when you do a no. 2

just wanted to know because most of the bb grub i eat isn't very appetizing, so..yea

JuniorMint6669
08-20-2003, 02:14 AM
oh i totally understood what you meant, and i agree. what i meant is, as far as i know, my food gets as fully digested as its gonna get, whether or not i have a few tbsp of extra saliva in my mouth ;)

oh, and welcome to the boards! :D

bradley
08-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by CoASH
to what extent do you think saliva helps to digest the foods we eat?

Saliva contains enzymes that aid in the digestion of carbohydrates and lipids and also provides moisture to the food that you are eating, which in turn will make it easier to swallow. Just think how hard it is to swallow a mouthful of crackers,;)

if it plays a big part, do more delicious/mouth-watering foods digest easier?

Your body will digest pretty much water you put into it, so I don't really think easier would be a good description, maybe faster.

bradley
08-20-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
oh i totally understood what you meant, and i agree. what i meant is, as far as i know, my food gets as fully digested as its gonna get, whether or not i have a few tbsp of extra saliva in my mouth ;)

I agree, your food will get digested regardless of how well you chew it up. There will be less work further down the road, if you chew your food properly.