PDA

View Full Version : low fat/fat free question???

mikey4402
08-20-2003, 09:44 AM
i was watching the view today,(dont aske me why). and suzanna somers was saying that people shouldnt eat low fat and fat free foods, becouse the replace all the fat they take out with sugers and starches. is she right about this?, should i just eat regular foods? or is she making a big deal out of nothing

Stephen Riddington
08-20-2003, 10:30 AM
You watch the View????

*points at mikey and snickers*:D

then it's safe that you enjoy your soap operas :p

Stephen Riddington
08-20-2003, 10:32 AM
In all seriousness, it's probably true since the sugar helps replace the taste the fats contribute to.

AllUp
08-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Damn homie.. THE VIEW? :P
j/k man, on a serious note though I heard you're better off with light opposed to Fatfree when it comes to icecream. Heard fatfree ha mad sugah in it to mask the horrible taste it has. Probably right too if you think about it, I think stuff can be 'Fat-Free' yet still have transfats if the above is true. Just what I heard.

Peece Outti :D

-AllUp

mikey4402
08-20-2003, 11:00 AM
*runs from the bullies and cry himself to sleep :cry:

Stryc-9
08-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh, it's true. It's true.

Although if you consider something that is low fat by nature (e.g., a skinless chicken breast) - then that's still okay to eat....

But yes, if you come across foods that are typically high fat (e.g., snackfoods, etc.,) but have a label claim of being low fat or reduced fat, then the sugar has likely been bumped up. You'll find this happens with some of the reduced-fat peanut butter brands. They just jack up the amount of sugar...so fat gets reduced but calories tend to stay the same.

Now stop watching the View. tuttut

SoulOfKoRea
08-20-2003, 02:00 PM
completely true(for the most part), and they might add artificial sweeteners and whatnot...

mikey4402
08-20-2003, 09:15 PM
so for example i get fat free yogert, would it be better for me to buy regular yogert to cut out the extra suger. or not worry about it?

bradley
08-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by mikey4402
so for example i get fat free yogert, would it be better for me to buy regular yogert to cut out the extra suger. or not worry about it?

Nonfat would be better, as comparing full fat yogurt to nonfat yogurt would be like comparing whole milk to skim milk.

In general, when foods that usually contain fat are converted to low fat or fat free, something has been added (sugar, artificial sweetners, etc.) to compensate for the fat that was removed. The best thing would be to look at the nutrition information and determine which version of that food best suits your goal.

mikey4402
08-21-2003, 09:13 AM
alright thats guys

dirty-c
08-21-2003, 10:06 AM
"low fat" and "fat free", in the case where the fat has been replaced by sugar, are nothing more than marketing gimmics. Sometimes its easy to forget that joe public knows NOTHING about nutrition. I try to educate laymen when I can, but its can be difficult dealing with indifference and ignorance.

Moose
08-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Next time you go shopping just grab a "no fat", "low fat", and "regular" version of yogurt, cottage cheese, etc..........compare the labels.......you'll see what we're talking about...........

theomen
08-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Well the fat free Yogurt is around 90 cals, while regular is about 240, with the same protein. If your worried about weight, just watch your cals. Fat isn't bad, but concidering that a G of fat is 9 cals and a G of carb is 4 cals, the fat can add up quickly.

As for the ice cream, I eat Dryers Fat Free Ice Cream and it's about 80 calories per serving with 4 grams of protien. It uses splenda as it's sweetner so you don't have sky rocketing carb counts.

CoASH
08-22-2003, 03:22 AM
a calorie is not a calorie!

bradley
08-22-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by CoASH
a calorie is not a calorie!

Please explain this statement.:)

dirty-c
08-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by theomen
Well the fat free Yogurt is around 90 cals, while regular is about 240, with the same protein.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that yogurt is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Fat free yogurt usually has a lot less sugar also. I also look forward to trying that Dryer's fat free ice cream, how is it?

CoASH
08-27-2003, 02:50 AM
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm
nice website this one :)

bradley
08-27-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by CoASH
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm
nice website this one :)

A lot of Berardi's theories, especially those concerning food combining, have been disproved by Lyle McDonald on various boards.

mikey4402
08-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that yogurt is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Fat free yogurt usually has a lot less sugar also. I also look forward to trying that Dryer's fat free ice cream, how is it?

i tihnk he ment Bryers fat free ice cream, didnt want you to go looking for the wrong thing.

Scott S
08-27-2003, 12:26 PM
C'mon, at least make up some story that you walked by your girlfriend watching "The View" -- or anything! :D

Anyways, I love how people like Suzanne Somers are always on the forefront of fitness information. I wonder how her Thighmasters are selling these days. :rolleyes:

dirty-c
08-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by bradley
A lot of Berardi's theories, especially those concerning food combining, have been disproved by Lyle McDonald on various boards.

Can you think of a theory of his that is wrong? If you can't think of one offhand, dont worry about it, but I've read parts 1 & 2 of his "lean eatin" article, and it seems pretty sound to me.

I will agree that people who put too much emphasis on the whole "thermic quality of combining foods" are probably missing the more important point that TOTAL calorie consumption is the MOST important thing, but I do agree that it matters to some extent. Is it as great of an extent as Dr.Atkins suggests in his "metabolic advantage" theory? No, probably not.

bradley
08-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c

Can you think of a theory of his that is wrong? If you can't think of one offhand, dont worry about it, but I've read parts 1 & 2 of his "lean eatin" article, and it seems pretty sound to me.

Yes, the main one being not to consume fat and carbs in the same meal. I posted a few older threads on the topic if you want to check them out. I am not saying that all of Berardi's theories are incorrect, and this is the main one I was referring to.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32788&highlight=Berardi
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30448&highlight=Berardi

I will agree that people who put too much emphasis on the whole "thermic quality of combining foods" are probably missing the more important point that TOTAL calorie consumption is the MOST important thing, but I do agree that it matters to some extent. Is it as great of an extent as Dr.Atkins suggests in his "metabolic advantage" theory? No, probably not.

Agreed