PDA

View Full Version : Body-for-LIFE .. Pros, Cons? Dos, Donts?

ennui
08-20-2003, 04:23 PM

Frankster
08-20-2003, 04:51 PM
I think it's a good prgram to start on, since it's pretty much all planned out for you, it's easier to follow and teaches you descipline.

Frankster
08-20-2003, 04:52 PM
If you're already have been lifting for a while, I don't think the program is all that good, but that's just me.

rgkfit
08-20-2003, 07:09 PM
If you are looking down the road for maybe a future competition, this is a good starting point. You will learn if you have what it takes to follow through a fairly tough diet and exercise protocol. My wife did this with fantastic results. In fact, she was featured on femalemuscle site she did so well. It is a good program to acclimate to. I did this same thing the first time, and proved to myself I could handle the diet. I have been competing now for some time.

harryhoudini66
08-20-2003, 08:04 PM
The support is real cool too. I always got e-mail reminders and pep talks.

harryhoudini66
08-21-2003, 06:14 PM
They are possible but more so for someone who has never worked out before. Also, please set realistic goals that way you won’t quite if you only reach some of them by your 8th week.

steveo
08-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I did it once and it was awesome great motivation and they offer you an 1-800 number that you can call anytime for support and help with anything.

dirty-c
08-22-2003, 09:02 AM
I think the most important point to make here is that its GREAT if you're NEW to weight training, but if are an experienced traininer, surely you can get better results with a different plan.

The beautfy of BFL is that it doesnt talk about all the micromanagement topics of training and nutrition that we routinely discuss here. It allows people to start on a simple and effective plan, with very little learning curve.

Can you achieve unbelievable results in just 13 weeks? Everybody's definition of unbelieveable is different, but I will say this; if you've always practiced pretty bad nutrition and never worked out and you have good genetic potential, then radically changing to great nutrition and training will produce incredible results.

If you want to talk about incredible feats, watch the "Body of Work" video, if you can get your hands on it. Its atleast 5yrs old, so it might be hard to find. Plus, I'm sure EAS has put out numerous videos since then that they try to plug, so you probably wouldnt get any help from them.

Whatever you decide, welcome to WBB and dont be afraid to ask questions. You'll find more knowledgeable people here than the majority of personal trainers I know.

steveo
08-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c

If you want to talk about incredible feats, watch the "Body of Work" video, if you can get your hands on it. Its atleast 5yrs old, so it might be hard to find. Plus, I'm sure EAS has put out numerous videos since then that they try to plug, so you probably wouldnt get any help from them.

Ditto on that. The video is a great source motivation. I have it myself. I have the very first one which is the best, because of Bill Philips, he is a great motivational speaker.

ace dogg
08-22-2003, 01:03 PM
yeah i've always liked this program. tis great for a beginner. eventually you'll learn to costumize your workouts and diets to suit yourself, but in the beggining, its very good to follow.

-TIM-
08-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c
I think the most important point to make here is that its GREAT if you're NEW to weight training, but if are an experienced traininer, surely you can get better results with a different plan.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. I've got a friend who's in his late 20's and during his early 20's he was a trainer for a number of years. He had an amazing body and a very good knowledge of nutrition and the mechanics of training in the gym. In the last few years he's stopped lifting and put on a quite a bit of weight. He's very knowledgable and I turn to him regularly for advice. And yet he's using the Body For Life program to get back into shape/lifting. He's doing everything to the "T" and within the first few weeks I could tell major differences in his appearance. He's about 6 or 7 weeks in and he looks great. He's expressed his opinions about the program and his overall feeling is that it's good for anybody who wants to get anywhere with lifting. Yes there are better programs for people. It's not like this is the magical routine that whips anybody into the best shape of their life :D but even an experienced person can reap amazing results. I think for some who are experienced it comes down to having a new, great routine they can try and at the same time it gives their body something new. And we all need change.

mantis
08-23-2003, 02:13 AM
A question on the Body for Life program...

How about the morning cardio session on empty stomach outilined in the program? Most of the opinions that I found on the web suggest this is a bad idea as it may lead to muscle loss.

For those of you who are on the program, have you experinece any huge amount of muscle loss?