PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out

nina
08-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Hello all,
I have been reading this board for a while and I finaly decided to register. I need your help in fatloss.

My stats:
Age - 28 years
Height - 6'0"
Weight - 166 lbs
Body Fat - aprroximately 21

I used to workout regulary and I was in a very good shape. But my life took a wrong turn and I stopped going to gym followed by over-eating...since June. I gained a lot since then. Well, I started going to gym again. Its been 2 weeks and I have only lost 4 pounds. I dont eat more than 1000 calories a day. Most of my calories come from protein (150 gms a day) and fats (nuts, flax seed). I dont eat carbs at all. To my surprise I gained a pound in the last 2 days. I am all confused. I dont lift at all. I do intense cardio daily....somedays I run 7-8 miles nonstop. But I am not seeing any results.

I have a few questions for you:
1. Am I doing anything wrong?
2. What exercise regimen do you recommend for quick fat loss?
3. I want to lose 5 pounds a week. Is it a realistic goal?
4. Is my diet correct or need some amendments?
5. What is a good fatloss product you recommend?
6. I dont lift at all because I dont want to gain muscles. I only do cardio. Am I doing the right thing?
7. Am I eating too much protein?

Any help wil be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Nina

Alex.V
08-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Well, let me get some of the most glaring things.. though somebody else might nail them by the time I'm done.

1) You're not eating enough. Eat too little, and (to make a long story short) you wreck your metabolism. Take a more careful look at your body's energy needs, and deduct from that what you need to lose weight steadily. 2 pounds a week is good, much more than that and you're shedding far too much lean body mass. Not good. You want to lose fat. 5 pounds a week, and you'll end up feeling equally out of shape.. just a little smaller. Picture your current proportions (which I assume you're unhappy with), only slightly reduced, not necessarily shaped the way you want.

Get some carbs in there... Actually, write out exactly what you eat, along with rough portion sizes (ounces of meat, size of the handful of nuts, etc.) so people can help you with specifics. Always better to modify your existing diet than throw it out and start eating completely differently.

Run a bit less, lift a little more. If you're dieting, you can't put on significant muscle as a female. Period. If you're not eating more calories than you're burning, your body will only add (or hold on to) the bare minimum of muscle needed to respond to the demands you're putting on it. You might not even notice a difference, but unless you lift a little (that includes doing leg work, running won't do that), you'll end up, as I said before, as just a smaller version of yourself, not necessarily shaped the way you want to be.

Basically, what you want to do is back off the extremes.. the huge amount of running, ultra-low calories, and complete lack of carbs are basically putting your body into a type of systemic shock... it's in emergency mode, and you won't be happy with the results when your body's directive becomes "survival at all costs".

How's that for a start?

Alex.V
08-20-2003, 11:16 PM
By the way, you'll notice I started with a 1), as if I were going to number my points. I changed my mind.

I'm allowed to do that.

Paul Stagg
08-21-2003, 08:45 AM
It's in the rulebook.

Which isn't numbered.

Excellent advice.

1. Am I doing anything wrong?

** Yes. You run too much and don't eat enough. Cut the running back to 3 days a week at most, and start lifting. Your caloric needs are probably between 1600 and 1900 or so. I would start around maybe 1800 a day, and adjust from there. I'd also suggest a bit more balance to your diet - make sure you are getting your vitamins and minerals and such.

2. What exercise regimen do you recommend for quick fat loss?

** dieting.

3. I want to lose 5 pounds a week. Is it a realistic goal?

** I'd drop it to 1-2. Slow and steady is good.

4. Is my diet correct or need some amendments?

** Dunno - we don't know everything you eat.

5. What is a good fatloss product you recommend?

** diet. ECA is the only thing I suggest, but not to everyone. Get your diet and training in order first, then weight the cost/benefit/risk of using ECA.

6. I dont lift at all because I dont want to gain muscles. I only do cardio. Am I doing the right thing?

** No. Girls don't get all big and bulky overnight - most don't get all big and bulky at all. You aren't designed to.

7. Am I eating too much protein?

** I doubt it.

Alex.V
08-24-2003, 03:38 PM
See, now, I actually act all helpful and constructive and sh*t, and you don't reply.

Now, this is nothing against you at all, it just means that my effort at actually being a contributing member has failed.

So I guess I'll go back to being a pain in everyone's ass.

carolinagirl
08-24-2003, 09:50 PM
I think she gagged on all the charm. Probably choked to death.

Just can't help yourself, can you? ;)