PDA

View Full Version : Ich pump ze Iron yah!

Maccer101
08-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Hello,

I have been training for 3.5 years, but would only count the last 1.5 years as “proper training” as this is how long I have been regularly going to a Gym to train. I am a natural trainer. Up until this month I have done split training, but at the moment I am doing a full-body routine 3 times per week following HST principles. I am in the middle of 10 rep training and my current workout is as follows:-

Flat Bench x 2
Incline Bench x 1
Chins x 1
Barbell Rows x 2
Military Press x 1 (will do Push presses on 5 rep training)
Lateral Raises x 1
Squats x 2
Leg Curls x 1
Calf Raises x 1
Dumbell Skullcrushers x 2
Barbell Curls x 2

Train on Monday, Wednesday & Saturday

15-20 HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week (rowing machine)

My normal weekday diet is as follows

Tuna & Cous Cous (80 grams protein, 100 grams Carbs) split into 3 meals, Breakfast, lunch and Preworkout.

Meat/Cheese Rolls (15 grams Protein, 25g Carbs each) eaten at 11am & 3pm

Postworkout shake (30 grams protein & 30g carbs)

Foil Baked chicken breasts with rice & veg (50g protein, 110g carbs) eaten as 2 meals with a 1 hour interval to avoid bloating

Swig ofl flaxseed

Pickled eggs, 3-4 whites 2 yolks

1 pint milk (semi-skimmed)

Currently I am dieting so no Sandwiches and a little less rice for dinner, I let the grams of fat sort themselves out, also I tend to put fat on very easily so have to monitor my carb intake carefully.

I like the change of doing the full body workouts but only training 3 times a week instead of 4 seems strange. After finishing my HST program I am thinking of making the following changes.

Instead of a 2 week cycle (6 sessions) slowly building up the weight each workout, I plan do only do a 1 week cycle (3 training sessions) as the 1st week seems to easy, to try and compensate for the reduced cycle time I plan to do a week of 12 reps then 10 reps, 8 reps and finally 6 reps and after the 4 weeks I will repeat again and then take a week off.

I always trained to failure, and incorporated a lot of dropsetting into my workouts, I am now realising that this was probably counterproductive so will almost reach failure once a week when using my revised schedule.

My goals are to get as big as I can naturally and to be strong. My current stats are:-

Age 28
Height 6 foot ˝ inch
Neck 17 inch
Chest 46 (50 expanded)
Arms 16 (too small)
Waist 37 (too big)
Thighs 25.5 (top)
Thighs 18 (bottom)
Calves 13 ( I have club feet so have very poor lower legs)
Weight 212 Lbs at 16-19% bf

I would like 3 more inches on my chest, at least 1 more inch on my arms, 4 less on my waist and 2 more on my thighs and anything on my calves.

I also think that I currently have a chest/ back imbalance, my chest is pretty mediocre but my back is pretty good, I can row the same as I can bench (is that normal?). I need to work harder on my chest because to see me from the front you wouldn’t believe my chest was 46 inches cold.

My favourite exercises are:-

Straight bar Skullcrushers because I am strong on them (PR 115.5 lbs (52.5kgs) for 9 reps)

Barbell Rows, I love back

Push Presses as I only recently discovered this great shoulder exercise

Barbell Squats, these I like because up until recently I thought because of my foot condition (I have literally no ankle movement to speak of, due to having oval ankle joints) that it would be inpossible to do these, but I proved myself wrong and am looking forward to getting much stronger on this exercise.

Anywho thats enough info for now, I hope I've cured your insomnia.:)

Mik
08-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Good luck with your goals Maccer. I'm in the same boat as you as far as chest/back goes. I can't even bench what I can row. Bah! How do you like HST? I've never tried it myself.

Maccer101
08-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks Mik, like I said the change to HST has been very refreshing but I think that the first week of each 2 week block is too easy but I am definately going to stick with full body routines for the forseeable future. I would recommend that everyone try it just to see that other methods apart from their own actually do work and can lead to lots of new ideas on how you can train effectively, also the first time you try doing a full body workout with 15 rep sets it almost kills you! I also like the idea that if you don't train a body part to extreme failure you can train it multiple times in a week. It can be a bit strange though as I am the only proper trainer in the gym that doesn't use a split routine.

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 02:06 AM
Well I fininshed my 2 weeks of 10 reps training and I have to say I was suprised with the results, I broke all Personal Bests on weights that I have been unable to progress on for the last 4-6 months of HIT training! Serrweeet.

e.g I have been stuck at 6-8 clean reps at 176lbs for Barbell rows, on tuesday I did 12 very clean reps with 181.5lbs, it was supposed to be 10 reps training but I didn't want to stop. I love HST right now.

In my first post I said I might modify my training to a 1 week cycle, but after this I may only change it to 4-5 sessions instead of 6 sessions at each rep range.

I want to tell people in my Gym about this as it is making me excited (how sad am I?) but everyone does split volume training, and whilst some say you should try different things they all do the same thing week in week out, I'm not saying I've found the best way, but my training right now is so refreshing and challenging I can't help but get excited, I just end up babbling all this **** to my girlfriend when I get home from the gym. Lucky shes a good listener.

Anyway 1st day of 5 rep training today, will be too easy with the submaximal weights, but I'm gonna stick with the program.

Roger & out:)

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Looks like my Journals about as popular as a Pork Pie at a Bar Mitzvah.

:cry:

Mik
08-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Mmmmm pork pie. :drooling:

aidano
08-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Good luck with the HST. I'll definitely keep an eye on your journal as I may try HST also in the next couple of months.

Anyway 1st day of 5 rep training today, will be too easy with the submaximal weights, but I'm gonna stick with the program.

Why the submaximal weights, do they not go heavy enough in your gym?

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 07:51 AM
The point to HST is to increase the weight everytime you train, inorder to be able to do this you have to start at a weight below your maximum, then every successive workout you add 5 lbs, by workout 5 (of 6) I will reach my previous Max weight & then on the 6th workout I use a weight higher than my previous max, its strange but it has worked so far.

Coke
08-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Good luck with the workouts, especially them calves because you need it bro - :D , j/k, I am probably worst...

It takes just a short while with the journals, then before you turn around, it will have a life of its own - trust me on this one...;)

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks Guys, I'm gonna throw a party when its gets to page 2.

:thumbup:

Shane
08-28-2003, 08:46 AM
:spam: Did someone say party?!?!

Good luck with the goals Maccer. Post the details of your workout man! :D

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 08:56 AM
I have attached the excel file for my Ist HST cycle, I will do session 1 of the 5 reps block today, I just remembered that all my weights are in Kgs (2.2lbs per 1kg) the numbers for Leg curls & calf raises are the plate numbers on the machine (not counting the first holeless plate).

Sorry about the kilos but we british are nuts, we weigh ourselves in stone (14lbs), measure weights in kgs, measure distance in metres but then use miles?

fuzz
08-28-2003, 09:40 AM
HST is the shiznizzie my fizzie.

Good luck.

Maccer101
08-28-2003, 09:42 AM
fuzz, please elaborate I haven't got a scooby what you just wrote

Mik
08-28-2003, 09:43 AM
LMAO!!!!!! He likes HST.

Scott S
08-28-2003, 12:27 PM
LOL. You tell 'em Snoo... err, fuzz. :D

I can't wait to try HST myself. I've been banging against a couple of plateaus (plateaux?) myself.

JustinF
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
:spam: Good luck with the goals. LOL@Fuzz.

Maccer101
08-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Well did my first 5 rep training last night, it as a bit easy with the weights, I managed to complete all 17 sets in 22 minutes! But I'm sure it will get harder by next week, If not I may have to add a couple more sets somewhere. Also I haven't done any cardio at all this week, I seem to be in limbo land at the moment as i can't make up my mind whether I should be trying to get that waist size down or whether I should try and grow more.