PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil

restless
08-21-2003, 11:31 AM
What type are you using?

After some research I found that the type I'm using is actually an extremely processed RBD (refined bleached and deodorised) type of oil. It doesn't have any taste of coconut and it smells more like some kind of artificial perfume than anything natural.

After more research I found that virgin coconut oil costs about 10 times more than what I was paying for this and that there's the cheaper "Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil" which is a mechanicaly extracted oil that doesn't use solvents like most oils, coconut or not, out there. Some of them are also steam deodorised, like this one:

Expeller pressed coconut oil (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/epco.htm)

Anyone used this? Anyone care to tell me what kinds you are using or have used?

hemants
08-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat. I don't "use" it per say other than the yummy thai curries I eat :-)

restless
08-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat.

Let's not go into this again...;)

AllUp
08-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Dunno about the oil, but isn't the cream good for stretchmarks? :/

-AllUp

hemants
08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
I know that coconut cream pie puts stretch marks on my face because it makes me smile so much :-)

johnny123
08-31-2003, 01:04 PM
restless- what results or type of results are you trying to get from the oil? ive been looking into it myself

raniali
08-31-2003, 11:30 PM
i use the expensive hand-pressed coconut oil myself. it does have a rather unique smell and flavor and took some getting used to. i won't use it when cooking for other people because of the coconut undertones left in the final food product (most people just don't appreciate 'healthy' flavorings). i use very little when cooking so the cost doesn't seem that bad.