PDA

View Full Version : Ketosis

harryhoudini66
08-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I have been monitoring my urine on a daily basis and barely entered Ketosis today. Now the problem is that I will begin my carb-up Friday evening and will continue till Saturday. Should I hold off on this since I am just in Ketosis? It has been six days?

Holto
08-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm guessing you would still need the carb up

your glycogen would still be low without hitting ketosis

bradley
08-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
I have been monitoring my urine on a daily basis and barely entered Ketosis today. Now the problem is that I will begin my carb-up Friday evening and will continue till Saturday. Should I hold off on this since I am just in Ketosis? It has been six days?

The amount of ketones in your urine is not the best indicator of ketosis. Ketosis can be divided into two general categories, ketonemia and ketonuria. Ketonemia is used to describe the actual builup of ketones in the bloodstream, which would be better indicator of ketosis than urinary ketone concentration.

Ketonuria is the buildup/excretion of ketones in the urine, and this is used to indicate ketosis because you can't have blood ketones without urinary ketones.

What I am saying is that it is possible to be in ketosis withoug having urinary ketones, and most people following a keto diet will be able to tell whether or not they are in ketosis.

dirty-c
08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Ketonemia is used to describe the actual builup of ketones in the bloodstream, which would be better indicator of ketosis than urinary ketone concentration.

Ketonuria is the buildup/excretion of ketones in the urine, and this is used to indicate ketosis because you can't have blood ketones without urinary ketones.

What I am saying is that it is possible to be in ketosis withoug having urinary ketones, and most people following a keto diet will be able to tell whether or not they are in ketosis.

I don't understand this bradley. It seems that in the 2nd paragraph you state that ketonuria must happen BEFORE ketonemia, and is thus the 1st stage of ketosis (or smallest level of depth in ketosis, if you will). However, in the 3rd paragraph, you state that it is possible to be in ketosis without being in ketonuria. If ketonuria is the 1st step, how can you be in ketosis without atleast being in ketonuria?

AllUp
08-22-2003, 08:49 AM
::BRINGS OUT RIOT SHIELD AND A BILLY CLUB::

Yeah!!! :P

J/k I think bradley switched them by accident. I would think it should say the following.

"Ketonuria is the buildup/excretion of ketones in the urine, and this is used to indicate ketosis because you can't have urinary ketones without blood ketones. "

No biggie C, Just a type-o, I think...Right?. :D
:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

bradley
08-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c

I don't understand this bradley. It seems that in the 2nd paragraph you state that ketonuria must happen BEFORE ketonemia, and is thus the 1st stage of ketosis (or smallest level of depth in ketosis, if you will). However, in the 3rd paragraph, you state that it is possible to be in ketosis without being in ketonuria. If ketonuria is the 1st step, how can you be in ketosis without atleast being in ketonuria?

Yes I just had the phrases switched by accident. It should state that you can not have ketones present in the urine, without having ketones present in the bloodstream.

Ketonemia (ketones in the bloodstream) would be the first step, where as ketonuria would be the second step (ketones in the urine).

Sorry about the confusion.:)

Thanks Allup;)

raniali
08-22-2003, 10:20 AM
continue to stick to your schedule

the longer i followed a keto diet, the less likely the keto stick would indicate a ketogenic state or not.

harryhoudini66
08-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks. I just got back from shopping again and got lots of eggs, meats, bacon, cheese and Jell-O. I got a good variety of meat so I will not get bored. Also, I had not realized that A-1 does not have much carbs. I thought it did because I saw that Atkins make their own sauce. I figured that for them to make their own it means that normal sauces have many carbs. When I read the nutrition label on the A-1, I see it only has 3 carbs per serving.

Btw my wife has lost 15 pounds since starting her SKD and I have lost about 8-10 with my CKD.