PDA

View Full Version : What to do AFTER you've had a few beers

Moose
08-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I know many people here go out once in a while and end up having a bunch of beers............the question I have is.........what should you do when you get home from this type of night? Should you not eat for a while? Should you eat right away when you get home? What's the best way to minimize the damage before going to bed.......from a "cutting" standpoint?

steveo
08-22-2003, 12:07 AM
Drink a lot of water right after. I usually down about a gallon right after a night of drinking. Sure, I wake up like 10 times in the middle of the night, but I also don't get a hang over. As long as you count those calories in your diet and you don't do it very often.

Moose
08-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Oh yes.....I definitely know the value of drinking water before going to bed (after drinking all night).........It's the best hangover cure there is.........

The main thing I want to know is...........should I eat? or just go right to bed? I mean.....for some reason I have it in my head that after a night of drinking.....anything I eat when I get home is going to be (most likely) stored as fat.........I'm not sure where I got this idea from.........but anyway......

I've read on other "beer" threads that alchohol can really effect protein synthesis..........and also alchohol kills your ability to burn fat...................so maybe this is where I got this "theory" from........

dirty-c
08-22-2003, 08:46 AM
I undestand your confusion Moose. I'm confused myself. I know I've read (in multiple places, both bodybuilding oriented, and low-carb lifestyle oriented) that you should have a small meal atleast containing protein before drinking. However, I've also read that once you have alcohol in your system, you WILL go into ketosis because alcohol will always be used for energy in preference to food (regardless of whether its carbs, protein, fat, a mix, etc).

It seems to me then that the advice to eat something is contradictory, because it will all be stored as fat regardless of the quantity or macronutrient ratio.

I speculate this; drinking is definitely a bad decision when it comes to protein synthesis and bodyfat burning. However, if you ARE going to drink, you can atleast minimalize the negative impact on your physique by not eating anything, because it will not be successfully used to build muscle or stimulate fat loss.

When I read my own suggestion to "eat nothing", it looks and feels like horrible advice. However, when I put together the facts, it seems to be the only advice that stands to reason. I could certainly be wrong, and I look forward to hearing others' opinions on this.

bradley
08-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by dirty-c
However, I've also read that once you have alcohol in your system, you WILL go into ketosis because alcohol will always be used for energy in preference to food (regardless of whether its carbs, protein, fat, a mix, etc).

I believe you are referring to alcoholic ketoacidosis which would be related to binge drinking or going long periods without eating while consuming alcohol. Having a few drinks in the evening is not going to cause you to go into ketosis, although I would be interested to see any information you have on the topic.

It seems to me then that the advice to eat something is contradictory, because it will all be stored as fat regardless of the quantity or macronutrient ratio.

While alcohol will be the preferential energy source when present in the body, you also have to take into consideration that the energy source will eventually run out. When this happens what will the body use as fuel?

I would recommend eating a small meal that contained slow digesting proteins so as to at least provide the body with some amino acids when all the alcohol has been oxidized.

LAM
08-22-2003, 10:02 AM
distilled water and B vitamins help a LOT. drink at least a liter before going to bed along with the vitamins...

PowerManDL
08-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bradley
I believe you are referring to alcoholic ketoacidosis which would be related to binge drinking or going long periods without eating while consuming alcohol. Having a few drinks in the evening is not going to cause you to go into ketosis, although I would be interested to see any information you have on the topic.

Holy ****, that actually happens? I thought that was just some wacko drunken theory of mine that I came up with to explain how I could go on a week-long bender and eat once.

Paul Stagg
08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
If it happened to you, you wouldn't be telling us about it.

Berserker
08-23-2003, 09:24 AM
As far as eating goes depends on how many I've had. If you've had to many I would eat something. You will feel alot better in the morning. Water helps alot but food a great deal too, to prevent hangovers. The main problem is the food you eat when your drunk. Its easy to eat junk when drinking. Also what I've done is when I get up in the middle of the night, have a snack.

Steveo-Are serious about a gallon of water? There is no way I could drink that much water with a belly full of beer. 12-24 ounces and water next to my bed. Also if your getting up alot your not sleeping which is another big factor. But I've never tried it either. Not the thing to do when you pissed up drank and dead to the world though. Boy I sure sweated alot last night, the sheets are all wet???

J450n
08-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Nothing a big juicy pizza won't sort out ;)

-TIM-
08-24-2003, 12:41 AM
I only thought of one thing when I saw this thread title.

Pee.

manowar669
08-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Alcohol robs the body of vitamin B1. This is what causes shakiness (delerium tremors if serious enough) about 12-15 hours after a serious bender. Taking the B vitamins (especially B1) along with plenty of water help alleviate the problem. I'm not sure of the biomechanics involved with the alcohol and the B1, I just have that information from physicians with addictions specialties (alcohol/drugs) that I work with.

dirty-c
08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by bradley
While alcohol will be the preferential energy source when present in the body, you also have to take into consideration that the energy source will eventually run out. When this happens what will the body use as fuel?

Well, if I'm drinking, I'm usually DRINKING. As long as alcohol is the preferred energy source, and as long as I have sh*tloads of it in me, I doubt my body will change from using alcohol in preference to whole food. Meanwhile, where does that food go.....? Fat?

Also, about the ketoacidosis, I think Paul pointed out that cant be happening. Heres the way I understand the digestion of alcohol. Alcohol gets used in preference to food as fuel because it can be absorbed directly from the stomach, unlike food which must pass thorugh the intestines. Alcohol is very easily broken down into ketones. As long as there is plenty of alcohol, there will be plenty of ketones. And as long as there are tons of ketones in your system, you will be in ketosis.

Like I said, thats what I understand from what I've read. Any or all of this could be wrong. If it is wrong, I invite someone to correct me so that no one will be confused by my misleading statements. However, I have read this at many websites, mostly bodybuilding and lowcarb ones.

bradley
08-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
Well, if I'm drinking, I'm usually DRINKING. As long as alcohol is the preferred energy source, and as long as I have sh*tloads of it in me, I doubt my body will change from using alcohol in preference to whole food. Meanwhile, where does that food go.....? Fat?

Yes, but since alcohol is the preferred energy source it will not last that long, since your body is going to preferentially burn the alcohol first. Although if you were to go to bed on an empty stomach, and then the alcohol is completely oxidized where do you think the body will get nutrients from?

You also have to consider that the conversion of protein to fat is not an effecient process in the body, so if protein was being stored as fat some of the calories contained in the protein would be utilized to convert the protein into triglycerides. A slow digesting protein such as casein would take a while to be digested, so in theory you would still be providing the body with protein after the alcohol had been completely oxidized, which would decrease the probability of muscle catabolism.

Also, about the ketoacidosis, I think Paul pointed out that cant be happening.

Alcoholic ketoacidosis will not necessarily kill you, so it could very well happen if you were binge drinking.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9148987&dopt=Abstract

Heres the way I understand the digestion of alcohol. Alcohol gets used in preference to food as fuel because it can be absorbed directly from the stomach, unlike food which must pass thorugh the intestines. Alcohol is very easily broken down into ketones. As long as there is plenty of alcohol, there will be plenty of ketones. And as long as there are tons of ketones in your system, you will be in ketosis.

The site below offers a complete description of the metabolism of alcohol in the body, and it also restates my point that just because you consume alcohol does not mean that you immediately go into ketosis. Saying that the oxidation of alcohol result in ketone formation is just not accurate. There are many more steps in the process to get from alcohol to ketones.:)

If you were to go on a long binge, then yes you could go into ketosis as described above.

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/642alcoholmet.html
"The NADH may be used directly in the electron transport chain to synthesize ATP as a source of energy. This reaction has the direct effect of inhibiting the normal oxidation of fats in the fatty acid spiral and citric acid cycle.Fats may accumulate or acetyl CoA may accumulate with the resulting production of ketone bodies. Accumulation of fat in the liver can be alleviated by secreting lipids into the blood stream. The higher lipid levels in the blood may be responsible for heart attacks."

Scott S
08-26-2003, 04:34 PM
How drunk are you when you get back? Like passing out/puking drunk? In that case, I'd stay awake as long as possible, drink lots of water, and sleep on your side. ;)

Otherwise, if you are relatively in control, I'd eat a small meal, just because as bodybuilders, we know that's the thing to do before bed. :D