PDA

View Full Version : fat eradicted in beef burgers on foreman grill

WiNgS
08-22-2003, 04:34 PM
i put two beef burgers in the grill and started cooking.... i was aware of it highish fat content but grilled them anyway, i forgot to put the tray under the grill and half an hour later when i returned to the kitchen i could see what i can only describe as a puddle of fat....the foreman grill must have eradicted almost all of the fat from the burgers 20 - 30g of fat in each burger i think anyway just thought id make a post about it :D

JuniorMint6669
08-22-2003, 05:08 PM
My question... does anyone know how much fat is lost through cooking? Especially foreman grill? Is it worth me buying a foreman grill because of all the money ill save buying bad cuts of beef and low grade ground beef?

DelveyBoy
08-22-2003, 06:54 PM
i use a foreman grill,and there ace.they do get rid of alot of fat,and cook somethings faster than a normal grill

MrWebb78
08-22-2003, 06:57 PM
they cooked for a half an hour on that grill????? damn those must have been very well done. only takes me 5 or 6 minutes to make a burger, when its frozen.

WiNgS
08-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
they cooked for a half an hour on that grill????? damn those must have been very well done. only takes me 5 or 6 minutes to make a burger, when its frozen.

lol, nah it was half an hour after i ate the stuff and the fat had formed a thick layer on the kitchen board thingy :p

ryan1117
08-22-2003, 07:25 PM
I love my foreman grill, but I'll miss cooking on a "real" grill. I go back to my school apartment tomorrow. The foreman seems to cut the fat just as well as a grill, but it can't seem to replace that type of taste I get from a flame.

gopher
08-23-2003, 12:49 AM
I believe that the Foreman grill eliminates approximately 25% of the fat from a burger and even less from a steak. I can't remember where I read this but I know I saw it somewhere.

bradley
08-23-2003, 04:50 AM
It does not seem that the Foreman grill would remove any more fat than broiling/grilling on a rack, or maybe I should say significantly more. When you cook on an a rack the fat is still allowed to drain away from the meat, and if you wanted to, you could press the meat with a spatula to simulate the pressing involved when closing the lid on the Foreman grill. Granted broiling or grilling might take a little longer, but the clean up is much easier than using a Foreman grill. I could be way off base, but I though I would get some of your opinions.:D

Holto
08-23-2003, 07:11 AM
let's not underestimate the patented "slope" technology

I remember weighing the fat once and I think it was upwards of 20 g's

considerable if that's all saturated but I would rather a real bbq

bradley
08-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Holto
let's not underestimate the patented "slope" technology

Even though it is sloped, the rack would allow the fat to fall straight down. I would think that it would allow just as much fat to be removed from the meat.

Rudee
08-23-2003, 03:09 PM
A consumers group did a study on the George Foreman grill. They specifically studied the content of what was in the meat beforehand, and what was left in the tray afterward. A lot of the liquid that went to the tray was water, not all fat. Thus to assume it's all fat melting away from the meat is not true.

Holto
08-23-2003, 03:13 PM
true most meats are about 70% water

Bradley: I was more or less joking :)

J450n
08-23-2003, 03:19 PM
As i sit here literally just grilling a chicken fillet on my forman.. one word comes to mind - Convenience.

manowar669
08-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Rudee is right. Those grills do not remove any more fat than other cooking methods that separate the fat from the meat during cooking (broiling/grilling etc.). Much of the liquid runoff is water. That being said, I love mine. It is fast and convenient. All the red meat that I eat in a year is venison that I shoot myself, and I don't make much burger out of it. It's very lean to begin with.

AllUp
08-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Sorry, but this post calls for some Triumph the Insult dog..

The George Foreman grill is a great product...To Poop On!!! :P

J/k, hehe Seriously the grill is pretty key. I hade a burger at a buds house that had one about a week and a half ago. When you bite down you dont get the usual 'Mouth-O-Grease' which is pretty key. BTW I thought it removed the beef grease/juice but not fat, Thought the infomercial said like 4% from the actual meat -could be wrong though. Till it works like the infomercial says(I.E "Watch all da fat flo into da tray" -George Foreman)<Or something similar then just buy HQ ground Beef or do Turkey-Burgers w/Beef flavoring packets.

-AllUp

dirty-c
08-27-2003, 01:55 PM
I hate the way meat off a foreman tastes, especially steak. You waste a quality steak by doing it on the forman. Since it cooks so thoroughly, even the inside is brown. As far as I'm concerned, if you're gonna eat a well done steak, you might as well be eating hamburger.

Its only use is the fact that its quick and convenient. Many of us who live in little college sh*tholes have no where to put a real grill.