PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting and HIIT

unshift
08-24-2003, 11:55 AM
as i'm sure you can see by the number of threads ive posted on the topic, im trying to cut down on my bodyfat while trying to maintain/increase my lifts

anyhow, is there any good way to integrate HIIT into my routine without overtraining my legs? currently i have separate days for each lift and the assists, ie:

monday - deadlift
wednesday - bench
friday - squat

and on each of those days, perform olympic lifts as well

i'm thinking of doing AM cardio on those 3 days, then lifting later in the day. but i'd also like to incorporate some sort of HIIT in, maybe on tuesday and thursday. is this advisable, or will i burn out?

eatdirt40
08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
thats an intersting ? i would like to know 2 the other week i did HITT once but i couldnt do it again b/c i was too sore

Paul Stagg
08-25-2003, 06:51 AM
I'd start with once a week of HIIT, and see how that goes, then add more in.

You should be OK.

BigCorey75
08-27-2003, 07:39 PM
HIT and powerlifting do not mix anyway fashion or form.

HIT focuses alot on muscular failure to build muscle while powe rlifting involves overloading the muscle to lift more weight, and there fore there is really no god way to incorporate both in training.

Isaac Wilkins
08-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by BigCorey75
HIT and powerlifting do not mix anyway fashion or form.

HIT focuses alot on muscular failure to build muscle while powe rlifting involves overloading the muscle to lift more weight, and there fore there is really no god way to incorporate both in training.

HIIT, not HIT.

High Intensity Interval Training, not High Intensity Training.

He's talking about sprint intervals, that type of stuff.

john26
08-27-2003, 09:58 PM
i do a lot of hiit type work, but nothing on a program (football practice).. i also lift PL style. obviously there will be *some* decrease in your ability to gain strength, but i think the benefit in conditioning/gpp is better in the long run as well as the bodyfat drop