PDA

View Full Version : Few diet questions

Dedicated
08-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Ok I have a few questions, my diet is about 1300-1800 calories a day right now, I'm trying to slowly lose weight while building muscle. I do 60minutes cardio every single day and I lift weights 3-5 times a week. My lifting depends on how much time I have, regardless of the time though, every single set gets done, it just means that it gets done on an offday. For example I won't always do chest/back on monday, sometimes I will split it up and do chest monday and back tuesday. Also I just stopped taking an ECA, ripped fuel, I feel I really should do things naturally for a while and this way I can have some if I decide to take them again in the future. I think my diet is in order, I bought some EFA's and I take multivitamins and get enough protein.

Ok first, how important is a pre-workout shake? Is it really necessary to have something before working out? Usually I do this on an empty stomach, will I get a huge benefit if I do the recommended 20carbs/15g of protein pre-workout? What would be a good source for this if so.

Also I've started adding some carbs to my postworkout meal along with my protein shake, is this the way to go? For example yesterday I had oatmeal and a protein shake, and today I had a banana and a protein shake
after my workout, maybe 10-20min after. About 60min to 90min after I had a can of tuna, and then continued to eat every few hours small meals.

For a before bed meal, I was reading another post and got the idea of drinking a glass of milk with 2 tbs peanut butter along with my whey in order to slow the digestion. This sounds like a good idea but my question is will any of this get stored as fat? Could I add a banana to that maybe, or is eating that many carbs late at night a bad thing?

What is the deal with the carbs post-workout also, does this have to do with muscle recovery? I workout alot, and any recovery is good recovery heh.

bradley
08-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated
Ok I have a few questions, my diet is about 1300-1800 calories a day right now, I'm trying to slowly lose weight while building muscle. I do 60minutes cardio every single day and I lift weights 3-5 times a week. My lifting depends on how much time I have, regardless of the time though, every single set gets done, it just means that it gets done on an offday. For example I won't always do chest/back on monday, sometimes I will split it up and do chest monday and back tuesday. Also I just stopped taking an ECA, ripped fuel, I feel I really should do things naturally for a while and this way I can have some if I decide to take them again in the future. I think my diet is in order, I bought some EFA's and I take multivitamins and get enough protein.

It looks as though you are not eating enough calories to support your current level of activity. Have you considered cutting down on the cardio and bumping cals up a bit? What are your stats (height, weight, ~bf%)? Remember more is not necessarily better.

Ok first, how important is a pre-workout shake? Is it really necessary to have something before working out? Usually I do this on an empty stomach, will I get a huge benefit if I do the recommended 20carbs/15g of protein pre-workout? What would be a good source for this if so.

I don't know if you will see a "huge" benefit, but keep this in mind. When you work out first thing in the morning you have not eaten anything for ~8 hours or so, and training without consuming any type of nutrients in your system could lead to muscle catabolism. At the least I think you are limiting yourself on the gains that you might see from working out.

For a pre-workout shake I would recommend using something a mixture of whey protein and either maltodextrin or dextrose. I would recommend ~10-15g of whey protein and ~25-35g of carbs mixed in a small amount of water, and you can consume this about 30 minutes before training.

This will help ensure that you have some nutrients available, and you can think of it as getting a head start on post workout recovery. If you were to just consume a post workout shake your body still has to wait for the nutrients to be digested/absorbed, which takes time. With a preworkout shake you are ensuring that the body has the nutrients that it needs, when it needs them.

Also I've started adding some carbs to my postworkout meal along with my protein shake, is this the way to go? For example yesterday I had oatmeal and a protein shake, and today I had a banana and a protein shake after my workout, maybe 10-20min after. About 60min to 90min after I had a can of tuna, and then continued to eat every few hours small meals.

A post workout shake that consists of carbs and protein will aid in recovery by refilling depleted muscle glycogen stores, and also the insulin that is released will help blunt the effects of cortisol.

I would go with ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein postworkout, but you may need to adjust the amounts depending on length of workout, bw, etc.

Go ahead and drink your post workout shake immediately after training, as there is no need to wait 10-20 minutes.

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/musclerecovery.asp?article_number=6

For a before bed meal, I was reading another post and got the idea of drinking a glass of milk with 2 tbs peanut butter along with my whey in order to slow the digestion. This sounds like a good idea but my question is will any of this get stored as fat? Could I add a banana to that maybe, or is eating that many carbs late at night a bad thing?

Excess calories will be the main factor in determining if you gain weight or not, and carbs eaten at night will not magically get turned into fat. Just count the meal towards your daily calorie intake and you will be fine.:)

What is the deal with the carbs post-workout also, does this have to do with muscle recovery? I workout alot, and any recovery is good recovery heh.

Yes it has to do with muscle recovery, as I mentioned above. Here are few related studies and there are plenty more that show the benefit of carbs and protein ingested around training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10658002&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1601794&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12235033&dopt=Abstract

Dedicated
08-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Awesome thanks so much. I'm 169-173 pounds depending on the day and 5'9-5'10 or so. Yea I'm gonna try increasing my cals, today I went a little over what I was expecting to reach, I just ate when I was hungry and ended up eating this much. I will be sure to consider that before bed shake into my total since it's fairly high in cals, good to know that it won't magically get turned into fat because I think it will really help with my gains in muscle.
I need to look into getting some maltodextrin and dextrose for that pre-workout shake, every bit helps.

This was today, I also took 6 EFA's(fish oil caps), 1 multivitamin, niacin, b-6, biotin, vitamin e, liquid b12 complex, calcium, oh and 4 cups of green tea:). I notice my appetite has increased alot since not taking the ECA's I better watch myself hehe. Although this might be a good thing, when I was taking the ECA's sometimes my calories were around 1000 and this was probably hurting my gains bigtime.
Food
meal 1 banana, protein drink 289 calories 23g protein
meal 2 meatballs 270 calories 16g protein
meal 3 tuna 112.5 calories 25g protein
meal 4 nuts 500 calories 18g protein
meal 5 meatballs 270 calories 16g protein
meal 6 2 cup milk, 2 tbsp pb, 2 protein 730 calories 64g protein
Total lots of calories today 2171.5 calories 162 grams

bradley
08-25-2003, 02:16 AM
You can always add some veggies into your diet, which would give you some fiber and they are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. Also if you substituted more lean sources of meat for the meatballs, you would have more calories to play with.

You can usually find dextrose (also called corn sugar) at any store that sells home brewing supplies, and the maltodextrin can be be bought online pretty cheap.