PDA

View Full Version : How do I figure nutr.values to maintain/bulk.

Hatred
08-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Bulking is not the issue actually. I guess I Just need to know about as exactly as possible what nutritional values are required for me to maintain my present weight. If I know what I need then I will have a baseline to tweak so I can start
manipulating my diet properly. I started my bulking diet back up today and have attempted to clean it up about as much as possible. I am happy with the values and quantities of the food I have chosen.
32 oz chicken breasts
4 cans tuna
2 cups cottage cheese(1%milkfat)
16 oz yogurt
2 cups of oatmeal
16 oz 2% milk
1med banana
spread out evenly throughout the day.
Once I gain a better understanding of diet and nutrition I am sure it will be necessary to move the nutrients around at different points of the day as I learn more .
I am 6'2" 218 lbs at about (This is a GUESS) 15-20% BF
Throughout this next stage I am going to attempt to increase lean body mass while dropping a few bf points. This is all new as I am now committed and am taking everything to the next level.
any input is greatly appreciated.

bradley
08-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
Bulking is not the issue actually. I guess I Just need to know about as exactly as possible what nutritional values are required for me to maintain my present weight. If I know what I need then I will have a baseline to tweak so I can start
manipulating my diet properly.

Just take your current daily calorie intake and increase/decrease it in small increments each week until you are maintaining your current weight.

I started my bulking diet back up today and have attempted to clean it up about as much as possible. I am happy with the values and quantities of the food I have chosen.
32 oz chicken breasts
4 cans tuna
2 cups cottage cheese(1%milkfat)
16 oz yogurt
2 cups of oatmeal
16 oz 2% milk
1med banana

Just from looking at your food choices, I think it is safe to say that your fat content is a little low. Try getting ~25% of your daily cals from fat, and include fat from sources such as fish oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, and olive oil.

Once I gain a better understanding of diet and nutrition I am sure it will be necessary to move the nutrients around at different points of the day as I learn more .
I am 6'2" 218 lbs at about (This is a GUESS) 15-20% BF
Throughout this next stage I am going to attempt to increase lean body mass while dropping a few bf points. This is all new as I am now committed and am taking everything to the next level.
any input is greatly appreciated.

Gaining a significant amount of muscle while losing bf will be tough, unless you are new to training or are using AAS. I would recommend concentrating on one goal, and if you are closer to the 20% mark I would recommend focusing on decreasing your bf before attempting to gain weight.

If you post your meal times and what each meal contains I am sure you will get some helpful feedback. Also include any pre/post workout shakes that you are consuming.:)

Ace
08-25-2003, 05:42 PM
The general rule of thumb is take your bodyweight and multiply that by 15 to get total daily caloric intake. If you see weight gain, stay there, if not, up it by 500 cals until you do.

As far as the ratios, take 1g of protein/lb body weight. 20-30% fat and 40-50% quality carbs.

Hatred
08-26-2003, 10:29 AM
According to fitday I am at about 25% fats. And I will be using AAS. I go back on in about 3-4 weeks pending arrival.

dirty-c
08-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Just take your current daily calorie intake and increase/decrease it in small increments each week until you are maintaining your current weight.

How long should one watch his weight to determine whether or not they are gaining/losing weight? A couple days? A week? The only thing I know for sure is that you can't watch it on a daily basis and have it mean anything. I have seen many people post this simple advice before, but no one ever says how long of a period one should give before they can accurately determine whether or not they are gaining/losing weight.

Hatred
08-26-2003, 03:19 PM
I would assume a weekly check would suffice...

bradley
08-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c

How long should one watch his weight to determine whether or not they are gaining/losing weight? A couple days? A week? The only thing I know for sure is that you can't watch it on a daily basis and have it mean anything. I have seen many people post this simple advice before, but no one ever says how long of a period one should give before they can accurately determine whether or not they are gaining/losing weight.

In my post I state to increase/decrease cals in small increments each week, which basically means to weigh yourself once per week, at the same time each week, and adjust cals in relation to that weekly measurement (increase if you want to gain weight or decrease if you are trying to lose weight).

dirty-c
08-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Yes, upon reading it again I see that it did say each week. I just need to learn how to read, thats all. Sorry.

Havin cleared that up, the only thing I'll add is that I know its not terribly realistic to expect much more that 1lb/week of LBM, so if you're increasing bodyweight by more than a 1lb a week, odds are you're gaining fat, so you might want to adjust accordingly.

bradley
08-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
Yes, upon reading it again I see that it did say each week. I just need to learn how to read, thats all. Sorry.

No worries.;)

Havin cleared that up, the only thing I'll add is that I know its not terribly realistic to expect much more that 1lb/week of LBM, so if you're increasing bodyweight by more than a 1lb a week, odds are you're gaining fat, so you might want to adjust accordingly.

I agree, and it is probably closer to .5lb. Although everyone is different, and increasing/decreasing cals and finding out what works for you will probably be your best bet. It is a vicious trial and error process.