PDA

View Full Version : I NEED A DIET PLAN- help me!

waynis
08-25-2003, 06:02 PM
hey i wanna lose the little fat i have around my tummy and still gain muscle. can someone give me a good diet plan. i dont know exactly what to eat and when to eat it so i need help! i do take whey protein after i workout. I dont wanna sacrifice less calories just to lose the fat cuase i need the energy for my muscles. help me please. also im doing 20 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.

eatdirt40
08-26-2003, 12:28 AM
have u ever tried HITT, its known for burning fat and not sacrafising muscle.. you should do this instead of cardio.. cardio usually burns fat and muscle at the same time HITT is better if you want to keep ur muscle why burning fat, heres a link....

http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fitness_Articles/articles/January_2003_articles/hiit_and_other_interval_training.htm

bradley
08-26-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by waynis
hey i wanna lose the little fat i have around my tummy and still gain muscle. can someone give me a good diet plan. i dont know exactly what to eat and when to eat it so i need help! i do take whey protein after i workout. I dont wanna sacrifice less calories just to lose the fat cuase i need the energy for my muscles. help me please. also im doing 20 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.

Unless you are new to training or using AAS the probability of gaining any significant amount of muscle while losing bf is not very good. I would recommend concentrating on one goal at a time. I have posted the information below in various threads, and you can use this to plan out a diet. Once you have something planned out, then you can post it and I am sure you will get some helpful feedback. It would be tough for someone to plan out a diet for you, without knowing things such as height, weight, schedule, food choices, etc. All these variables will come into play when trying to plan a diet.

Food choices:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

bradley
08-26-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by eatdirt40
have u ever tried HITT, its known for burning fat and not sacrafising muscle.. you should do this instead of cardio.. cardio usually burns fat and muscle at the same time HITT is better if you want to keep ur muscle why burning fat, heres a link....

It is quite possible to cause muscle catabolism when performing HIIT as it is with any type of exercise. HIIT has benefits yes, but so does moderate intensity cardio. I would not recommend performing HIIT cardio 5 days per week, and a combination of HIIT and moderate intensity cardio would probably be the best choice.

I am just trying to make the point that HIIT and moderate intensity cardio can both be beneficial, and to say that one causes muscle catabolism and one preferentially burns fat is not accurate.:)

waynis
08-26-2003, 04:21 PM
i am 5 11" 195 pounds currently:) but i still have that little fat around the belly i need to get rid of. just like a inch i cant get rid of. my waist is a 31" I dont do that much cardio for the fact that i dont wanna lose muscle. i run a mile 5 days a week. on my lifting days i jog it. on my cardio days i sprint it. then i do eliptical climber for 10 minutes or bike. so im doing no more then 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. As far as calories go i have increased my calorie intake and it is really working. i am really feeling growth. i was at 188 for awhile, now im at 195. that happend over just 2 weeks. the cardio is keeping me at 195 though. in the fall and winter i am gonna bulk but its still summer so i wanna stay sorta slim and try to get that six pack out.(never ending battle:( ) I have a slow metabolism so i have to have a pretty strick diet to look good. i just think i dont eat the right things at the right time. i dont eat carbs late at all. im trying to get in as much protein as possible. can anyone reccomend a fat burning pill that doesnt have ephedra or caffeine? thanks

bradley
08-26-2003, 04:27 PM
You should expect to gain some fat while trying to increase LBM. I am not saying it is impossible to lose fat and gain muscle, but I think you will see better results if you were to pick one goal to focus on.

What does your diet currently look like? If you are stuck at 195lbs. You are going to either have to increase calories or cut back on the cardio, basically create a calorie surplus. That is if gaining LBM is what you are shooting for. If you are trying to lose bf then you need to decrease your cals by a small amount.

waynis
08-26-2003, 08:39 PM
my diet

raison brain and some egg whites for breakfast

hoagie or sandwich for lunch

whey protein shake and a can of tuna after workout

dinner is my higher calorie food, high protein, fat and some carbs. usually eat around 5-7

only thing i ever eat before bed is 2% cottage cheese or tuna

vitamins

i take vitamin C, E, B, beta carotene, Fish oil, calcium pyruvate, n L cysteine, L- glutamamine, ginko biloba, and all the aminos in my protein.

shansen008
08-26-2003, 08:46 PM
I would spread the food out over a couple more meals, get rid of the sandwich for lunch and go with a piece of chicken or fish instead. Throw some flax seed oil and natural peanut butter into your protein shake and drink it before your workout. I ususally down just some straight whey (about 35g) right before bed.

bradley
08-27-2003, 03:02 AM
my diet

raison brain and some egg whites for breakfast

hoagie or sandwich for lunch

whey protein shake and a can of tuna after workout

dinner is my higher calorie food, high protein, fat and some carbs. usually eat around 5-7

only thing i ever eat before bed is 2% cottage cheese or tuna

Throw in some carbs with your post workout shake and eat the tuna at some other time during the day. Maybe add in some dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

Also looks as though you could use more fat in your diet, and I would recommend taking in ~25% of your daily cals from fat. Maybe throw in some olive oil or a handful of nuts, in addition to your fish oil supplement.

How much protein are you taking in each day?

You might consider throwing in another meal between breakfast and lunch if you are trying to increase your cals.

bradley
08-27-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by shansen008
Throw some flax seed oil and natural peanut butter into your protein shake and drink it before your workout.

I would not recommend peanut butter before training, because it will slow the absorption of the whey and will also sit heavy on the stomach during your training session.

I ususally down just some straight whey (about 35g) right before bed.

A slow digesting protein such as casein would be better suited, seeing as how whey digests very rapidly.

waynis
08-27-2003, 12:39 PM
i get a over 100 grams of protein a day, probably not my body wieght though, its expensive. im allergic to peanut butter and nuts. also i heard casein wasnt good for u . its this true?
wouldnt egg protein be good before bed cuase it desolves slow?

bradley
08-27-2003, 03:50 PM
i get a over 100 grams of protein a day, probably not my body wieght though, its expensive.

I would attempt to get at least .8-1g of protein per lb. of bw, just to make sure that you are taking in adequate amounts of protein. I am sure you could get by with more, but a little extra is better than not enough.

Protein is not that expensive, and if you shop around you can find good deals on various protein sources, and don't forget to include your protein from veggies, grains etc. Even though they usually are limited by specific amino acids, they can be combined with other protein sources in your diet to make up for the lack of that specific amino acid.

im allergic to peanut butter and nuts.

There are plenty of other healthy fat sources, such as olive oil, sih oil, flax, etc.

also i heard casein wasnt good for u . its this true?

Unless you have an allergy, no.

wouldnt egg protein be good before bed cuase it desolves slow?

Yes, the egg protein would be better than the whey, although a little bit of cottage cheese would work just as well.:)

waynis
08-28-2003, 11:32 AM
cool, thanks