PDA

View Full Version : bench assistance lifts

unshift
08-26-2003, 06:02 PM
can anyone name some good benching assist lifts?

currently i'm doing:
flat bench
incline bench
JM press or close grips
skull crushers
military press
lateral raise
(and then rotary cuff work)

i'm having trouble with the skulls though, they really hurt my wrists. i'd really like to change up the triceps/shoulders portion.

also -- will doing snatches and clean & jerks help with bench explosivity? i can see they've tremendously helped my DL and squat, but what can they do for shoulders?

JNowiski
08-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Whats your DL routine (or what did you do to raise it)?

unshift
08-26-2003, 07:45 PM
i started doing a lot more olympic lifting (like 30-50% of the routine) more or less every day i lift, and worked the posterior chain and grip really hard. i haven't been focusing on quads much lately (snatches take care of them though)

Paul Stagg
08-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Where is your sticking point on the bench?

unshift
08-27-2003, 11:24 AM
all over. it's just generally weak.

i'd say mostly coming off the chest and locking out. i recently started resting the bar a little higher on my chest (mid-chest level, rather than extremely low) and noticed my shoulders are having an easier time starting off.

i'd do 3 board presses for lockout, but i train alone. as for takeoff, what's good? floor benching?

Paul Stagg
08-27-2003, 11:28 AM
To work the bottom, I do DB presses. Illegal wides might help, as might cambered bar work.

Speed would help, too.

unshift
08-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg
To work the bottom, I do DB presses. Illegal wides might help, as might cambered bar work.

Speed would help, too.

what kind of speed? just benching as fast as possible? (but safely)

i do lots of olympic lifts, so i'm getting pretty fast (squat/DL/clean/snatch anyway). would those help my bench as well?

and by DB presses, you mean vertically overhead, correct?

Paul Stagg
08-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Speed bench (ala Westside).

No I mean DB benching.