PDA

View Full Version : Bulking calories above maintenance yet again.

hemants
08-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Okay, I posted previously based on the assumption that 3500 extra calories combined with proper training and diet would yield 1 lb of muscle.

But is this actually true? 3500 is the number of calories in a pound of fat.

What exactly is the extra energy required to build a pound of lbm?

Anyone actually know or do you have to engage in trial and error?

Paul Stagg
08-27-2003, 03:32 PM
It varies - I've never seen anyone give an actual number.

hemants
08-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Reasonable range?

bradley
08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by hemants
Okay, I posted previously based on the assumption that 3500 extra calories combined with proper training and diet would yield 1 lb of muscle.

But is this actually true? 3500 is the number of calories in a pound of fat.

What exactly is the extra energy required to build a pound of lbm?

Anyone actually know or do you have to engage in trial and error?

I have seen a post on MFW in which Lyle stated that it took approximately 1200-2400 cals over maintenance to gain a pound of muscle, but that would be assuming that all the calories were being partioned straight to the muscle cells. You would have to take into account the calories that are being partitioned into the fat cells as well.

So that leads me to believe trial and error will offer the best results.

eatdirt40
08-27-2003, 08:23 PM
i had to do trial and error till i foind a good amount of calories so i gained 1 pound a week just keep adding 500 calories a week till ugain a pound and makemsure to eat 25-30% fat 50- 65% carbs and 1llb for protein

Scott S
08-27-2003, 09:37 PM
The figure I heard was that there are about 600 calories per lb of muscle. However, I'm sure Lyle's recommendation is better.

Scott S
08-27-2003, 09:38 PM
Also, isn't it only possible to gain about 1/2 lb muscle per week anyway?

bradley
08-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Scott S
The figure I heard was that there are about 600 calories per lb of muscle. However, I'm sure Lyle's recommendation is better.

If you were to calculate the total amount of calories contained in a pound of muscle, then yes you are correct, but hemants was asking how many cals it takes to add a pound of muscle.

Also, isn't it only possible to gain about 1/2 lb muscle per week anyway?

It is quite possible to gain more than a .5lb per week, but this would depend on the individual. For most people gaining around .5lb per week is a reasonable goal, but some would have no problem gaining more. Again it is just a trial and error process.

hemants
08-28-2003, 06:47 AM
Interestingly I've recently read that a study showed that lean people add 70% muscle and 30% fat whereas fat people add 40% muscle and 60% fat.

In any case, in the absence of a calculated number it appears that maybe 200-500 extra calories per day seems like a reasonable range.

What I would love to hear is personal testimony from people who either got it right or got it wrong. How many calories per day did you add and what results did you get?

I've been on 400-500 extra calories per day and I've gained about 5 pounds in two weeks and noticed my gut starting to protrude. This is obviously a bit too aggressive for me! (165lbs 13% bf two weeks ago).

I'm going to try to cut it back to 250-350 for the time being.

bradley
08-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Interestingly I've recently read that a study showed that lean people add 70% muscle and 30% fat whereas fat people add 40% muscle and 60% fat.

Will you post the study? Sounds interesting especially if it give the bf%, calorie intake, etc., and also if it relates to athletes. Thanks in advance.:)

I've been on 400-500 extra calories per day and I've gained about 5 pounds in two weeks and noticed my gut starting to protrude. This is obviously a bit too aggressive for me! (165lbs 13% bf two weeks ago).

I'm going to try to cut it back to 250-350 for the time being.

Do you attribute some of this weight gain to water retention or glycogen?

hemants
08-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Sorry not a study per say, just a reference to it here:

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/gain.htm

I suppose some of the weight gain might have been water or glycogen. I'm not sure! Any advice?

Scott S
08-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Gotcha, and gotcha bradley. :bow:

I saw a graph once and now I can't find it (arggh!) where it showed how eating over maintenance affects lean and obese people. The lean people (I'm not sure if they were training or not) gained some lean tissue and fat. However, as their bodyfat % went up, they gained more fat than lean mass.

When they lost weight, they lost more fat than muscle in the beginning, then began to lose more muscle as they became very lean. Basically, this isn't anything we don't know, but seeing it in a graph put it into perspective for me. :)

dirty-c
08-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bradley
...I have seen a post on MFW in which Lyle stated that it took approximately 1200-2400 cals over maintenance to gain a pound of muscle....

Is that per day or per week?

hemants
08-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Per whenever. ie. 1200-2400 total extra calories would allow you to gain one pound of muscle. ie. 85-171 calories per day would allow you to gain 1 lb of muscle in two weeks.

bradley
08-28-2003, 05:13 PM
I suppose some of the weight gain might have been water or glycogen. I'm not sure! Any advice?

How much have you increased your calories, and over how much time did the increase take place?

I would probably stick with your original plan to cut cals back a bit, and then re-evaluate your progress after a week or two. If you only increase your cals 500 over maintenance, then I would suspect that some of that could be attributed to water/glycogen weight.

hemants
08-29-2003, 07:33 AM
Update :

I guess I'm looking at my weight to frequently. I checked last night and my weight is only up 3.5 since I began bulking.

But my stomach is definately showing more than I like. I suppose I'll have to cut out that 1/2 cookie that I've been having with my afternoon coffee (never seemed to be a problem while cutting), and generally exhibit more discipline with cheat foods.