PDA

View Full Version : Insulin too sensitive?

Behemoth
08-27-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm a little concerned about myself lately. It seems my insulin is too senisitive.

It's not that I get too much of an energy burst after consuming carbs, it's the insane drop I get after them. Even with low GI carbs and a moderate amount (2 pieces of 100% WW bread, about 40g carbs) about 20 minutes later I get a drastic drop that pretty much puts me to sleep. Even when the meal is coupled with adequate protein and quality fats.

Now when it comes to high GI carbs I'm pretty much screwed.

ProfessorP
08-27-2003, 08:05 PM
I am kinda the same way. There seems to be a small window of energy that I have to take advantage of or else I am dragging ass all day long (or until I eat again). Wonder what it could be? I get adequate sleep....

john26
08-27-2003, 09:53 PM
i get this with oatmeal, but only if i eat 1 and a half cups of it at once, so i just split that up during the day

i don't know why, but eating a large amount of oatmeal made me super tired even when i had just woken up after 8 to 9 hours of sleep

the only other time i consume a large amount of carbs is post workout and it makes me tired too, but i can't complain b/c i lift at night

what sucks is during football practice the team is usually given carb/protein drinks during long practices, and i have to skip them because they make me tired :mad:

JuniorMint6669
08-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Behemoth- are you taking any sups? Maybe ALA? That could drop your bloodsugar waaaaay low and the low GI carbs dont digest fast enough to keep it stable. Then again, you could be taking nothing in which case I have no idea :D

bradley
08-28-2003, 02:46 AM
How large are your meals? Could be due to an increased amount of typtophan crossing the blood brain barrier, which could cause you to become lethargic.

Also have you had your fasting blood sugar levels checked? Might be something worth looking into, especially if you have a family history of diabetes.

john26
08-28-2003, 11:07 AM
my mom had diabetes, and everytime i go to the doctors they test me for it, and have for the past year

sucks :) is there some sort of percentage that gets diabetes if their parent had it or is it just luck?

Behemoth
08-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Only supplent I'm on is whey.

Bradley, I'm bulking, eat about 6 meals a day each consisting of roughly 600-1000 cal per meal. I don't think its typtophan because I can eat turkey and other foods notably high in it with no problem. Just today, I draaaaged through schoool until lunch time, then an hour after lunch I became very lethargic again. I just ate a few minutes ago, feeling great so far but probably in another 20 minutes or so I'll be out.

Oh, and theres no diabetes in my family that I can think of.

bradley
08-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Bradley, I'm bulking, eat about 6 meals a day each consisting of roughly 600-1000 cal per meal. I don't think its typtophan because I can eat turkey and other foods notably high in it with no problem. Just today, I draaaaged through schoool until lunch time, then an hour after lunch I became very lethargic again. I just ate a few minutes ago, feeling great so far but probably in another 20 minutes or so I'll be out.

Tryptophan is not removed from the blood by the actions of insulin, which would cause you to have a higher concentration of tryptophan in your blood, and therefore more is able to cross the blood brain barrier.

Another more simplistic solution is that the large meals are causing the lethargy, due to the fact that your body is having to digest these large meals. This leads to more blood being used in the digestive process and less going to your brain.

bradley
08-28-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by john26
my mom had diabetes, and everytime i go to the doctors they test me for it, and have for the past year

sucks :) is there some sort of percentage that gets diabetes if their parent had it or is it just luck?

Type II diabetes can be hereditary, and also factors such as being overweight can cause it as well.

john26
08-28-2003, 08:46 PM
lol bad luck for me.. is there any window age wise where you'll likely be "diagnosed"?

bradley
08-29-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by john26
lol bad luck for me.. is there any window age wise where you'll likely be "diagnosed"?

I really not sure.:)

Diabetes does not occur overnight, and some people will be diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) before being considered a full fledged diabetic.

The best thing to do would be to continue to follow a healthy diet and keep bf levels under control.